I/O Error on floppy drive

I am trying to install a 5 1/4 360K floppy drive (Yep, I have found I need to
retrieve some very old stuff). The drive is recognised, but cannot be
accessed. I get the following error message:
"Request could not be performed because on an I/O device error".
Same message with 3 diferent drives that all work fine on a machine running
W95. I have swaped the cables, and they test fine also.
4 answers Last reply
More about error floppy drive

    You need to check that the 5 1/4" drive is recognized in the BIOS.... is
    Drive B:\ set to Auto in there?

    If it is not found in the BIOS, do not expect Windows to find it!
    www.coribright.com

    "DNJDad" <DNJDad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to install a 5 1/4 360K floppy drive (Yep, I have found I need
    > retrieve some very old stuff). The drive is recognised, but cannot be
    > accessed. I get the following error message:
    > "Request could not be performed because on an I/O device error".
    > Same message with 3 diferent drives that all work fine on a machine
    > running
    > W95. I have swaped the cables, and they test fine also.

    B drive in the Bios is set to 5.25 360K ("Auto" is not an option with floppy
    drives).
    It appears in the summary table during boot, in My Computer, Explorer, and
    device manager. I have uninstalled the driver in device manager, and
    re-booted. It re-found the drive , but will not permit me to access it.
    May not be an XP problem!! Have booted to DOS prompt using W95 boot disk,
    and get a "General failure reading drive B" message. The A drive (on the same
    cable) works OK. The 5.25.drive works OK in another computer, using this same
    connector cable.
    Any ideas?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > You need to check that the 5 1/4" drive is recognized in the BIOS.... is
    > Drive B:\ set to Auto in there?
    >
    > If it is not found in the BIOS, do not expect Windows to find it!
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "DNJDad" <DNJDad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am trying to install a 5 1/4 360K floppy drive (Yep, I have found I need
    > > retrieve some very old stuff). The drive is recognised, but cannot be
    > > accessed. I get the following error message:
    > > "Request could not be performed because on an I/O device error".
    > > Same message with 3 diferent drives that all work fine on a machine
    > > running
    > > W95. I have swaped the cables, and they test fine also.

    "DNJDad" <DNJDad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to install a 5 1/4 360K floppy drive (Yep, I have found I need
    > retrieve some very old stuff). The drive is recognised, but cannot be
    > accessed. I get the following error message:
    > "Request could not be performed because on an I/O device error".
    > Same message with 3 diferent drives that all work fine on a machine
    running
    > W95. I have swaped the cables, and they test fine also.

    I have found, unfortunately the same way as you, that the "quality control"
    of both floppy drives and floppy disks themselves is close to non-existant.

    They fail with annoying regularity.

    About all you can do is try different drives until you find one
    whose head alignment is close enough to the one that wrote
    the disk in the first place to read it.

    Alternatively, if the data is important to you, send the disk
    in to to one of the data recovery services and have them xfer it to a CD-R.

    Unfortunately it is not a drive or disk problem. I have three drives: all
    work in my daughter's old P200 running W98: none in either a P4 or old AMD300
    both running XP.
    I am still interested in tracking down the problem, even if I can at least
    now recover the data by driving across town to use my daughter's machine
    whenever I need anything off an old 5.25 disk. As I have several hundred and
    only rarely may need something, I do not want to spent the time converting
    the lot. It would be a lot more convenient to have the drive installed on one
    of my machines. I am tempted to uninstall XP and try W95 or W98, but this may
    create more problems with my home network than the drive problem.

    "V Green" wrote:

    > "DNJDad" <DNJDad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to install a 5 1/4 360K floppy drive (Yep, I have found I need
    > > retrieve some very old stuff). The drive is recognised, but cannot be
    > > accessed. I get the following error message:
    > > "Request could not be performed because on an I/O device error".
    > > Same message with 3 diferent drives that all work fine on a machine
    > running
    > > W95. I have swaped the cables, and they test fine also.
    >
    > I have found, unfortunately the same way as you, that the "quality control"
    > of both floppy drives and floppy disks themselves is close to non-existant.
    >
    > They fail with annoying regularity.
    >
    > About all you can do is try different drives until you find one
    > whose head alignment is close enough to the one that wrote
    > the disk in the first place to read it.
    >
    > Alternatively, if the data is important to you, send the disk
    > in to to one of the data recovery services and have them xfer it to a CD-R.

Floppy Disk Windows XP