  • DDR
  • Memory
  • Windows XP
September 2, 2004 4:51:24 PM

There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered, and I have
been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly better overall
performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors being equal.

Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed, with
384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a 60 MB hard
drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of the games my
grandkids play.

Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon 1800 MHZ
CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.

My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this system
to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should I go with the
faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.

More about : ddr memory chips

Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 2, 2004 4:51:25 PM

Hello

Pc3200 and 2700 will work just fine howeevr the pc2100
which runs a little slower so the higher memory or faster
would be your best option

Alvin

Papa wrote:

> There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered, and I have
> been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly better overall
> performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors being equal.
>
> Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed, with
> 384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a 60 MB hard
> drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of the games my
> grandkids play.
>
> Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon 1800 MHZ
> CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.
>
> My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this system
> to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should I go with the
> faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 2, 2004 4:51:25 PM

Hey Papa, I am going to make a few suggestions for you on this new
computer. First, change the CPU to a 2400+ or 2500+ with a Barton Core.
This will be a little more expensive, but much much better than the
1800+ you are looking at. I am almost positive you are going to end up
with a Palamino core on that one which runs hot and is very weak.

Second, the Palamino cores only support 266 on the Front Side Bus. This
means with PC3200 memory running at 200 MHz x 2, you will be running a
FSB of 266 MHz with memory running at 400 MHz. You may run into
bottlenecks. If you are going for a budget PC here, then stick with the
PC2100 which you can pick up for really cheap. Not sure where the
prices were that others posted, but check this out:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=1...

If you haven't built this computer yet, I bet you can't beat the price
on this:
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/358047/

----
Nathan McNulty

Papa wrote:
> There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered, and I have
> been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly better overall
> performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors being equal.
>
> Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed, with
> 384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a 60 MB hard
> drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of the games my
> grandkids play.
>
> Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon 1800 MHZ
> CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.
>
> My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this system
> to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should I go with the
> faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.

a b } Memory
September 2, 2004 4:51:26 PM

A Dell server with no OS? What's an inexperienced user gonna do with that?
Dell probably won't support it after he puts an OEM or Retail copy of XP on
it. . .

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o s8ULZRkEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hey Papa, I am going to make a few suggestions for you on this new
> computer. First, change the CPU to a 2400+ or 2500+ with a Barton Core.
> This will be a little more expensive, but much much better than the
> 1800+ you are looking at. I am almost positive you are going to end up
> with a Palamino core on that one which runs hot and is very weak.
>
> Second, the Palamino cores only support 266 on the Front Side Bus. This
> means with PC3200 memory running at 200 MHz x 2, you will be running a
> FSB of 266 MHz with memory running at 400 MHz. You may run into
> bottlenecks. If you are going for a budget PC here, then stick with the
> PC2100 which you can pick up for really cheap. Not sure where the
> prices were that others posted, but check this out:
> http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=1...
>
> If you haven't built this computer yet, I bet you can't beat the price
> on this:
> http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/358047/
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Papa wrote:
> > There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered, and I
have
> > been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly better overall
> > performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors being equal.
> >
> > Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed,
with
> > 384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a 60 MB hard
> > drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of the games my
> > grandkids play.
> >
> > Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon 1800
MHZ
> > CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.
> >
> > My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this
system
> > to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should I go with
the
> > faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.

September 2, 2004 8:46:06 PM

Hi Nathan:

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I am building this computer up, as
much as possible, with parts on hand - and that includes an AMD Athlon 1800
MHZ CPU that I already have. It is slow when compared to the one you
suggested, but will perform a lot better than anything I now have (an AMD
Duron 1300 MHZ CPU).

I'll check out those URLs you mentioned.

Thanks again,

Papa

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o s8ULZRkEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hey Papa, I am going to make a few suggestions for you on this new
> computer. First, change the CPU to a 2400+ or 2500+ with a Barton Core.
> This will be a little more expensive, but much much better than the 1800+
> you are looking at. I am almost positive you are going to end up with a
> Palamino core on that one which runs hot and is very weak.
>
> Second, the Palamino cores only support 266 on the Front Side Bus. This
> means with PC3200 memory running at 200 MHz x 2, you will be running a FSB
> of 266 MHz with memory running at 400 MHz. You may run into bottlenecks.
> If you are going for a budget PC here, then stick with the PC2100 which
> you can pick up for really cheap. Not sure where the prices were that
> others posted, but check this out:
> http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=1...
>
> If you haven't built this computer yet, I bet you can't beat the price on
> this:
> http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/358047/
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Papa wrote:
>> There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered, and I
>> have been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly better
>> overall performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors being equal.
>>
>> Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed, with
>> 384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a 60 MB hard
>> drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of the games my
>> grandkids play.
>>
>> Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon 1800
>> MHZ CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.
>>
>> My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this
>> system to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should I go
>> with the faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.
September 2, 2004 8:58:16 PM

Thanks, Alvin.

"Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Pc3200 and 2700 will work just fine howeevr the pc2100
> which runs a little slower so the higher memory or faster
> would be your best option
>
> Alvin
>

> Papa wrote:
>
>> There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered, and I
>> have
>> been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly better overall
>> performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors being equal.
>>
>> Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed, with
>> 384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a 60 MB hard
>> drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of the games my
>> grandkids play.
>>
>> Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon 1800
>> MHZ
>> CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.
>>
>> My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this
>> system
>> to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should I go with
>> the
>> faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 2, 2004 9:19:45 PM

Papa wrote:
> There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered, and
> I have been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly better
> overall performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors being
> equal.
> Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed,
> with 384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a 60
> MB hard drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of the
> games my grandkids play.
>
> Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon
> 1800 MHZ CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.
>
> My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this
> system to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should I
> go with the faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.

PC3200 runs at 200MHz, PC2100 at 133MHz. On a 512MB module the price
difference is $7US. To me, it's a "no brainer".
http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT64...

Other brands may be slightly less expensive, though $93US is pretty darn
cheap.
September 2, 2004 9:19:46 PM

"S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote in message
> Papa wrote:
>> There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered, and
>> I have been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly better
>> overall performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors being
>> equal.
>> Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed,
>> with 384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a 60
>> MB hard drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of the
>> games my grandkids play.
>>
>> Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon
>> 1800 MHZ CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.
>>
>> My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this
>> system to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should I
>> go with the faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.
>

> PC3200 runs at 200MHz, PC2100 at 133MHz. On a 512MB module the price
> difference is $7US. To me, it's a "no brainer".
> http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT64...
>
> Other brands may be slightly less expensive, though $93US is pretty darn
> cheap.

Thanks very much. I'll check it out.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 2, 2004 11:36:37 PM

Nathan McNulty wrote:
> Hey Papa, I am going to make a few suggestions for you on this new
> computer. First, change the CPU to a 2400+ or 2500+ with a Barton
> Core. This will be a little more expensive, but much much better
> than the 1800+ you are looking at. I am almost positive you are
> going to end up with a Palamino core on that one which runs hot and
> is very weak.

Good advice regarding the Bartons.
It's near impossible to find a new retail or OEM Palamino core. The T-Bred B
will soon be hard to find with the release of the Semperons.

> Second, the Palamino cores only support 266 on the Front Side Bus. This
> means with PC3200 memory running at 200 MHz x 2, you will be
> running a FSB of 266 MHz with memory running at 400 MHz. You may run
> into bottlenecks.

133MHz FSB PC3200 runs at 200MHz, DDR400 if you insist.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 3, 2004 1:12:43 AM

Papa wrote:

> Thanks very much. I'll check it out.

Anytime.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 3, 2004 5:50:01 AM

Since you already have the CPU, I would just check out the first link
for the memory. The Dell deal is good if you don't already have stuff.
If you need any help putting it together, come on back and ask ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Papa wrote:
> Hi Nathan:
>
> Thanks very much for your suggestions. I am building this computer up, as
> much as possible, with parts on hand - and that includes an AMD Athlon 1800
> MHZ CPU that I already have. It is slow when compared to the one you
> suggested, but will perform a lot better than anything I now have (an AMD
> Duron 1300 MHZ CPU).
>
> I'll check out those URLs you mentioned.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Papa
>
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o s8ULZRkEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
>>Hey Papa, I am going to make a few suggestions for you on this new
>>computer. First, change the CPU to a 2400+ or 2500+ with a Barton Core.
>>This will be a little more expensive, but much much better than the 1800+
>>you are looking at. I am almost positive you are going to end up with a
>>Palamino core on that one which runs hot and is very weak.
>>
>>Second, the Palamino cores only support 266 on the Front Side Bus. This
>>means with PC3200 memory running at 200 MHz x 2, you will be running a FSB
>>of 266 MHz with memory running at 400 MHz. You may run into bottlenecks.
>>If you are going for a budget PC here, then stick with the PC2100 which
>>you can pick up for really cheap. Not sure where the prices were that
>>others posted, but check this out:
>>http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=1...
>>
>>If you haven't built this computer yet, I bet you can't beat the price on
>>this:
>>http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/358047/
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>Papa wrote:
>>
>>>There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered, and I
>>>have been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly better
>>>overall performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors being equal.
>>>
>>>Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed, with
>>>384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a 60 MB hard
>>>drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of the games my
>>>grandkids play.
>>>
>>>Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon 1800
>>>MHZ CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.
>>>
>>>My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this
>>>system to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should I go
>>>with the faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 3, 2004 5:51:57 AM

I got jipped with a Palamino core, so I warn everyone I can :)

As for the FSB, it is 133 MHz, but 266 MHz effective. PC3200 is 200
MHz, but 400 MHz effective. The T-Bred B's are excellent, but the
Barton's are just insane. AMD is definetly the way to go right now as
they provide the best bang for the buck ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

S.Heenan wrote:
> Nathan McNulty wrote:
>
>>Hey Papa, I am going to make a few suggestions for you on this new
>>computer. First, change the CPU to a 2400+ or 2500+ with a Barton
>> Core. This will be a little more expensive, but much much better
>>than the 1800+ you are looking at. I am almost positive you are
>>going to end up with a Palamino core on that one which runs hot and
>>is very weak.
>

> Good advice regarding the Bartons.
> It's near impossible to find a new retail or OEM Palamino core. The T-Bred B
> will soon be hard to find with the release of the Semperons.
>

>>Second, the Palamino cores only support 266 on the Front Side Bus. This
>>means with PC3200 memory running at 200 MHz x 2, you will be
>>running a FSB of 266 MHz with memory running at 400 MHz. You may run
>>into bottlenecks.
>

> 133MHz FSB PC3200 runs at 200MHz, DDR400 if you insist.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 3, 2004 5:55:37 AM

My grandparents just got a computer and I bought them an OEM copy of XP.
They figured out how to install it and they've only had a computer for
a week. It is pretty straight forward and instructions on how to
install usually come with it.

The computer is not much of a server though. It is built off the i875
chipset and has SATA and AGP. It is a very nice desktop which supports
ECC memory. Here is a great source of info on this computer:
http://www.aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8

----
Nathan McNulty

Rube wrote:
> A Dell server with no OS? What's an inexperienced user gonna do with that?
> Dell probably won't support it after he puts an OEM or Retail copy of XP on
> it. . .
>
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o s8ULZRkEHA.704@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
>>Hey Papa, I am going to make a few suggestions for you on this new
>>computer. First, change the CPU to a 2400+ or 2500+ with a Barton Core.
>> This will be a little more expensive, but much much better than the
>>1800+ you are looking at. I am almost positive you are going to end up
>>with a Palamino core on that one which runs hot and is very weak.
>>
>>Second, the Palamino cores only support 266 on the Front Side Bus. This
>>means with PC3200 memory running at 200 MHz x 2, you will be running a
>>FSB of 266 MHz with memory running at 400 MHz. You may run into
>>bottlenecks. If you are going for a budget PC here, then stick with the
>>PC2100 which you can pick up for really cheap. Not sure where the
>>prices were that others posted, but check this out:
>>http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=1...
>>
>>If you haven't built this computer yet, I bet you can't beat the price
>>on this:
>>http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/358047/
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>Papa wrote:
>>
>>>There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered, and I
>
> have
>
>>>been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly better overall
>>>performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors being equal.
>>>
>>>Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed,
>
> with
>
>>>384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a 60 MB hard
>>>drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of the games my
>>>grandkids play.
>>>
>>>Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon 1800
>
> MHZ
>
>>>CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.
>>>
>>>My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this
>
> system
>
>>>to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should I go with
>
> the
>
>>>faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.

September 3, 2004 5:09:22 PM

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
news:o QWGU0QkEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> There are several different speed DDR memory chips being offered,
> and I have been told that a PC3200 chip will provide significantly
> better overall performance than, say, a PC2100, all other factors
> being equal.
>
> Right now I am running a computer that has Windows XP Pro installed,
> with 384 MB of PC133 DIMM memory, an AMD Duron 1300 MHZ CPU, and a
> 60 MB hard drive. Performance is quite adequate, even for most of
> the games my grandkids play.
>
> Now I am building up a new system that will include an AMD Athlon
> 1800 MHZ CPU, an 80 GB hard drive, and 512 MB of RAM.
>
> My question is: Will the lower priced PC2100 memory chips allow this
> system to perform at least as well as my existing system, or should
> I go with the faster PC3200 chips? Thanks.

This choice would depend entirely on the FSB capabilities
of your mainboard along with the integration of your
components. For pertinent memory information try
www.crucial.com
!