SATA and data ATA

Asus A7N8X-DLX ver 1.04 mobo.

Seagate 120 GB SATA.

Cannot get WD 40 GB to run. It locks up on start up as it works through the
boot routine.
Boot floppy, boot CD, boot HD01 (maybe this is the hang up here boot HD01)

BIOS is 1007 (?)

On choice of SATA and SCSI I have it set to SATA.

I have CD-R set on #1 IDE and WD on IDE #2 as a slave drive by using 80 pin
middle cable and slave jumper. No Good!

I have tried WD as set to master with CS jumper and that is no good on #2
IDE

I just lost the WD 40 GB hard drive to corruption or something a week ago.
Files and folders disappeared!!!! Would not boot to SATA XP system unless I
removed the WD drive.

It presently runs real well with SATA only where XP Pro is on SATA.

How about if I use a converter to set the WD to SATA ???

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

VC
4 answers Last reply
More about sata data

    I got my ATA drive set as master on the 1st IDE channel
    Sata is boot drive
    DVD recorder#1 is master on 2nd channel
    DVD recorder#2 is slave on 1 st channel
    works fine........cable select was always a problem on the A7N8X
    peterk

    the problem
    "News at Charter" <ariannamarcucci@tiscali.it> wrote in message
    > Asus A7N8X-DLX ver 1.04 mobo.
    >
    > Seagate 120 GB SATA.
    >
    > Cannot get WD 40 GB to run. It locks up on start up as it works through
    > the
    > boot routine.
    > Boot floppy, boot CD, boot HD01 (maybe this is the hang up here boot HD01)
    >
    > BIOS is 1007 (?)
    >
    > On choice of SATA and SCSI I have it set to SATA.
    >
    > I have CD-R set on #1 IDE and WD on IDE #2 as a slave drive by using 80
    > pin
    > middle cable and slave jumper. No Good!
    >
    > I have tried WD as set to master with CS jumper and that is no good on #2
    > IDE
    >
    > I just lost the WD 40 GB hard drive to corruption or something a week ago.
    > Files and folders disappeared!!!! Would not boot to SATA XP system unless
    > removed the WD drive.
    >
    > It presently runs real well with SATA only where XP Pro is on SATA.
    >
    > How about if I use a converter to set the WD to SATA ???
    >
    > Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > VC

    Thanks,
    You got me on the right track! I had originally setup the computer with the
    new ASUS A7V8X-Dlx a couple years ago exactly as you described. But
    apparently I did not set the BIOS correctly two years ago. The boot up
    sequence would stop and I would press space bar and it booted to the SATA
    drive and system. The WD has always been a data HD and never had boot files
    on it. One morning about a week ago the system locked and the thing would
    not boot at all. I checked with floppy boot and the WD HD has been set to
    primary drive and 90% of folders and files were missing. It so happens that
    this WD HD drive is where I stored all email and news. Connections with an
    email virus I do not know.

    Any way back to present. Followed your advice and set WD to first IDE and as
    master using end connectors on the 80 pin cable. Put CD on #2 IDE and all is
    working. The main difference in setting of the BIOS is that I set the third
    boot device as SCSI and several lines above this in BIOS I had set to choose
    SATA over SCSI. So apparently all is working well now.

    Thanks greatly for your time and knowledge.

    JVC

    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    > I got my ATA drive set as master on the 1st IDE channel
    > Sata is boot drive
    > DVD recorder#1 is master on 2nd channel
    > DVD recorder#2 is slave on 1 st channel
    > works fine........cable select was always a problem on the A7N8X
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    about
    > the problem
    > "News at Charter" <ariannamarcucci@tiscali.it> wrote in message
    > > Asus A7N8X-DLX ver 1.04 mobo.
    > >
    > > Seagate 120 GB SATA.
    > >
    > > Cannot get WD 40 GB to run. It locks up on start up as it works through
    > > the
    > > boot routine.
    > > Boot floppy, boot CD, boot HD01 (maybe this is the hang up here boot
    HD01)

    > > BIOS is 1007 (?)
    > >
    > > On choice of SATA and SCSI I have it set to SATA.
    > >
    > > I have CD-R set on #1 IDE and WD on IDE #2 as a slave drive by using 80
    > > pin
    > > middle cable and slave jumper. No Good!
    > >
    > > I have tried WD as set to master with CS jumper and that is no good on
    > > IDE
    > >
    > > I just lost the WD 40 GB hard drive to corruption or something a week
    ago.
    > > Files and folders disappeared!!!! Would not boot to SATA XP system
    unless
    > > removed the WD drive.
    > >
    > > It presently runs real well with SATA only where XP Pro is on SATA.
    > >
    > > How about if I use a converter to set the WD to SATA ???
    > >
    > > Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > VC

    One more question for you:
    Does your ATA HD read "active" and primary? Mine does! That is, the WD HD
    reads active and primary.

    I had thought all HD's except the system HD were supposed to "not read
    active" and read as logical drive??

    Thanks

    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    > I got my ATA drive set as master on the 1st IDE channel
    > Sata is boot drive
    > DVD recorder#1 is master on 2nd channel
    > DVD recorder#2 is slave on 1 st channel
    > works fine........cable select was always a problem on the A7N8X
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    about
    > the problem
    > "News at Charter" <ariannamarcucci@tiscali.it> wrote in message
    > > Asus A7N8X-DLX ver 1.04 mobo.
    > >
    > > Seagate 120 GB SATA.
    > >
    > > Cannot get WD 40 GB to run. It locks up on start up as it works through
    > > the
    > > boot routine.
    > > Boot floppy, boot CD, boot HD01 (maybe this is the hang up here boot
    HD01)

    > > BIOS is 1007 (?)
    > >
    > > On choice of SATA and SCSI I have it set to SATA.
    > >
    > > I have CD-R set on #1 IDE and WD on IDE #2 as a slave drive by using 80
    > > pin
    > > middle cable and slave jumper. No Good!
    > >
    > > I have tried WD as set to master with CS jumper and that is no good on
    > > IDE
    > >
    > > I just lost the WD 40 GB hard drive to corruption or something a week
    ago.
    > > Files and folders disappeared!!!! Would not boot to SATA XP system
    unless
    > > removed the WD drive.
    > >
    > > It presently runs real well with SATA only where XP Pro is on SATA.
    > >
    > > How about if I use a converter to set the WD to SATA ???
    > >
    > > Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > VC

    Actually I am in a different position than you.I used to dual boot.
    My C drive is EIDE and my D drive is SATA.
    I have partitioned my C into 2...768mb C and 38.97g E drive.The E partition
    used to hold a 2nd OS but now its used strictly for backup.
    The only thing on my C partition are the boot files needed to start XP which
    resides on D........which in turn is partitioned into 4 partitions...D,G,H
    and F.
    D holds only XP and any program that will not let me change its install
    directory.
    G holds nothing but programs
    H holds nothing but games
    F holds nothing but IE files and Mail files as well as any downloads.
    On that score my C states system and D states boot and all of the partitions
    are primary.

    > One more question for you:
    > Does your ATA HD read "active" and primary? Mine does! That is, the WD HD
    > reads active and primary.
    >
    > I had thought all HD's except the system HD were supposed to "not read
    > active" and read as logical drive??
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    >> I got my ATA drive set as master on the 1st IDE channel
    >> Sata is boot drive
    >> DVD recorder#1 is master on 2nd channel
    >> DVD recorder#2 is slave on 1 st channel
    >> works fine........cable select was always a problem on the A7N8X
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    > about
    >> the problem
    >> "News at Charter" <ariannamarcucci@tiscali.it> wrote in message
    >> > Asus A7N8X-DLX ver 1.04 mobo.
    >> >
    >> > Seagate 120 GB SATA.
    >> >
    >> > Cannot get WD 40 GB to run. It locks up on start up as it works through
    >> > the
    >> > boot routine.
    >> > Boot floppy, boot CD, boot HD01 (maybe this is the hang up here boot
    > HD01)
    >> >
    >> > BIOS is 1007 (?)
    >> >
    >> > On choice of SATA and SCSI I have it set to SATA.
    >> >
    >> > I have CD-R set on #1 IDE and WD on IDE #2 as a slave drive by using 80
    >> > pin
    >> > middle cable and slave jumper. No Good!
    >> >
    >> > I have tried WD as set to master with CS jumper and that is no good on
    >> > IDE
    >> >
    >> > I just lost the WD 40 GB hard drive to corruption or something a week
    > ago.
    >> > Files and folders disappeared!!!! Would not boot to SATA XP system
    > unless
    >> > removed the WD drive.
    >> >
    >> > It presently runs real well with SATA only where XP Pro is on SATA.
    >> >
    >> > How about if I use a converter to set the WD to SATA ???
    >> >
    >> > Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > VC

Asus SATA Boot Western Digital Motherboards