KV8 SE deluxe make hd work in ide mode?

why

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001

I can't get my 4th hd to work in the pri-raid ide spot.
I have 2 hds in pri_ide & 1 hd & a DVD in sec_ide spot.

I have set the promise controller to enabled & set the operating mode
to ide. On boot up the bios sees it but Win 98SE bitches about no
extended memory (press a key) after that it will boot & see the drive.
this is a dual boot with win XP. On booting XP the drive is not shown
at all.

I have 4 new WD 800 80 gig drives all set to cable select . I have
tried the 4th (one on pri-raid ide) to master & it did the same.

Has anyone used hds on this port as regular hds?
Thanks if you can help.

irv

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

you might want to check out this forum which has guys more specific to that
mboard
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showforum=25

">I can't get my 4th hd to work in the pri-raid ide spot.
> I have 2 hds in pri_ide & 1 hd & a DVD in sec_ide spot.
>
> I have set the promise controller to enabled & set the operating mode
> to ide. On boot up the bios sees it but Win 98SE bitches about no
> extended memory (press a key) after that it will boot & see the drive.
> this is a dual boot with win XP. On booting XP the drive is not shown
> at all.
>
> I have 4 new WD 800 80 gig drives all set to cable select . I have
> tried the 4th (one on pri-raid ide) to master & it did the same.
>
> Has anyone used hds on this port as regular hds?
> Thanks if you can help.

Paul

Splendid

In article <bqo2a15n05bon3cb2rep0ucmdmc3ush81v@4ax.com>, bynow@nogood.com wrote:

> I can't get my 4th hd to work in the pri-raid ide spot.
> I have 2 hds in pri_ide & 1 hd & a DVD in sec_ide spot.
>
> I have set the promise controller to enabled & set the operating mode
> to ide. On boot up the bios sees it but Win 98SE bitches about no
> extended memory (press a key) after that it will boot & see the drive.
> this is a dual boot with win XP. On booting XP the drive is not shown
> at all.
>
> I have 4 new WD 800 80 gig drives all set to cable select . I have
> tried the 4th (one on pri-raid ide) to master & it did the same.
>
> Has anyone used hds on this port as regular hds?
> Thanks if you can help.

When you set the Promise 20378 to IDE mode, there is an
"ATA" driver that needs to be installed in the system.
Check the download page on support.asus.com.tw and you
should find a "RAID" driver and an "ATA" driver. In IDE
mode, you want the latter of those two drivers.

The support.asus.com.tw page will give you info on
release date for the driver. You can also look in the
FTP folder with all the Promise drivers, but you won't
be able to figure out which is which. At least the
naming convention isn't helping me decide which one
to choose:

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/misc/ide/pdc20378/

Just a word of warning. I had a funny experience when I
connected an already formatted and partitioned disk to
the Promise controller. My first partition was invisible
when I tried to examine the disk. This is possibly caused
by the Promise controller continuing to use a reserved
sector on the disk, even though the drive is not being
used in RAID mode (I wish I had a testing tool that could
verify that for me). I would expect, if you format and
partition the disk, after it is installed on the system,
there shouldn't be any problems. If you plan to move the
disk from the Promise, to another computer, it might be
a good idea to test that the partitions are visible on
both systems.

HTH,
Paul

Win98SE does not support using a disk on the PATA, even with the drivers
loaded.

Bobby

> In article <bqo2a15n05bon3cb2rep0ucmdmc3ush81v@4ax.com>, bynow@nogood.com
> wrote:
>
>> I can't get my 4th hd to work in the pri-raid ide spot.
>> I have 2 hds in pri_ide & 1 hd & a DVD in sec_ide spot.
>>
>> I have set the promise controller to enabled & set the operating mode
>> to ide. On boot up the bios sees it but Win 98SE bitches about no
>> extended memory (press a key) after that it will boot & see the drive.
>> this is a dual boot with win XP. On booting XP the drive is not shown
>> at all.
>>
>> I have 4 new WD 800 80 gig drives all set to cable select . I have
>> tried the 4th (one on pri-raid ide) to master & it did the same.
>>
>> Has anyone used hds on this port as regular hds?
>> Thanks if you can help.
>
> When you set the Promise 20378 to IDE mode, there is an
> "ATA" driver that needs to be installed in the system.
> Check the download page on support.asus.com.tw and you
> should find a "RAID" driver and an "ATA" driver. In IDE
> mode, you want the latter of those two drivers.
>
> The support.asus.com.tw page will give you info on
> release date for the driver. You can also look in the
> FTP folder with all the Promise drivers, but you won't
> be able to figure out which is which. At least the
> naming convention isn't helping me decide which one
> to choose:
>
> ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/misc/ide/pdc20378/
>
> Just a word of warning. I had a funny experience when I
> connected an already formatted and partitioned disk to
> the Promise controller. My first partition was invisible
> when I tried to examine the disk. This is possibly caused
> by the Promise controller continuing to use a reserved
> sector on the disk, even though the drive is not being
> used in RAID mode (I wish I had a testing tool that could
> verify that for me). I would expect, if you format and
> partition the disk, after it is installed on the system,
> there shouldn't be any problems. If you plan to move the
> disk from the Promise, to another computer, it might be
> a good idea to test that the partitions are visible on
> both systems.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

why

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001

>Win98SE does not support using a disk on the PATA, even with the drivers
>loaded.
>
>Bobby

Thanks, I guess I will have to buy a pci HD card.