Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Two questions really (1) is it worth installing cool n quiet? and (2)
what are the drivers called? I just installed a K8VSE, and the
installation disk gives instructions for installing the drivers
without telling you what the hell they're called or in which folder on
the cd they lurk!

Oh yes - third question - when it's installed, how do you know it is?

TIA...pete

"Pete" <peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> wrote in message
> Two questions really (1) is it worth installing cool n quiet? and (2)
> what are the drivers called? I just installed a K8VSE, and the
> installation disk gives instructions for installing the drivers
> without telling you what the hell they're called or in which folder on
> the cd they lurk!
>
> Oh yes - third question - when it's installed, how do you know it is?
>
> TIA...pete

It is absolutely worth it to use Cool n Quiet. Your CPU temps will probably
drop about 8-10 C for normal workloads. IF your fan speed is very high and
noisy, you may be able to run the fan at a quieter speed.

You need to read to instruction manual for your MB, which shows you how to
install drivers and how to configure Windows power saving scheme, and how to
configure the bios.

I don't know about your CD or MB, but my Asus just has a menu to install the
Cool n Quiet drivers and the software figures out where it is on the CD. You
can also download the driver on the Asus website for your MB. There is a
Windows based monitoring program that shows you the CPU speed and voltage as
Cool n Quiet works, but this is completely optional.

Ed

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:10:01 +0100, Pete
<peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> wrote:

>Two questions really (1) is it worth installing cool n quiet? and (2)
>what are the drivers called? I just installed a K8VSE, and the
>installation disk gives instructions for installing the drivers
>without telling you what the hell they're called or in which folder on
>the cd they lurk!
>
>Oh yes - third question - when it's installed, how do you know it is?
>
>TIA...pete

If you're not running the CPU at full loads 24/7 with apps like SETI,
Folding @ Home then I would enable CnQ.

AMD 64 Cool n Quite Instructions for Windows
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Cool_N_Quiet_Installation_Guide3.pdf

AMD 64 CPU Driver AMD Athlon 64 Processor Utilities and Updates
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Ed

milleron

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:20:45 -0500, Ed <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:10:01 +0100, Pete
><peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> wrote:
>
>>Two questions really (1) is it worth installing cool n quiet? and (2)
>>what are the drivers called? I just installed a K8VSE, and the
>>installation disk gives instructions for installing the drivers
>>without telling you what the hell they're called or in which folder on
>>the cd they lurk!
>>
>>Oh yes - third question - when it's installed, how do you know it is?
>>
>>TIA...pete
>
>If you're not running the CPU at full loads 24/7 with apps like SETI,
>Folding @ Home then I would enable CnQ.
>
>AMD 64 Cool n Quite Instructions for Windows
>http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Cool_N_Quiet_Installation_Guide3.pdf
>

>AMD 64 CPU Driver AMD Athlon 64 Processor Utilities and Updates
>http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html
>

>Ed

The C 'n' Q instructions are explicit about using a "thermally
controlled fan" like the one in the AMD retail box.
Can anyone tell me if the common HSFs, like the Zalman 7000 and 7700,
for example, will work with Cool and Quiet?
Is any fan that's connected via the Asus motherboard's 3-pin CPU fan
connector a "thermally controlled fan?"
I'm also interested in using a Thermaltake XP120 when I build my
system next month, but it doesn't even come with a fan. What fan
should be installed in order for it to be compatible with C 'n' Q ?
Ron

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:20:45 -0500, Ed <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:10:01 +0100, Pete
><peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> wrote:
>
>>Two questions really (1) is it worth installing cool n quiet? and (2)
>>what are the drivers called? I just installed a K8VSE, and the
>>installation disk gives instructions for installing the drivers
>>without telling you what the hell they're called or in which folder on
>>the cd they lurk!
>>
>>Oh yes - third question - when it's installed, how do you know it is?
>>
>>TIA...pete
>
>If you're not running the CPU at full loads 24/7 with apps like SETI,
>Folding @ Home then I would enable CnQ.
>
>AMD 64 Cool n Quite Instructions for Windows
>http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Cool_N_Quiet_Installation_Guide3.pdf
>

>AMD 64 CPU Driver AMD Athlon 64 Processor Utilities and Updates
>http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html
>

>Ed
Here's an odd one. I followed advice here and installed the cool n
quiet driver, plus the Asus monitoring program. All seems fine.

But when I try to isntall the AMD version of the monitoring program
(just for interest) I get the message 'the folder My Pictures contains
an invalid character' and the installation aborts.

What's that all about?

> Here's an odd one. I followed advice here and installed the cool n
> quiet driver, plus the Asus monitoring program. All seems fine.
>
> But when I try to isntall the AMD version of the monitoring program
> (just for interest) I get the message 'the folder My Pictures contains
> an invalid character' and the installation aborts.
>
> What's that all about?

Don't know. But I installed both monitoring programs, and the Asus one is
better because it provides more precise information. After a few weeks, you
will forgot about either version and let Cool n Quiet do its job without
worry.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:50:49 -0600, "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>"Pete" <peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> wrote in message
>> Here's an odd one. I followed advice here and installed the cool n
>> quiet driver, plus the Asus monitoring program. All seems fine.
>>
>> But when I try to isntall the AMD version of the monitoring program
>> (just for interest) I get the message 'the folder My Pictures contains
>> an invalid character' and the installation aborts.
>>
>> What's that all about?
>
>Don't know. But I installed both monitoring programs, and the Asus one is
>better because it provides more precise information. After a few weeks, you
>will forgot about either version and let Cool n Quiet do its job without
>worry.

Sensible advice. One less thing to worry about...