XP SP2 causes standby malfunction from keyboard driver

I have a problem with my Medion 6100 laptop.
Since installing XP SP2, if I try to enter standby I get
the message that the EnE Keyboard KB-3886 driver is
preventing the system from entering standby.

The keyboard does not have a standby or hibernate button;
I enter standby by going through the Win Xp Start -
Shutdown - standby option on screen. Wake up is by
pushing the power button.

I have tried unsuccessfully to find an update for this
driver.

Would anyone know whether SP2 alters the original driver -
if so can I safely "roll back driver" and will this fix
work?

Or would it be that the original dirver is still
installed but does not work with SP2...in which case I
definitley need an updated driver....?
8 answers Last reply
More about standby malfunction keyboard driver

    The keyboard driver is probably not the culprit.
    Some software (for example old versions of Quicken) can cause this.

    -PA

    "Anne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4b3001c490e0$d35789a0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > I have a problem with my Medion 6100 laptop.
    > Since installing XP SP2, if I try to enter standby I get
    > the message that the EnE Keyboard KB-3886 driver is
    > preventing the system from entering standby.
    >
    > The keyboard does not have a standby or hibernate button;
    > I enter standby by going through the Win Xp Start -
    > Shutdown - standby option on screen. Wake up is by
    > pushing the power button.
    >
    > I have tried unsuccessfully to find an update for this
    > driver.
    >
    > Would anyone know whether SP2 alters the original driver -
    > if so can I safely "roll back driver" and will this fix
    > work?
    >
    > Or would it be that the original dirver is still
    > installed but does not work with SP2...in which case I
    > definitley need an updated driver....?

    Thanks for your input. However this did not occur
    previously with installed software and has only occurred
    since installing WinXP SP2.

    Try removing the keyboard from Device Manager (Start-Run-devmgmt.msc)
    and reboot. Then try it and see if it works ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Anne wrote:
    > Thanks for your input. However this did not occur
    > previously with installed software and has only occurred
    > since installing WinXP SP2.

    Thanks again,

    I thought of that as well but I think it's a new driver I
    need ....everything worked well before and the Device
    Manager reports the device driver is working (not that
    the DM report always gets it right!) and there are no
    conflicts. Given the plethora of problems reported by
    others with XP2 I think I've come out of it relatively
    well at this stage...

    I think I just have to sit and wait for the
    update....Microsoft has confirmed to me that SP2 does not
    alter any drivers, and that the likely problem is an
    incompatibility with SP2....and that I need an updated
    driver.

    Annoying because Standby is a function that gets used
    extensively with this computer.

    "Anne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5f9a01c4922d$6d1df540$a301280a@phx.gbl...

    >...Microsoft has confirmed to me that SP2 does not
    > alter any drivers, and that the likely problem is an
    > incompatibility with SP2....and that I need an updated
    > driver.

    This is exactly why I believe that the kbd driver itself is not the culprit.
    But here is lots of 3rd party sofware that tries to hook keyboard (including viruses and malware),
    and it could be broken by SP2.
    When some kinds of keyboard filters fail, it can appear as a keyboard driver itself fails,
    but it is not so.
    Does this EnE keyboard install it's own driver? What if you disconnect it and use instead a generic
    usb or ps/2 kbd?

    --PA

    Hello,

    First let me say that I sort of follow what you are
    saying but without actually knowing the processes that
    you are referring to...

    "lots of 3rd party sofware that tries to hook
    keyboard "....do you mean by this that certain programs
    assign their own functions to certain keys of the
    keyboard?

    "and it could be broken by SP2"....not sure what you mean
    by this.

    I also don't know what a keyboard filter is, though I
    have heard of it. Is it something which alters the
    functions of the keys on the keyoard?

    As far as the keyboard itself is concerned, this is a
    laptop so I can't actually "unhook" the keyboard.
    At best I could uninstall the drivers and try
    reinstalling. I'm a bit reluctant to do so as I'm not
    sure whether the drivers for the keyboard are
    automatically installed by Windows or whether the
    keyboard drivers were loaded separately by the vendor.

    I don't have a separate disk with keyboard drivers on it,
    I only have the Medion Windows Xp recovery disk and I'm
    guessing the keyboard driver would be included on that
    somewhere but I don't want to start trying to muck around
    with that.

    Also, just to clarify, it's not that any of the keys on
    the keyboard are not working.....I don't have standby or
    hibernate keys on my keyboard..it's not that they are not
    responding.... I don't have them.

    It's when I go to Start-Shutdown-Standby from the screen
    menu that I get the message. Is this because the system
    is trying to identify standby/hibernate keys on my
    keyboard that don't exist?

    However, this problem NEVER happened before, with all the
    software installed....just since installing SP2.

    Looks like you were right Pavel!!

    I just found a post on another forum which linked to a
    Microsoft article:

    us;814149&Product=winxp

    This was my exact problem! I had Adobe Type manager
    installed...uninstalled, rebooted and Voila! Standby back!

    Thanks for all the helpful hints.

  8. Here's what I did after hours off bullshit headache to install SP2 on my MD40954. First of all, after installing SP2 it would hang at startup and I would have to reinstall Windows back to SP1 for it to boot to my desktop. Try this:

    Start back with SP1. Then:

    - Install SP1a (Even if you already installed SP1 - Google for a standalone version of this)
    - Install SP3 standalone from Microsoft.

    Worked for me

Windows XP Keyboards