Firewire ADSL conflict

bill

I run an ADSL external modem through my LAN port to
connect to the Internet. When installing a Firewire card
for video, I loose my Internet connection. My computer
still connects to the Internet, but I cannot access any
Web pages or receive email. MSN Messenger does not
connect either. I have tried disabling the IE1394 network
connection but that does not help. I have to remove the
Firewire card and restore beyond when I installed it to
get my Internet service back.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how to solve
it?

Thanks.

Have you tried restoring back to when the network connection works, turn
off the PC, put the card in a different PCI slot, then boot up and see
if it works?

----
Nathan McNulty

Bill wrote:
> I run an ADSL external modem through my LAN port to
> connect to the Internet. When installing a Firewire card
> for video, I loose my Internet connection. My computer
> still connects to the Internet, but I cannot access any
> Web pages or receive email. MSN Messenger does not
> connect either. I have tried disabling the IE1394 network
> connection but that does not help. I have to remove the
> Firewire card and restore beyond when I installed it to
> get my Internet service back.
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening and how to solve
> it?
>
> Thanks.

Yes and without any success. I have even installed a LAN
card, switch the modem from the motherboard LAN to that,
but I get the same problem. It seems like the ADSL modem
only wants to connect to the motherboard port and refuses
to work with a Firewire (IE1394) card or another LAN card
in the system. It's very frustrating. I would really like
to download my digital video but the software doesn't
work with USB 2, only freaking Firewire. *sigh*

Thanks for the help. :)

Yes. I have tried it with no success. I have even bought
a PCI LAN card and tried to install it but the same thing
happens. No matter what card I install that is capable of
being a network adapter, my Internet goes bad. It still
connects but I cannot see any Web pages or check email.

Thanks for the help.

At this point I am out of suggestions mainly because I do not use
Firewire and don't fully know how to troubleshoot it. I would contact
the video camera makers and see if they can offer any assistance ;)

----
Nathan McNulty