Help with file and print sharing

dknystud23

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
I'm running Windows XP the whole drive is NTFS, and I'm running Windows 98 Fat 32. I set up my network place on windows XP, and windows XP can see my other computer and access the files on it. The Windows 98 computer when I goto network neighbor hood and try to access the shared files on my windows 98 comp it can't see them. I used the windows xp cd to set up the network on windows 98 comp and it worked fine. Do I need to change my hard drive to fat 32??? Why can't it see the printer. how should I partition my computer?? Bootsector fat 32 and the other folders ntfs?? Please help

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
I'm assuming your WinXP can see Win98 files but not vice versa. Try going to any open folder:
goto Tools -> FolderOptions -> View -> Scroll down to bottom and check "Use simple file sharing".

-----
<b>My Mentor: <A HREF="http://www.mchawking.com" target="_new">Stephen Hawkings</A></b>

dknystud23

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
I did that and it is set to that.My firewall is disabled on my xp comp, and my 98comp can see it when I ping. If I search for the win xp comp from win 98 I can see it but can't access it. When i ping it goes through from my win 98 comp to my win xp comp

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
lets continue here, the crossposting is a no-no.

casiowatch meant to say "uncheck" use simple file sharing. Did you do that?

Also, did you share something on the XP machine?

Also, do both machines have the same workgroup name?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
i did mean to "check" it. Having to set the user access rights is a big pain in the ass. As jlanka said, make sure you share something: Click on an object (printer or folder) and go to Sharing.

If you wanna access one computer's stuff, make sure they can ping each other, but you can access them by going into a regular folder or IE and type the ip address to access it:

\\ip_number_of_computer

-----
<b>My Mentor: <A HREF="http://www.mchawking.com" target="_new">Stephen Hawkings</A></b>

dknystud23

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
Oh btw guys I used the network troubleshooter, and it didn't help. I didn't make any silly mistakes like wrong workgroup name and stuff like that. yes it pings back and forth. I am sharing something.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dknystud23 on 02/11/03 03:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dknystud23

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
I think the problem is that when I goto view workgroups on xp comp, the packard bell comoes up as a 95 workstation instead of win 98. 95 isn't compatible with xp

dknystud23

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
I think the problem is that when I goto view workgroups on xp comp, the packard bell comes up as a 95 workstation instead of win 98. 95 isn't compatible with xp. I might need to fdisk it to get rid of the boot sector I upgrade over win 95 to win 98

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
did you try casiowatch's suggestion of \\ipaddress?

Or go to a DOS prompt and type:

net view \\ip_address

of course ip_address is the IP address of the Packard Bell box (Packard Bell - yucccchhh!)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

dknystud23

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2002
I used net view and its showing that its sharing resources, I still don't understand why my comp is coming up as a windows 95 workgroup in properites of the comp in network my network places but its upgraded to 98