Switch from Promise to VIA A8V v2.

I currently have two WD Raptors on the Promise chip (20378) on a Asus A8V
deluxe v2. (latest bios)
What is the process to reconnect these drives to the VIA controller? Is it
just a matter switching the plugs
around and reboot? Or, do I have to do a format and reinstall of raid
drivers a OS?

Thanks,
Art C.

On mine I just installed the VIA raid driver and it worked well.
Gilbert

"Art C." <artcomm@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I currently have two WD Raptors on the Promise chip (20378) on a Asus A8V
>deluxe v2. (latest bios)
> What is the process to reconnect these drives to the VIA controller? Is
> it just a matter switching the plugs
> around and reboot? Or, do I have to do a format and reinstall of raid
> drivers a OS?
>
> Thanks,
> Art C.

The phisical move is just like this: move the cables.
However, unless you have installed already (or before the change of cables)
the drivers for the VIA SATA RAID controller on the OS the system might not
recognize them.
If RAID is the boot disc, also mind to update the boot sequence on BIOS,
after the cable change and before to boot again.
Anyway, the risck is low, you can revert back quickly.
I've moved a RAID-0 to a new motherboard with different controller and
worked fine when booting.
The RAID was recognized properly with the previous configuration and all the
data.

In article <d8gsj3$sj2@eui1nw.euskaltel.es>, jl.garate@euskalnet.net says...

>The phisical move is just like this: move the cables.
>However, unless you have installed already (or before the change of cables)
>the drivers for the VIA SATA RAID controller on the OS the system might not
>recognize them.
>If RAID is the boot disc, also mind to update the boot sequence on BIOS,
>after the cable change and before to boot again.
>Anyway, the risck is low, you can revert back quickly.
>I've moved a RAID-0 to a new motherboard with different controller and
>worked fine when booting.
>The RAID was recognized properly with the previous configuration and all
the
>data.

I tried moving my SATA RAID 0 disks from Promise to VIA last night on my
A8V, and was up until 3AM getting it work again, back in the original state.

I did install the VIA RAID driver from A8V CD, and I was careful to honor
the Drive 1 and 2 socket numbering, but after the move, I got a "disk error"
at boot. BIOS didnt see any RAID drives, it saw them as individuals. The
RAID BIOS Create Partition seemed to require reformating drives. Any extra
words about that would be appreciated. What am I missing?

But I had Ghost backups, so I said "why not?" and proceeded to create and
format. Only way I had to format them was XP install CD, so I did that
using F6 key. I terminated that install early after the format, thinking I
would just restore with Ghost. I think that early termination was the
mistake. The disks worked fine, and XP saw the CD fine, and Ghost would
boot on the CD fine, but Ghost couldnt see its own CD at C: then to start
Ghost. Said no valid drive for CD2, which I assume is the C: it couldnt
see. This is a mystery to me.

My situation was the CD on VIA primary, two IDE disk drives on VIA
secondary, and the two bootable raid drives on VIA SATA.

Finally I decided to move the RAID disks back to Promise, which seemed to
need another RAID create and another format, and another XP install,
terminated early, and then the same problem, Ghost would boot Dos from CD,
but couldnt see its CD at C:

After piddling without result, finally I allowed the XP install to fully
complete and boot its final system. After that, then Ghost worked fine to
restore the original system (overwriting the install), and then no more
problem imaginable, just like old times again. So I think I may try it
again that way on the VIA, but any additional words of wisdom about moving
Promise to VIA are very much appreciated. Moving the cables seems to need
a little more?

Wayne