I/O Error on floppy drive

September 2, 2004 5:59:07 AM

I am trying to install a 5 1/4 360K floppy drive (Yep, I have found I need to
retrieve some very old stuff). The drive is recognised, but cannot be
accessed. I get the following error message:
"Request could not be performed because on an I/O device error".
Same message with 3 diferent drives that all work fine on a machine running
W95. I have swaped the cables, and they test fine also.

More about : error floppy drive

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 4:15:01 PM

You need to check that the 5 1/4" drive is recognized in the BIOS.... is
Drive B:\ set to Auto in there?

If it is not found in the BIOS, do not expect Windows to find it!
www.coribright.com

"DNJDad" <DNJDad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install a 5 1/4 360K floppy drive (Yep, I have found I need
> retrieve some very old stuff). The drive is recognised, but cannot be
> accessed. I get the following error message:
> "Request could not be performed because on an I/O device error".
> Same message with 3 diferent drives that all work fine on a machine
> running
> W95. I have swaped the cables, and they test fine also.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 6:01:01 AM

B drive in the Bios is set to 5.25 360K ("Auto" is not an option with floppy
drives).
It appears in the summary table during boot, in My Computer, Explorer, and
device manager. I have uninstalled the driver in device manager, and
re-booted. It re-found the drive , but will not permit me to access it.
May not be an XP problem!! Have booted to DOS prompt using W95 boot disk,
and get a "General failure reading drive B" message. The A drive (on the same
cable) works OK. The 5.25.drive works OK in another computer, using this same
connector cable.
Any ideas?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You need to check that the 5 1/4" drive is recognized in the BIOS.... is
> Drive B:\ set to Auto in there?
>
> If it is not found in the BIOS, do not expect Windows to find it!
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "DNJDad" <DNJDad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to install a 5 1/4 360K floppy drive (Yep, I have found I need
> > retrieve some very old stuff). The drive is recognised, but cannot be
> > accessed. I get the following error message:
> > "Request could not be performed because on an I/O device error".
> > Same message with 3 diferent drives that all work fine on a machine
> > running
> > W95. I have swaped the cables, and they test fine also.

September 4, 2004 12:50:30 PM

"DNJDad" <DNJDad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to install a 5 1/4 360K floppy drive (Yep, I have found I need
> retrieve some very old stuff). The drive is recognised, but cannot be
> accessed. I get the following error message:
> "Request could not be performed because on an I/O device error".
> Same message with 3 diferent drives that all work fine on a machine
running
> W95. I have swaped the cables, and they test fine also.

I have found, unfortunately the same way as you, that the "quality control"
of both floppy drives and floppy disks themselves is close to non-existant.

They fail with annoying regularity.

About all you can do is try different drives until you find one
whose head alignment is close enough to the one that wrote
the disk in the first place to read it.

Alternatively, if the data is important to you, send the disk
in to to one of the data recovery services and have them xfer it to a CD-R.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 9:27:02 PM

Unfortunately it is not a drive or disk problem. I have three drives: all
work in my daughter's old P200 running W98: none in either a P4 or old AMD300
both running XP.
I am still interested in tracking down the problem, even if I can at least
now recover the data by driving across town to use my daughter's machine
whenever I need anything off an old 5.25 disk. As I have several hundred and
only rarely may need something, I do not want to spent the time converting
the lot. It would be a lot more convenient to have the drive installed on one
of my machines. I am tempted to uninstall XP and try W95 or W98, but this may
create more problems with my home network than the drive problem.

!