Good evening,

I have a Compaq Presario 4620, Pentium II 266Mhz. I would like to upgrade
this desktop computer to install windows xp pro service pack 2. I do not
know very well about desktop computer. Please tell me, what should I
upgrade?

1. Can I use Pentium 4 with this motherboard (Titan II)?
2. Can I replace the sound and video cards?

Please tell me what should I upgrade this computer to run windows XP pro
smoothly.

Best regards,

Luise

1. No you cannot.

2. Yes, you can.

The specifications of this computer do not meet the minimum requirements to
run WindowsXP. It would need far too much spent on it to reach the
standard (P4) that you seem to require, at this point in time, you need to
consider purchasing a new computer. To reach a P4 (even the minimum P4),
you are looking at replacing:

Motherboard
CPU
RAM
PSU
and possibly, audio, graphics etc etc.

www.coribright.com

"Luise" <luise@hollymail.com> wrote in message
> Good evening,
>
> I have a Compaq Presario 4620, Pentium II 266Mhz. I would like to upgrade
> this desktop computer to install windows xp pro service pack 2. I do not
> know very well about desktop computer. Please tell me, what should I
> upgrade?
>
> 1. Can I use Pentium 4 with this motherboard (Titan II)?
> 2. Can I replace the sound and video cards?
>
> Please tell me what should I upgrade this computer to run windows XP pro
> smoothly.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Luise

Unfortunately, your Compaq computer is pretty much obsolete
and not worth upgrading. A Pentium 4 processor would require
a new Pentium 4 processor compatible motherboard and also
a new Pentium 4 compatible Power Supply.

You would be much better off purchasing a new PC.
Suggestion: http://www.dell.com/

or

Compaq Presario PCs
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/generic_category.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@0302711908.1094073815@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadcmhdggjehcfngcfkmdfondfgg.0&catLevel=1&storeName=computer_store&landing=desktops&category=compaq_presario

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Luise" wrote:

| Good evening,
|
| I have a Compaq Presario 4620, Pentium II 266Mhz. I would like to upgrade
| this desktop computer to install windows xp pro service pack 2. I do not
| know very well about desktop computer. Please tell me, what should I
| upgrade?
|
| 1. Can I use Pentium 4 with this motherboard (Titan II)?
| 2. Can I replace the sound and video cards?
|
| Please tell me what should I upgrade this computer to run windows XP pro
| smoothly.
|
| Best regards,
|
| Luise

You can keep the case and junk the rest.

"Luise" <luise@hollymail.com> wrote in message
> Good evening,
>
> I have a Compaq Presario 4620, Pentium II 266Mhz. I would like to upgrade
> this desktop computer to install windows xp pro service pack 2. I do not
> know very well about desktop computer. Please tell me, what should I
> upgrade?
>
> 1. Can I use Pentium 4 with this motherboard (Titan II)?
> 2. Can I replace the sound and video cards?
>
> Please tell me what should I upgrade this computer to run windows XP pro
> smoothly.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Luise

If it's a micro-atx case, probably junk that as well!
www.coribright.com

"Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You can keep the case and junk the rest.

bar

Your old Compaq is far behind the current race and has little on it that is
worthwhile with a current PC.

Every aspect is slow, USB is 1 not 2. FSB will not be anything like the
current 333 standard, and on and on.

About the only thing reusable will be the Monitor, Keyboard and mouse plus
Optical Drive, the Floppy Drive and your hard drive [maybe as a backup,
because even this is slow by todau's standards].

Save yourself a lot of pain: buy a 'white box' system, with DVD- Burner,
lots of Memory, Hard Drive, Windows XP [it'll be the OEM edition, but that's
fine and cheaper than full retail]. All this should cost you less than US $
400!

Get it up and running, then run Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in order
to create the diskette to run on your old PC. Run FAST on the Old PC.

Move the old hard drive and optical drive into the new PC.

After windows is up and running with the additional drives, you can run FAST
to import all your documents, email etc into the new XP system.

After that's done reformat the old hard drive and use it to store video
files and all the MP3s your heart desires or be sensible and use it to
'image' your XP system. You'll need Ghost or Drive Image for that purpose.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If it's a micro-atx case, probably junk that as well!
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Nick Burns" <thedoc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > You can keep the case and junk the rest.

Hello,

The good news: You can keep your computer!

A Pentium II 266MHz is just fine, but you will need to upgrade to at
least 128MB.
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx)

The bad news: The Compaq Presario 4620 requires hard-to-find PC66
SDRAM system memory. The maximum amount is 256MB (2x 128MB).
(http://h30094.www3.hp.com/memoryconfig.asp?cat=Desktops&mfg=HP&pl=Presario&model=Presario+4620)

Anyway, upgrading the system memory is a lot cheaper than buying a
brand new computer, even with PC66 SDRAM.
You should find what you need on eBay.
(http://search.ebay.com/PC66_SDRAM_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQsacategoryZ14913)

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Bernhard

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:00:51 +0200, "Luise" <luise@hollymail.com>
wrote:

>Good evening,
>
>I have a Compaq Presario 4620, Pentium II 266Mhz. I would like to upgrade
>this desktop computer to install windows xp pro service pack 2. I do not
>know very well about desktop computer. Please tell me, what should I
>upgrade?
>
>1. Can I use Pentium 4 with this motherboard (Titan II)?
>2. Can I replace the sound and video cards?
>
>Please tell me what should I upgrade this computer to run windows XP pro
>smoothly.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Luise

TRENDING THREADS