P4T-E problem

P4 Motherboad P4T E - Socket 478 - Intel 850 Chipset

Hi all,
I do have a P4T-E for about 4 years and till last week it has worked fine.
The came the bad time !! :
After having some troubles (blue screen/long message etc ...!!) the local
service shop decides it was the power supply that was in a trouble, so I
replaced and it worked well for few days, then started some troubles again
with my VGA card (blue screen again) that I replaced too, now it seems that
the problem came finally from the RAM as it was not able to boot (post).
I got the BIOS message (Long BEEP in an endless loop) that following the
manual mean NO DRAM installed or detected !
The shop service told me "must change the MB!! so I definitelly lost
confidence !!"
Here inThailand it seems that that kind of RDRAM are not longer available
even in Bangkok and thus there is no way to have the one I have checked...

I make a search on ASUS site but no info available about the P4T-E.
I made that search because I remember years ago in the information they gave
I am not sure but look like two kinds of RAM were (available !) working with
that MB... Is that possible or I do make a mistake (misunderstanding) ?

In case I do have to change the MB because of the availability of the RDRAM
do you have any suggestion (a good chose) for a MB using the same CPU (intel
850), Sound card (Soundblaster Live 6.1) and VGA card AGP8X Geforce 4MX.

Any info welcome and thanks.
John & Su.

John & Su wrote:
> P4 Motherboad P4T E - Socket 478 - Intel 850 Chipset
>
> Hi all,
> I do have a P4T-E for about 4 years and till last week it has worked fine.
> The came the bad time !! :
> After having some troubles (blue screen/long message etc ...!!) the local
> service shop decides it was the power supply that was in a trouble, so I
> replaced and it worked well for few days, then started some troubles again
> with my VGA card (blue screen again) that I replaced too, now it seems that
> the problem came finally from the RAM as it was not able to boot (post).
> I got the BIOS message (Long BEEP in an endless loop) that following the
> manual mean NO DRAM installed or detected !
> The shop service told me "must change the MB!! so I definitelly lost
> confidence !!"
> Here inThailand it seems that that kind of RDRAM are not longer available
> even in Bangkok and thus there is no way to have the one I have checked...
>
> I make a search on ASUS site but no info available about the P4T-E.
> I made that search because I remember years ago in the information they gave
> I am not sure but look like two kinds of RAM were (available !) working with
> that MB... Is that possible or I do make a mistake (misunderstanding) ?
>
> In case I do have to change the MB because of the availability of the RDRAM
> do you have any suggestion (a good chose) for a MB using the same CPU (intel
> 850), Sound card (Soundblaster Live 6.1) and VGA card AGP8X Geforce 4MX.
>
> Any info welcome and thanks.
> John & Su.

You can get the English version of the manual from
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
The first thing I would try is to make sure that both of the RDRAM
modules and the two CRIMMs are properly installed and seated.

Crimm and RdRam were installed since 4 years and worked fine, when problem
occured I removed all, cleaned all with special product for that use then
put it at the right place but no change !
So here it seems there is no way to have those Rdram tested.
Now I would like to know if it is possible to put in that MB TWO kind of
memory (Rdram and ???) ? I find that strange but nothing is impossible
nowadays !
I do have the manual but no trace about double system.... they just write
about RDram and Crimm.

John & Su wrote:
> Crimm and RdRam were installed since 4 years and worked fine, when problem
> occured I removed all, cleaned all with special product for that use then
> put it at the right place but no change !
> So here it seems there is no way to have those Rdram tested.
> Now I would like to know if it is possible to put in that MB TWO kind of
> memory (Rdram and ???) ? I find that strange but nothing is impossible
> nowadays !
> I do have the manual but no trace about double system.... they just write
> about RDram and Crimm.

The motherboard only supports RDRAM. Have you tried swapping the places
for the RDRAM and CRIMMs to see if maybe one of the motherboard slots is
having a problem?

> "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>John & Su wrote:
>>
>>>P4 Motherboad P4T E - Socket 478 - Intel 850 Chipset
>>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>I do have a P4T-E for about 4 years and till last week it has worked
>
> fine.
>
>>>The came the bad time !! :
>>>After having some troubles (blue screen/long message etc ...!!) the
>
> local
>
>>>service shop decides it was the power supply that was in a trouble, so I
>>>replaced and it worked well for few days, then started some troubles
>
> again
>
>>>with my VGA card (blue screen again) that I replaced too, now it seems
>
> that
>
>>>the problem came finally from the RAM as it was not able to boot (post).
>>>I got the BIOS message (Long BEEP in an endless loop) that following the
>>>manual mean NO DRAM installed or detected !
>>>The shop service told me "must change the MB!! so I definitelly lost
>>>confidence !!"
>>>Here inThailand it seems that that kind of RDRAM are not longer
>
> available
>
>>>even in Bangkok and thus there is no way to have the one I have
>
> checked...
>
>>>I make a search on ASUS site but no info available about the P4T-E.
>>>I made that search because I remember years ago in the information they
>
> gave
>
>>>I am not sure but look like two kinds of RAM were (available !) working
>
> with
>
>>>that MB... Is that possible or I do make a mistake (misunderstanding) ?
>>>
>>>In case I do have to change the MB because of the availability of the
>
> RDRAM
>
>>>do you have any suggestion (a good chose) for a MB using the same CPU
>
> (intel
>
>>>850), Sound card (Soundblaster Live 6.1) and VGA card AGP8X Geforce 4MX.
>>>
>>>Any info welcome and thanks.
>>>John & Su.
>>>

>>You can get the English version of the manual from
>>http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
>>The first thing I would try is to make sure that both of the RDRAM
>>modules and the two CRIMMs are properly installed and seated.

Yes I swapped even in differents "bad" positions. (the manual recommend when
only 2 modules - in my case 2 set of 128 -) to put on the Rimm B1 Rdram, B2
C-Rimm, Rimm A1 Rdram A2 C-Rimm.
I got the same looping tone during the post.
I think I will have to change the MB. Do you think the DDR ram system P 4 S
800 or P4 P 800 S-X or P4 P 800 X are good choice ?
(I want to use only Intel with socket 478 so I can use the same CPU)
Anyway thank for the help.

John & Su wrote:
> Yes I swapped even in differents "bad" positions. (the manual recommend when
> only 2 modules - in my case 2 set of 128 -) to put on the Rimm B1 Rdram, B2
> C-Rimm, Rimm A1 Rdram A2 C-Rimm.
> I got the same looping tone during the post.
> I think I will have to change the MB. Do you think the DDR ram system P 4 S
> 800 or P4 P 800 S-X or P4 P 800 X are good choice ?
> (I want to use only Intel with socket 478 so I can use the same CPU)
> Anyway thank for the help.

I recently upgraded from the P4T-E to a P5P800 as I also wanted a faster
processor. Moving to that board with a 3.4 GHz Prescott and 1 GB of
3200 DDR memory was only about $600 american compared to the $1,200 I
spent for the P4T-E with only 512 MB memory.

> "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>John & Su wrote:
>>
>>>Crimm and RdRam were installed since 4 years and worked fine, when
>
> problem
>
>>>occured I removed all, cleaned all with special product for that use
>
> then
>
>>>put it at the right place but no change !
>>>So here it seems there is no way to have those Rdram tested.
>>>Now I would like to know if it is possible to put in that MB TWO kind of
>>>memory (Rdram and ???) ? I find that strange but nothing is impossible
>>>nowadays !
>>>I do have the manual but no trace about double system.... they just
>
> write
>
>>>about RDram and Crimm.
>>>

>>The motherboard only supports RDRAM. Have you tried swapping the places
>>for the RDRAM and CRIMMs to see if maybe one of the motherboard slots is
>>having a problem?
>>

>>>"Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>>fine.

>>>local

>>>again

>>>that

> (post).

> the

>>>available

>>>checked...

>>>gave

>>>with

>>>RDRAM

>>>(intel

> 4MX.

Look great.
Did you have to change VGA, sound, Video cards or those that were in the p4
are still working with the p5 ?
Is is Intel, and what is the socket ?
Does that price (600US$) is for the board, the CPU and the DDRAM ?

?

John & Su wrote:
> Look great.
> Did you have to change VGA, sound, Video cards or those that were in the p4
> are still working with the p5 ?
> Is is Intel, and what is the socket ?
> Does that price (600US$) is for the board, the CPU and the DDRAM ?

The reason I got the ASUS P5P800 was that I could use the new LGA775
socket processors without having to also replace everything else. I
have a Radeon 9700 Pro and didn't want to spend another $400 to replace
it with a PCI Express card of similar performance. It uses the standard
AGP video cards and includes sound, gigabit LAN, and SATA.
I paid around $600 for the entire group from Newegg. A simple upgrade
install of XP had everything running very quickly. The only other
change I ended up doing was replacing the case as the placement of the
CPU on the P5P800 is at the top of the motherboard and it was too close
to my power supply in the old case.