XP not detecting sata drive as 200gb

I recently put together a new system with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and a
200gb SATA hard drive, everything went ok untill I started windows and
it reported that I had only got a 127 mb drive installed, can anyone
help me as to what I have got to do to get windows to recognise the
200gb hard drive?

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
200gb Barracuda SATA150 Hard drive
Athlon 64 4000+ processor
Corsair TWINX 1024 memeory
XFX GeForce 6800gt

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-XP-detecting-sata-drive-200gb-ftopict56676.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=284918
4 answers Last reply
More about detecting sata drive 200gb

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp

    "borisky" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > I recently put together a new system with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and a
    > 200gb SATA hard drive, everything went ok untill I started windows and
    > it reported that I had only got a 127 mb drive installed, can anyone
    > help me as to what I have got to do to get windows to recognise the
    > 200gb hard drive?
    >

    > Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    > 200gb Barracuda SATA150 Hard drive
    > Athlon 64 4000+ processor
    > Corsair TWINX 1024 memeory
    > XFX GeForce 6800gt

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-XP-detecting-sata-drive-200gb-ftopict56676.html
    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=284918

    On 6 Jun 2005 06:37:09 -0400, borisky

    http://www.48bitlba.com/

    In article <7_284918_20f66d4e9ee12f393489efd296bd736b@hardwareforumz.com>,
    borisky <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

    > I recently put together a new system with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and a
    > 200gb SATA hard drive, everything went ok untill I started windows and
    > it reported that I had only got a 127 mb drive installed, can anyone
    > help me as to what I have got to do to get windows to recognise the
    > 200gb hard drive?
    >

    > Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    > 200gb Barracuda SATA150 Hard drive
    > Athlon 64 4000+ processor
    > Corsair TWINX 1024 memeory
    > XFX GeForce 6800gt

    If this is your only hard drive, you need to install with a
    slipstreamed WinXP install disk. If you buy WinXP at the
    store today, chances are SP1 or SP2 is already on the CDROM.
    Such an install CD can be used to get the full 200GB.

    You can also take a WinXP original CDROM disk, and find tools
    like "autostreamer" and the like, to add SP1 to the original
    WinXP image. When the tool is finished, you end up with a
    ..iso file, suitable for burning a new CDROM. You then install
    the OS with the "slip-streamed" system image.

    Slipstreaming solves the problem, where the initial install
    is done with just WinXP, and the disk capacity is screwed up.
    Installing SP1 or SP2 after that, won't magically fix it, as I
    understand it. But using a slipstreamed disk will fix it, as
    you get to SP1 level or SP2 level, while the OS install is
    happening.

    Now, maybe with a third party disk management tool, installing
    WinXP and then SP1, you might be able to fix it all up. As
    the other posters have pointed out, there are other options
    to solving the problem. Having a slipstream install disk just
    makes this dead easy. (As for practical experience, I've never
    tried any of this - all my disks are 80GB or smaller :-)

    HTH,
    Paul

    You MUST have Windows SP1 or SP2 installed for Windows to recognize more
    than 137 GB of harddrive space.

    --
    DaveW

    "borisky" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    >I recently put together a new system with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and a
    > 200gb SATA hard drive, everything went ok untill I started windows and
    > it reported that I had only got a 127 mb drive installed, can anyone
    > help me as to what I have got to do to get windows to recognise the
    > 200gb hard drive?
    >

    > Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    > 200gb Barracuda SATA150 Hard drive
    > Athlon 64 4000+ processor