General network questions

My PC supports 801 b and g. How can I tell which is
being used on my wireless network?
WEP and WPA - how can I tell which one I am using?
I have heard WAP is stronger? Does it make a difference for a home
network? (tech rep says no.)
Can I use more than 10 characters in my 40 bit password? Is it case
sensitive?
Do I need a firewall on my notebook if my router has a firewall?
5 answers Last reply
More about general network questions

    I can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I do know:

    If you are connecting at 54meg you are connected on a G network (B is 11m).
    WPA is definitely better, probably no big deal if you have other security
    measures in place.
    You should run a software firewall on your notebook, even if your router has
    a firewall, reason being the router firewall filters inbound, not outbound
    traffic (usually). So if you get a Trojan and you don't run a software
    firewall you'll never know it. I use the free Zone Alarm, it is quite good,
    in my opinion.

    Joseph

    Joseph Stewart wrote:
    > I can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I do know:
    >
    > If you are connecting at 54meg you are connected on a G network (B is 11m).
    > WPA is definitely better, probably no big deal if you have other security
    > measures in place.
    > You should run a software firewall on your notebook, even if your router has
    > a firewall, reason being the router firewall filters inbound, not outbound
    > traffic (usually). So if you get a Trojan and you don't run a software
    > firewall you'll never know it. I use the free Zone Alarm, it is quite good,
    > in my opinion.
    >
    > Joseph
    >

    > "old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>My PC supports 801 b and g. How can I tell which is
    >>being used on my wireless network?
    >>WEP and WPA - how can I tell which one I am using?
    >>I have heard WAP is stronger? Does it make a difference for a home
    >>network? (tech rep says no.)
    >>Can I use more than 10 characters in my 40 bit password? Is it case
    >>sensitive?
    >>Do I need a firewall on my notebook if my router has a firewall?

    Joseph,
    Thanks. Next obvious question. How do I know if I'm running 54 or
    11M? I get the impression I don't set this on the router/PC/notebook.

    Hi

    If you would like a little general education in the matters that you asked
    about, read the content of the following Links.

    Internet - Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html

    As far as Wireless "Speed", if would like to know the real "story".

    Start by putting Wireless client (Computer) close to the source(Wireless
    Router).

    801.11b is rated 11Mb/sec in reality it would provide about 6-8Mb/sec.

    Translating 8b (bit) =1B (Byte) it means about 700KB/sec to 1000KB/sec.

    I.e. if you transfer a 10MB file from the Wireless computer to a Wired
    computer that is on the same Router, it should take about 15 - 10 sec. to
    transfer the file.

    802.11g is rated 54Mb/sec. in reality it would provide about 16-22Mb/sec.

    I.e. transfer rate of 2MB/sec. 2.7MB/sec. same file as above should take
    4 - 5 sec. to transfer.

    All numbers are approximate for demonstration purposes YMMV according to
    your system actual capacity and tuning.

    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    > Joseph Stewart wrote:
    > > I can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I do know:
    > >
    > > If you are connecting at 54meg you are connected on a G network (B is
    11m).
    > > WPA is definitely better, probably no big deal if you have other
    security
    > > measures in place.
    > > You should run a software firewall on your notebook, even if your router
    has
    > > a firewall, reason being the router firewall filters inbound, not
    outbound
    > > traffic (usually). So if you get a Trojan and you don't run a software
    > > firewall you'll never know it. I use the free Zone Alarm, it is quite
    good,
    > > in my opinion.
    > >
    > > Joseph
    > >

    > > "old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>My PC supports 801 b and g. How can I tell which is
    > >>being used on my wireless network?
    > >>WEP and WPA - how can I tell which one I am using?
    > >>I have heard WAP is stronger? Does it make a difference for a home
    > >>network? (tech rep says no.)
    > >>Can I use more than 10 characters in my 40 bit password? Is it case
    > >>sensitive?
    > >>Do I need a firewall on my notebook if my router has a firewall?
    > >

    > Joseph,
    > Thanks. Next obvious question. How do I know if I'm running 54 or
    > 11M? I get the impression I don't set this on the router/PC/notebook.

    Joseph,
    Thanks. The links are quite helpful. BTW, my speed at a distance of
    ~20 feet is 36 - guess that's G.

    Jack wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > If you would like a little general education in the matters that you asked
    > about, read the content of the following Links.
    >
    > Internet - Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
    >
    > Wireless - Basic Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >
    > As far as Wireless "Speed", if would like to know the real "story".
    >
    > Start by putting Wireless client (Computer) close to the source(Wireless
    > Router).
    >
    > 801.11b is rated 11Mb/sec in reality it would provide about 6-8Mb/sec.
    >
    > Translating 8b (bit) =1B (Byte) it means about 700KB/sec to 1000KB/sec.
    >
    > I.e. if you transfer a 10MB file from the Wireless computer to a Wired
    > computer that is on the same Router, it should take about 15 - 10 sec. to
    > transfer the file.
    >
    > 802.11g is rated 54Mb/sec. in reality it would provide about 16-22Mb/sec.
    >
    > I.e. transfer rate of 2MB/sec. 2.7MB/sec. same file as above should take
    > 4 - 5 sec. to transfer.
    >
    > All numbers are approximate for demonstration purposes YMMV according to
    > your system actual capacity and tuning.
    >
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Joseph Stewart wrote:
    >>
    >>>I can't answer all of your questions, but here's what I do know:
    >>>
    >>>If you are connecting at 54meg you are connected on a G network (B is
    >
    > 11m).
    >
    >>>WPA is definitely better, probably no big deal if you have other
    >
    > security
    >
    >>>measures in place.
    >>>You should run a software firewall on your notebook, even if your router
    >
    > has
    >
    >>>a firewall, reason being the router firewall filters inbound, not
    >
    > outbound
    >
    >>>traffic (usually). So if you get a Trojan and you don't run a software
    >>>firewall you'll never know it. I use the free Zone Alarm, it is quite
    >
    > good,
    >
    >>>in my opinion.
    >>>
    >>>Joseph
    >>>

    >>>"old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message

    >>Joseph,
    >>Thanks. Next obvious question. How do I know if I'm running 54 or
    >>11M? I get the impression I don't set this on the router/PC/notebook.

    Sure , but you can download OidScope from www.ndis.com which show different
    data for wired/wireless adapters
    Arkady

    > Joseph,
    > Thanks. The links are quite helpful. BTW, my speed at a distance of
    > ~20 feet is 36 - guess that's G.
    >
    > Jack wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > If you would like a little general education in the matters that you
    asked
    > > about, read the content of the following Links.
    > >
    > > Internet - Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
    > >
    > > Wireless - Basic Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > >
    > > As far as Wireless "Speed", if would like to know the real "story".
    > >
    > > Start by putting Wireless client (Computer) close to the
    source(Wireless
    > > Router).
    > >
    > > 801.11b is rated 11Mb/sec in reality it would provide about 6-8Mb/sec.
    > >
    > > Translating 8b (bit) =1B (Byte) it means about 700KB/sec to 1000KB/sec.
    > >
    > > I.e. if you transfer a 10MB file from the Wireless computer to a Wired
    > > computer that is on the same Router, it should take about 15 - 10 sec.
    > > transfer the file.
    > >
    > > 802.11g is rated 54Mb/sec. in reality it would provide about
    16-22Mb/sec.

    > > I.e. transfer rate of 2MB/sec. 2.7MB/sec. same file as above should take
    > > 4 - 5 sec. to transfer.
    > >
    > > All numbers are approximate for demonstration purposes YMMV according to
    > > your system actual capacity and tuning.
    > >
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
    > >

    > > "old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message

    > > 11m).

    > > security

    > > has

    > > outbound

    > > good,

    > >>Joseph,
    > >>Thanks. Next obvious question. How do I know if I'm running 54 or
    > >>11M? I get the impression I don't set this on the router/PC/notebook.

Wireless Networking