why does usb2 card reader not show up in My Computer

I have a Verbatim 4-in-one USB2 card reader coonected to a Belkin USB2
PCI card. All installed as per instructions. I have XP Pro SP1.

The reader is not recognised in My computer unless I unplug and plugin
the reader. This I have to do every time I boot the computer.

Beemer
4 answers Last reply
More about usb2 card reader show computer

    Check in Device Manager under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers....... in
    each USB Root Hub.... check the Power Management options.... is it turning
    off power to the USB card reader to save power? If so uncheck the box.
    www.coribright.com

    In article <uuotQGSkEHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Newsgroups1
    @coribright.com says...
    > Check in Device Manager under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers....... in
    > each USB Root Hub.... check the Power Management options.... is it turning
    > off power to the USB card reader to save power? If so uncheck the box.

    Cari,

    Spot on!

    Thanks for your help.

    Beemer

    Cori,
    This MAY be the Holy Grail I've been looking for. Did
    the default power management change with SP2? I noted
    that after installing SP2, I needed to unplug, then re-
    plug my USB webcam to get it recognized, and found my USB
    printer/fax/scanner had been similarly disabled (but
    required much more than a plug/unplug cycle to make it
    work)

    --Brian

    >Check in Device Manager under the Universal Serial Bus
    Controllers....... in
    >each USB Root Hub.... check the Power Management
    options.... is it turning
    >off power to the USB card reader to save power? If so
    uncheck the box.
    >--
    >Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >www.coribright.com

    It is normally the default in XP whether the original version, SP1(a) or
    SP2.

    www.coribright.com

    > Cori,
    > This MAY be the Holy Grail I've been looking for. Did
    > the default power management change with SP2? I noted
    > that after installing SP2, I needed to unplug, then re-
    > plug my USB webcam to get it recognized, and found my USB
    > printer/fax/scanner had been similarly disabled (but
    > required much more than a plug/unplug cycle to make it
    > work)
    >
    > --Brian
    >
    >>Check in Device Manager under the Universal Serial Bus
    > Controllers....... in
    >>each USB Root Hub.... check the Power Management
    > options.... is it turning
    >>off power to the USB card reader to save power? If so
    > uncheck the box.
    >>--
    >>Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >>www.coribright.com

Computers Windows XP