why does usb2 card reader not show up in My Computer

September 2, 2004 3:01:48 PM

I have a Verbatim 4-in-one USB2 card reader coonected to a Belkin USB2
PCI card. All installed as per instructions. I have XP Pro SP1.

The reader is not recognised in My computer unless I unplug and plugin
the reader. This I have to do every time I boot the computer.

Beemer
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 4:18:19 PM

Check in Device Manager under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers....... in
each USB Root Hub.... check the Power Management options.... is it turning
off power to the USB card reader to save power? If so uncheck the box.
www.coribright.com

"Beemer" <beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have a Verbatim 4-in-one USB2 card reader coonected to a Belkin USB2
> PCI card. All installed as per instructions. I have XP Pro SP1.
>
> The reader is not recognised in My computer unless I unplug and plugin
> the reader. This I have to do every time I boot the computer.
>
> Beemer
September 3, 2004 10:40:11 AM

In article <uuotQGSkEHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Newsgroups1
@coribright.com says...
> Check in Device Manager under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers....... in
> each USB Root Hub.... check the Power Management options.... is it turning
> off power to the USB card reader to save power? If so uncheck the box.

Cari,

Spot on!

Thanks for your help.

Beemer
September 3, 2004 12:12:32 PM

Cori,
This MAY be the Holy Grail I've been looking for. Did
the default power management change with SP2? I noted
that after installing SP2, I needed to unplug, then re-
plug my USB webcam to get it recognized, and found my USB
printer/fax/scanner had been similarly disabled (but
required much more than a plug/unplug cycle to make it
work)

--Brian

>Check in Device Manager under the Universal Serial Bus
Controllers....... in
>each USB Root Hub.... check the Power Management
options.... is it turning
>off power to the USB card reader to save power? If so
uncheck the box.
>--
>Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>www.coribright.com
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 3:00:21 PM

It is normally the default in XP whether the original version, SP1(a) or
SP2.

www.coribright.com

!