BIOS Savior for A8N-SLI

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 8, 2005 4:25:24 AM

Asus' Crash-Free BIOS notwithstanding, the most elegant protection
against BIOS-flashing disasters is the BIOS Savior by IOSS in Taiwan.
Unfortunately, they don't seem to have updated their Web site and
compatibility list for about four years. Nevertheless, the BIOS
Savior is still for sale. Mwave has a 4MB version,
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA098...
but there's no compatibility table there, either.
Is it possible that this version would work with the 4MB BIOS on the
A8N-SLI?

Ron

More about : bios savior a8n sli

June 8, 2005 4:25:25 AM

In article <sfbca11g42pstvpjklkorjdc69au7ip1cl@4ax.com>,
miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

> Asus' Crash-Free BIOS notwithstanding, the most elegant protection
> against BIOS-flashing disasters is the BIOS Savior by IOSS in Taiwan.
> Unfortunately, they don't seem to have updated their Web site and
> compatibility list for about four years. Nevertheless, the BIOS
> Savior is still for sale. Mwave has a 4MB version,
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA098...
> but there's no compatibility table there, either.
> Is it possible that this version would work with the 4MB BIOS on the
> A8N-SLI?
>

> Ron

Updates stopped here with the A7N8X.

http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/Compat...

This chart is based on the user identifying the part number on
the BIOS chip itself:

http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/Select...

See if your chip part number matches something in the chart.

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2005 9:38:46 AM

Indeed, I have the same question. This kit sounds like good insurance for
about $25. Please post if you find out more.

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message

> Asus' Crash-Free BIOS notwithstanding, the most elegant protection
> against BIOS-flashing disasters is the BIOS Savior by IOSS in Taiwan.
> Unfortunately, they don't seem to have updated their Web site and
> compatibility list for about four years. Nevertheless, the BIOS
> Savior is still for sale. Mwave has a 4MB version,
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA098...
> but there's no compatibility table there, either.
> Is it possible that this version would work with the 4MB BIOS on the
> A8N-SLI?
>

> Ron
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2005 9:43:54 AM

There are complete kits here:
http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Electronics/se=IOSS%20...
for about $25 but again, it's difficult to know which, if any, is compatible
with the A8N-SLI or A8N-SLI Deluxe.

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message

> Asus' Crash-Free BIOS notwithstanding, the most elegant protection
> against BIOS-flashing disasters is the BIOS Savior by IOSS in Taiwan.
> Unfortunately, they don't seem to have updated their Web site and
> compatibility list for about four years. Nevertheless, the BIOS
> Savior is still for sale. Mwave has a 4MB version,
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA098...
> but there's no compatibility table there, either.
> Is it possible that this version would work with the 4MB BIOS on the
> A8N-SLI?
>

> Ron
June 10, 2005 4:11:38 AM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:34:50 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <sfbca11g42pstvpjklkorjdc69au7ip1cl@4ax.com>,
>miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
>
>> Asus' Crash-Free BIOS notwithstanding, the most elegant protection
>> against BIOS-flashing disasters is the BIOS Savior by IOSS in Taiwan.
>> Unfortunately, they don't seem to have updated their Web site and
>> compatibility list for about four years. Nevertheless, the BIOS
>> Savior is still for sale. Mwave has a 4MB version,
>> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA098...
>> but there's no compatibility table there, either.
>> Is it possible that this version would work with the 4MB BIOS on the
>> A8N-SLI?
>>

>> Ron
>
>Updates stopped here with the A7N8X.
>
>http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/Compat...
>
>This chart is based on the user identifying the part number on
>the BIOS chip itself:
>
>http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/Select...
>
>See if your chip part number matches something in the chart.

Hey, thanks. The second table is one I had not yet seen at IOSS.
Unfortunately, I can't tell anything about the BIOS because I haven't
purchased the board yet. I'd like to install a BIOS Savior as I'm
building, so I wanted to purchase it at the same time I bought the
motherboard. Perhaps someone who already has an A8N-SLI could tell us
if the Award BIOS matches any part number on the list.
I'm hoping.

BTW, I can't remember ever reading a post about a bad flash where the
CrashFree BIOS did anyone any good. Why doesn't it seem to work as
advertised?

Ron
June 10, 2005 4:33:13 AM

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 05:38:46 -0400, "J&SB" <jandsb@cox.net> wrote:

>Indeed, I have the same question. This kit sounds like good insurance for
>about $25. Please post if you find out more.

Do you already have an Asus NForce 4 board? If so, can you report on
the part number?
Like you say, for $25, it's a good solution, so good that if I can't
ascertain compatibility for certain, I'm probably going to buy a
RD1-PCM4 and try it. I don't think it could damage the original BIOS
because I believe that there's no electrical connection between the
two. it appears that the most one would have to lose is $25.

>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> Asus' Crash-Free BIOS notwithstanding, the most elegant protection
>> against BIOS-flashing disasters is the BIOS Savior by IOSS in Taiwan.
>> Unfortunately, they don't seem to have updated their Web site and
>> compatibility list for about four years. Nevertheless, the BIOS
>> Savior is still for sale. Mwave has a 4MB version,
>> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA098...
>> but there's no compatibility table there, either.
>> Is it possible that this version would work with the 4MB BIOS on the
>> A8N-SLI?
>>

>> Ron

Ron
June 10, 2005 8:05:20 AM

In article <a9mha19kf5p2jauakuug2ol8u127f3e37p@4ax.com>,
miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:34:50 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> >In article <sfbca11g42pstvpjklkorjdc69au7ip1cl@4ax.com>,
> >miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
> >
> >> Asus' Crash-Free BIOS notwithstanding, the most elegant protection
> >> against BIOS-flashing disasters is the BIOS Savior by IOSS in Taiwan.
> >> Unfortunately, they don't seem to have updated their Web site and
> >> compatibility list for about four years. Nevertheless, the BIOS
> >> Savior is still for sale. Mwave has a 4MB version,
> >> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA098...
> >> but there's no compatibility table there, either.
> >> Is it possible that this version would work with the 4MB BIOS on the
> >> A8N-SLI?
> >>

> >> Ron
> >
> >Updates stopped here with the A7N8X.
> >
> >http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/Compat...
> >
> >This chart is based on the user identifying the part number on
> >the BIOS chip itself:
> >
> >http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/Select...
> >
> >See if your chip part number matches something in the chart.
>
> Hey, thanks. The second table is one I had not yet seen at IOSS.
> Unfortunately, I can't tell anything about the BIOS because I haven't
> purchased the board yet. I'd like to install a BIOS Savior as I'm
> building, so I wanted to purchase it at the same time I bought the
> motherboard. Perhaps someone who already has an A8N-SLI could tell us
> if the Award BIOS matches any part number on the list.
> I'm hoping.
>
> BTW, I can't remember ever reading a post about a bad flash where the
> CrashFree BIOS did anyone any good. Why doesn't it seem to work as
> advertised?
>
> Ron

The Crashfree concept is to take a single physical flash chip and
partition it into two separate virtual flash chips. For this to
work properly, the "boot block" should never be erased. I suspect
the people who report here, that their upgrade failed, and
Crashfree didn't help them, probably are using the flash tool
to erase the boot block as well as the main code block. That could
account for the failure rate. The tools and instructions don't
make it clear what options to use, to make Crashfree a useful
feature.

If Asus wants to use Crashfree as a beneficial concept, they
should ship the first BIOS with a well tested boot block.
Then, erasing and reprogramming the boot block would not be
necessary. And Crashfree would stand a better chance of working,
as it lives inside the boot block.

Paul

Paul
June 11, 2005 9:43:45 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:05:20 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <a9mha19kf5p2jauakuug2ol8u127f3e37p@4ax.com>,
>miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 23:34:50 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>> >Updates stopped here with the A7N8X.
>> >
>> >http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/Compat...
>> >
>> >This chart is based on the user identifying the part number on
>> >the BIOS chip itself:
>> >
>> >http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior/Select...
>> >
>> >See if your chip part number matches something in the chart.
>>
>> Hey, thanks. The second table is one I had not yet seen at IOSS.
>> Unfortunately, I can't tell anything about the BIOS because I haven't
>> purchased the board yet. I'd like to install a BIOS Savior as I'm
>> building, so I wanted to purchase it at the same time I bought the
>> motherboard. Perhaps someone who already has an A8N-SLI could tell us
>> if the Award BIOS matches any part number on the list.
>> I'm hoping.
>>
>> BTW, I can't remember ever reading a post about a bad flash where the
>> CrashFree BIOS did anyone any good. Why doesn't it seem to work as
>> advertised?
>>
>> Ron
>
>The Crashfree concept is to take a single physical flash chip and
>partition it into two separate virtual flash chips. For this to
>work properly, the "boot block" should never be erased. I suspect
>the people who report here, that their upgrade failed, and
>Crashfree didn't help them, probably are using the flash tool
>to erase the boot block as well as the main code block. That could
>account for the failure rate. The tools and instructions don't
>make it clear what options to use, to make Crashfree a useful
>feature.
>
>If Asus wants to use Crashfree as a beneficial concept, they
>should ship the first BIOS with a well tested boot block.
>Then, erasing and reprogramming the boot block would not be
>necessary. And Crashfree would stand a better chance of working,
>as it lives inside the boot block.
>
> Paul

The DOS flashing utilities don't give the option of leaving the boot
block intact. How does one flash a BIOS without including the boot
block?

Ron
June 13, 2005 4:49:01 AM

In article <9k8ma117ls6hhitpu7d4mupf8o8btheb2u@4ax.com>,
miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:05:20 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>
> >If Asus wants to use Crashfree as a beneficial concept, they
> >should ship the first BIOS with a well tested boot block.
> >Then, erasing and reprogramming the boot block would not be
> >necessary. And Crashfree would stand a better chance of working,
> >as it lives inside the boot block.
> >
> > Paul
>
> The DOS flashing utilities don't give the option of leaving the boot
> block intact. How does one flash a BIOS without including the boot
> block?
>

> Ron

Hmmm.

There used to be command line switches for that stuff. /sb used to
stand for "skip bootblock".

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.ma...

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/fr.comp.os.os2/msg/...

Now, when I test the program, the command line options are not offered.
There is still evidence of them inside the program, but I guess they've
been turned off somehow. It looks to me, like awdflash got rewritten
at some point, and judging by the English used, by people for whom
English was a second language. To quote a text string inside the program:
"Please to confirm input correct file"

I guess this is progress. This is an older version of the flash program.
I don't think there is any reason for you to want to download or look at
this, because it will undoubtedly reject any new BIOS file you feed it.
This is a sample of what the program used to look like. It is about
4KB smaller than the new version, so perhaps the new version has
just tacked a shell onto the front of the program.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-d...

In any case, it looks like the user has no control any more with this
program. Either this means Asus is not updating the boot block, or
they are paying lip service to the concept of CrashFree (i.e. it is
updated every time).

Paul
June 13, 2005 10:59:55 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:49:01 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <9k8ma117ls6hhitpu7d4mupf8o8btheb2u@4ax.com>,
>miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:05:20 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>>
>> >If Asus wants to use Crashfree as a beneficial concept, they
>> >should ship the first BIOS with a well tested boot block.
>> >Then, erasing and reprogramming the boot block would not be
>> >necessary. And Crashfree would stand a better chance of working,
>> >as it lives inside the boot block.
>> >
>> > Paul
>>
>> The DOS flashing utilities don't give the option of leaving the boot
>> block intact. How does one flash a BIOS without including the boot
>> block?
>>

>> Ron
>
>Hmmm.
>
>There used to be command line switches for that stuff. /sb used to
>stand for "skip bootblock".
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.ma...
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/fr.comp.os.os2/msg/...
>
>Now, when I test the program, the command line options are not offered.
>There is still evidence of them inside the program, but I guess they've
>been turned off somehow. It looks to me, like awdflash got rewritten
>at some point, and judging by the English used, by people for whom
>English was a second language. To quote a text string inside the program:
>"Please to confirm input correct file"
>
>I guess this is progress. This is an older version of the flash program.
>I don't think there is any reason for you to want to download or look at
>this, because it will undoubtedly reject any new BIOS file you feed it.
>This is a sample of what the program used to look like. It is about
>4KB smaller than the new version, so perhaps the new version has
>just tacked a shell onto the front of the program.
>
>ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-d...
>
>In any case, it looks like the user has no control any more with this
>program. Either this means Asus is not updating the boot block, or
>they are paying lip service to the concept of CrashFree (i.e. it is
>updated every time).
>
> Paul

Do you think they're actually overwriting the boot block with every
flash? If so, I presume that this means that the boot block has the
potential to become corrupted with each flash, and, as soon as it
does, then bye-bye CrashFree.

I'm still going to buy the only BIOS Savior that IOSS makes and see if
it works. If it doesn't, then it should be a fairly simple matter to
remove it and plug the original BIOS back into its original slot.
I've never done this before, though, so I'm wondering how great a
likelihood there is of damaging the mobo or BIOS chip using the
chip-extracting device supplied with the BIOS Savior. Anybody know?

Ron
June 13, 2005 10:59:56 PM

In article <iglra1d5a6k36hcf7fpubsddpr3ddmehk7@4ax.com>,
miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

> Do you think they're actually overwriting the boot block with every
> flash? If so, I presume that this means that the boot block has the
> potential to become corrupted with each flash, and, as soon as it
> does, then bye-bye CrashFree.
>
> I'm still going to buy the only BIOS Savior that IOSS makes and see if
> it works. If it doesn't, then it should be a fairly simple matter to
> remove it and plug the original BIOS back into its original slot.
> I've never done this before, though, so I'm wondering how great a
> likelihood there is of damaging the mobo or BIOS chip using the
> chip-extracting device supplied with the BIOS Savior. Anybody know?
>

> Ron

I have extracted a couple hundred chips from PLCC sockets. Basically,
on a given socket, it gets easier the more chips have been in and out
of the same socket. So, the first one will be a little tougher to
remove. (Take note of the pin 1 marker or any other orientation info,
so you put the device back the way you found it. It is easy to rotate
some of these PLCC packages, and the "magic smoke" will escape if
that happens. I remember a poster remarking about a glow that was
coming from a couple of pins on his BIOS flash chip, and that was
the power supply pins on the chip frying. In that case, the BIOS
chip was inserted by his supplier, and apparently the board was
never tested afterwards.)

I've used a pointed object, working diagonally on the chip corners,
easing it out a bit on each side, until it popped free. Occasionally
I've get a slightly bent socket pin by doing that, so there is some
risk. There are various extractor tools, and the objective is to
pull the chip equally on all side, so there is no side force on
the pins. The extractor tool is certainly a better way to do it,
if you have one. (A lip on the end of each extractor leg, is used
to pull up on the bottom of the chip.)

As for experimentally determining what is flashed, when you flash
a BIOS, you can use the backup function to take snapshots of the
chip contents at any time. The first time that the BIOS runs,
it will likely update certain segments of the BIOS chip, like
DMI/ESCD with hardware inventory, and a section referred to as
NVRAM by some of the BIOS messages. On Intel motherboards, you
may find microcode cache segments in the BIOS chip. So, you cannot
expect a BIOS image to stay the same for very long. The boot block
could be nearer to the end of the file, than near the beginning.
But I cannot say with any certainty, as to what delimits the boot
block area. There should be some kind of JUMP instruction in there
somewhere, that jumps to the boot block, as the boot block should
be the first piece of code to run.

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2005 6:58:26 AM

My advice : contact them by e-mail, stating the type and number of
your BIOS. They usually answer rapidly. My guess is that as long
as the BIOS is the same size it will work.

As long as you disconnect your computer and proceed with care,
your board will not be damaged.

> I'm still going to buy the only BIOS Savior that IOSS makes and see if
> it works. If it doesn't, then it should be a fairly simple matter to
> remove it and plug the original BIOS back into its original slot.
> I've never done this before, though, so I'm wondering how great a
> likelihood there is of damaging the mobo or BIOS chip using the
> chip-extracting device supplied with the BIOS Savior. Anybody know?
>

> Ron
June 19, 2005 7:45:45 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:49:01 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <9k8ma117ls6hhitpu7d4mupf8o8btheb2u@4ax.com>,
>miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:05:20 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>>
>> >If Asus wants to use Crashfree as a beneficial concept, they
>> >should ship the first BIOS with a well tested boot block.
>> >Then, erasing and reprogramming the boot block would not be
>> >necessary. And Crashfree would stand a better chance of working,
>> >as it lives inside the boot block.
>> >
>> > Paul
>>
>> The DOS flashing utilities don't give the option of leaving the boot
>> block intact. How does one flash a BIOS without including the boot
>> block?
>>

>> Ron
>
>Hmmm.
>
>There used to be command line switches for that stuff. /sb used to
>stand for "skip bootblock".
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.ma...
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/fr.comp.os.os2/msg/...
>
>Now, when I test the program, the command line options are not offered.
>There is still evidence of them inside the program, but I guess they've
>been turned off somehow. It looks to me, like awdflash got rewritten
>at some point, and judging by the English used, by people for whom
>English was a second language. To quote a text string inside the program:
>"Please to confirm input correct file"
>
>I guess this is progress. This is an older version of the flash program.
>I don't think there is any reason for you to want to download or look at
>this, because it will undoubtedly reject any new BIOS file you feed it.
>This is a sample of what the program used to look like. It is about
>4KB smaller than the new version, so perhaps the new version has
>just tacked a shell onto the front of the program.
>
>ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-d...
>
>In any case, it looks like the user has no control any more with this
>program. Either this means Asus is not updating the boot block, or
>they are paying lip service to the concept of CrashFree (i.e. it is
>updated every time).
>
> Paul

I've just downloaded the latest AWDFLASH, 8.24B, and it DOES still
show the /sb switch under it's own help menu, so I presume that it IS
still enabled.
Do you know more about using it? If using it would increase the
chances of recovering from a bad flash by using CrashFree, then I'd
like to do so. If there's the slightest chance that it could
interfere with the current flash, I wouldn't. Any more help or
information?
This site,
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.ph... points
out that the /sb switch may not be enabled for all boards, but the
fact that this version of awdflash.exe includes switches specific for
nVidia makes me suspect that it is applicable for the nForce
motherboards. The tutorial contains the proviso "use with caution."

Ron
June 23, 2005 6:05:34 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:58:26 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
wrote:

>My advice : contact them by e-mail, stating the type and number of
>your BIOS. They usually answer rapidly. My guess is that as long
>as the BIOS is the same size it will work.
>
>As long as you disconnect your computer and proceed with care,
>your board will not be damaged.
>

>> I'm still going to buy the only BIOS Savior that IOSS makes and see if
>> it works. If it doesn't, then it should be a fairly simple matter to
>> remove it and plug the original BIOS back into its original slot.
>> I've never done this before, though, so I'm wondering how great a
>> likelihood there is of damaging the mobo or BIOS chip using the
>> chip-extracting device supplied with the BIOS Savior. Anybody know?
>>

>> Ron

FG,
You were correct. The size of the RD1-PMC4 is the same size as the
A8N-SLI BIOS, I did not damage anything, and it DOES WORK!

The use of the included BIOS-chip extractor was not well documented,
but once I figured it out, it popped the original BIOS out almost
effortlessly. Installation was a breeze -- thirty seconds flat.

I am thrilled to finally have a computer with a working BIOS Savior
installed. I can flash new BIOS versions at will without having to
fear that I'll screw anything up.

VERY, very importantly, I could not program the BIOS Savior with
AWDFLASH.EXE, the newest version available for download at Asus, ver.
8.24, I believe. It gave a checksum error and refused to proceed.
HOWEVER, I then tried the built-in Asus EZFlash (ALT-F2 during POST),
and it copied the original BIOS file, 1004, to the BIOS Savior just
as though it was writing to the regular BIOS chip. I could then leave
the BIOS Savior set to RD1 and reboot. It's perfectly transparent. I
cannot recommend the BIOS Savior highly enough. I'll report this
success to IOSS, but it seems like they're no longer updating their
compatibility pages. I deduce that they don't care if they sell this
product any longer or else their marketing department should all be
fired en masse.

Anyway, spread the gospel. BIOS Savior RD1-PMC4 is compatible with
the A8N-SLI series.

Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2005 1:59:24 PM

Was it a new BIOS savior. If not I wonder if the
BIOS from another card already present in the Savior
could not damage the motherboard with the switch
in the wrong position.

I wonder if there is a way of clearing it before
iunstallation.

> FG,
> You were correct. The size of the RD1-PMC4 is the same size as the
> A8N-SLI BIOS, I did not damage anything, and it DOES WORK!
>
> The use of the included BIOS-chip extractor was not well documented,
> but once I figured it out, it popped the original BIOS out almost
> effortlessly. Installation was a breeze -- thirty seconds flat.
>
> I am thrilled to finally have a computer with a working BIOS Savior
> installed. I can flash new BIOS versions at will without having to
> fear that I'll screw anything up.
>
> VERY, very importantly, I could not program the BIOS Savior with
> AWDFLASH.EXE, the newest version available for download at Asus, ver.
> 8.24, I believe. It gave a checksum error and refused to proceed.
> HOWEVER, I then tried the built-in Asus EZFlash (ALT-F2 during POST),
> and it copied the original BIOS file, 1004, to the BIOS Savior just
> as though it was writing to the regular BIOS chip. I could then leave
> the BIOS Savior set to RD1 and reboot. It's perfectly transparent. I
> cannot recommend the BIOS Savior highly enough. I'll report this
> success to IOSS, but it seems like they're no longer updating their
> compatibility pages. I deduce that they don't care if they sell this
> product any longer or else their marketing department should all be
> fired en masse.
>
> Anyway, spread the gospel. BIOS Savior RD1-PMC4 is compatible with
> the A8N-SLI series.
>

> Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 12:09:00 AM

Say Ron,
Now that you've identified the right BIOS Savior, would you mind going
through your installation and flashing procedure step-by-step for us who
walk with trepidation when it comes to this sort of thing? Thanks in
advance. I'd really like to get one of these and rest easier.
Jim

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
news:p i5kb1tqrldgttk7bdkvrf416fm4sanuqq@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:58:26 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
> wrote:
>
>>My advice : contact them by e-mail, stating the type and number of
>>your BIOS. They usually answer rapidly. My guess is that as long
>>as the BIOS is the same size it will work.
>>
>>As long as you disconnect your computer and proceed with care,
>>your board will not be damaged.
>>

>>> I'm still going to buy the only BIOS Savior that IOSS makes and see if
>>> it works. If it doesn't, then it should be a fairly simple matter to
>>> remove it and plug the original BIOS back into its original slot.
>>> I've never done this before, though, so I'm wondering how great a
>>> likelihood there is of damaging the mobo or BIOS chip using the
>>> chip-extracting device supplied with the BIOS Savior. Anybody know?
>>>

>>> Ron
>

> FG,
> You were correct. The size of the RD1-PMC4 is the same size as the
> A8N-SLI BIOS, I did not damage anything, and it DOES WORK!
>
> The use of the included BIOS-chip extractor was not well documented,
> but once I figured it out, it popped the original BIOS out almost
> effortlessly. Installation was a breeze -- thirty seconds flat.
>
> I am thrilled to finally have a computer with a working BIOS Savior
> installed. I can flash new BIOS versions at will without having to
> fear that I'll screw anything up.
>
> VERY, very importantly, I could not program the BIOS Savior with
> AWDFLASH.EXE, the newest version available for download at Asus, ver.
> 8.24, I believe. It gave a checksum error and refused to proceed.
> HOWEVER, I then tried the built-in Asus EZFlash (ALT-F2 during POST),
> and it copied the original BIOS file, 1004, to the BIOS Savior just
> as though it was writing to the regular BIOS chip. I could then leave
> the BIOS Savior set to RD1 and reboot. It's perfectly transparent. I
> cannot recommend the BIOS Savior highly enough. I'll report this
> success to IOSS, but it seems like they're no longer updating their
> compatibility pages. I deduce that they don't care if they sell this
> product any longer or else their marketing department should all be
> fired en masse.
>
> Anyway, spread the gospel. BIOS Savior RD1-PMC4 is compatible with
> the A8N-SLI series.
>

> Ron
June 24, 2005 7:15:54 AM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:59:24 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
wrote:

>Was it a new BIOS savior. If not I wonder if the
>BIOS from another card already present in the Savior
>could not damage the motherboard with the switch
>in the wrong position.
>
>I wonder if there is a way of clearing it before
>iunstallation.

Mine was brand new. There doesn't seem to be any way to clear a
previously used one, but that shouldn't be necessary since you would
be overwriting the entire chip when you install it and start to use
it. You'd just be positive that you had the switch set for "ORIGINAL"
the first time you POST after installation. I rather imagine that if
the switch were accidentally left on "RD1" that the computer would
simply not POST. I can't imagine that it could damage anything.

>> FG,
>> You were correct. The size of the RD1-PMC4 is the same size as the
>> A8N-SLI BIOS, I did not damage anything, and it DOES WORK!
>>
>> The use of the included BIOS-chip extractor was not well documented,
>> but once I figured it out, it popped the original BIOS out almost
>> effortlessly. Installation was a breeze -- thirty seconds flat.
>>
>> I am thrilled to finally have a computer with a working BIOS Savior
>> installed. I can flash new BIOS versions at will without having to
>> fear that I'll screw anything up.
>>
>> VERY, very importantly, I could not program the BIOS Savior with
>> AWDFLASH.EXE, the newest version available for download at Asus, ver.
>> 8.24, I believe. It gave a checksum error and refused to proceed.
>> HOWEVER, I then tried the built-in Asus EZFlash (ALT-F2 during POST),
>> and it copied the original BIOS file, 1004, to the BIOS Savior just
>> as though it was writing to the regular BIOS chip. I could then leave
>> the BIOS Savior set to RD1 and reboot. It's perfectly transparent. I
>> cannot recommend the BIOS Savior highly enough. I'll report this
>> success to IOSS, but it seems like they're no longer updating their
>> compatibility pages. I deduce that they don't care if they sell this
>> product any longer or else their marketing department should all be
>> fired en masse.
>>
>> Anyway, spread the gospel. BIOS Savior RD1-PMC4 is compatible with
>> the A8N-SLI series.
>>

>> Ron

Ron
June 24, 2005 7:47:11 AM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:09:00 -0400, "J&SB" <jandsb@cox.net> wrote:

>Say Ron,
>Now that you've identified the right BIOS Savior, would you mind going
>through your installation and flashing procedure step-by-step for us who
>walk with trepidation when it comes to this sort of thing? Thanks in
>advance. I'd really like to get one of these and rest easier.
>Jim

Sure.
1 -- Before I installed my motherboard, I used the neat little
BIOS-chip extractor supplied by IOSS to remove the PLCC BIOS chip.
Just like CPUs, these things go in only one way, and it's easy to tell
because one corner of the chip and socket are not square. The
instructions illustrate how to keep things in alignment.
2 -- plug the BIOS Savior into the motherboard socket vacated by the
original BIOS.
3 -- keeping the alignment in mind plug the original BIOS chip into
the identical socket on the top of the BIOS Savior. At this point,
the original chip is plugged into the Savior, and the Savior is
plugged into the mobo. There is NEVER an ELECTRICAL CONNECTION
between the EPROM in the BIOS Savior and the original BIOS chip
mounted in the BIOS Savior.
4 -- with the BIOS Savior switch set on ORG (for "original"), boot the
machine with a bootable floppy containing awdflash.exe in the drive.
5 -- run awdflash.exe and elect to save the original BIOS to the
floppy, giving it any name you wish.
6 -- flip the BIOS Savior switch to "RD1."
7 -- run awdflash again, this time telling it that you want to
reprogram the BIOS. Type in the name you gave the SAVED original
BIOS, and let it write that BIN file to the BIOS Savior's chip.

In my case, AWDFLASH gave a checksum error when trying to flash the
BIOS Savior. I had saved the original BIOS as ORIGINAL.BIN, so I set
the Savior to ORG, hit ALT-F2 during POST, and used Asus EZFlash
instead of awdflash.exe. After EZFlash was running, I set the BIOS
Savior to "RD1," and proceeded with the flash. EZFlash had no trouble
flashing the BIOS Savior. Now I have the same version of the BIOS in
both the Savior and the original chip. The data stored in CMOS is
therefore appropriate for both, and I can POST with the switch set in
either position.

After you get this far, you can leave the switch on either setting:
A -- you can leave it set on RD1. This leaves your pristine original
BIOS sitting there unused, while you run day-to-day from the BIOS
Savior's chip, keeping the original in reserve. You might even want
to remove it and put it somewhere else for safekeeping.
B -- you can set the switch back to ORG, running day-to-day from your
original BIOS, and using the BIOS Savior as a backup. If you get a
badflash, simply clear the CMOS, flip the BIOS Savior switch, and boot
from the known good backup.
C -- a development engineer could have different versions of the BIOS
in the Savior and the original chip and switch back an forth from one
boot to the next. I suspect that you'd have to clear CMOS to do that.
Not sure.
D -- you can use the BIOS Savior as a flashing device, something like
they do at badflash.com. If a friend had a messed-up BIOS, you could
extract the chip from his computer and then plug it into the BIOS
Savior. You'd then simply boot to a floppy, flip the switch, and
reflash his bad BIOS.

This really takes the fear and worry out of flash a BIOS. If it goes
bad, just flip a switch, and you're back in business.

>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
>news:p i5kb1tqrldgttk7bdkvrf416fm4sanuqq@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:58:26 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>My advice : contact them by e-mail, stating the type and number of
>>>your BIOS. They usually answer rapidly. My guess is that as long
>>>as the BIOS is the same size it will work.
>>>
>>>As long as you disconnect your computer and proceed with care,
>>>your board will not be damaged.

>> FG,
>> You were correct. The size of the RD1-PMC4 is the same size as the
>> A8N-SLI BIOS, I did not damage anything, and it DOES WORK!
>>
>> The use of the included BIOS-chip extractor was not well documented,
>> but once I figured it out, it popped the original BIOS out almost
>> effortlessly. Installation was a breeze -- thirty seconds flat.
>>
>> I am thrilled to finally have a computer with a working BIOS Savior
>> installed. I can flash new BIOS versions at will without having to
>> fear that I'll screw anything up.
>>
>> VERY, very importantly, I could not program the BIOS Savior with
>> AWDFLASH.EXE, the newest version available for download at Asus, ver.
>> 8.24, I believe. It gave a checksum error and refused to proceed.
>> HOWEVER, I then tried the built-in Asus EZFlash (ALT-F2 during POST),
>> and it copied the original BIOS file, 1004, to the BIOS Savior just
>> as though it was writing to the regular BIOS chip. I could then leave
>> the BIOS Savior set to RD1 and reboot. It's perfectly transparent. I
>> cannot recommend the BIOS Savior highly enough. I'll report this
>> success to IOSS, but it seems like they're no longer updating their
>> compatibility pages. I deduce that they don't care if they sell this
>> product any longer or else their marketing department should all be
>> fired en masse.
>>
>> Anyway, spread the gospel. BIOS Savior RD1-PMC4 is compatible with
>> the A8N-SLI series.
>>

>> Ron

Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 10:57:53 PM

Thanks for the detailed run-down. I'm going to get one of these for my
A8N-SLI Deluxe. I think the price is a bargain for the peace of mind that
you get. What other boot device would support this procedure? I'm one of
those guys with a relatively new rig, and they just don't put floppies in
them any more.
Thanks,
Jim

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
news:o numb1ljq0iud8uh25r4tg8ege4eiljmfj@4ax.com...
> [...]
>>>
>>> VERY, very importantly, I could not program the BIOS Savior with
>>> AWDFLASH.EXE, the newest version available for download at Asus, ver.
>>> 8.24, I believe. It gave a checksum error and refused to proceed.
>>> HOWEVER, I then tried the built-in Asus EZFlash (ALT-F2 during POST),
>>> and it copied the original BIOS file, 1004, to the BIOS Savior just
>>> as though it was writing to the regular BIOS chip. I could then leave
>>> the BIOS Savior set to RD1 and reboot. It's perfectly transparent. I
>>> cannot recommend the BIOS Savior highly enough. I'll report this
>>> success to IOSS, but it seems like they're no longer updating their
>>> compatibility pages. I deduce that they don't care if they sell this
>>> product any longer or else their marketing department should all be
>>> fired en masse.
>>>
>>> Anyway, spread the gospel. BIOS Savior RD1-PMC4 is compatible with

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 24, 2005 11:40:49 PM

True. But a floppy is easy to make.
Page 4 - 2 of your motherboard manual.

By the way, I have a Bios savior. It is much
safer in that even if there is a ^pwer failure during the
flashing process.

"J&SB" <jandsb@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
nd0ve.51082$iU.24185@lakeread05...
> [...]
>> original BIOS, and using the BIOS Savior as a backup. If you get a
>> badflash, simply clear the CMOS, flip the BIOS Savior switch, and boot
>> from the known good backup.
>> C -- a development engineer could have different versions of the BIOS
>> in the Savior and the original chip and switch back an forth from one
>> boot to the next. I suspect that you'd have to clear CMOS to do that.
>> Not sure.
>> D -- you can use the BIOS Savior as a flashing device, something like
>> they do at badflash.com. If a friend had a messed-up BIOS, you could
>> extract the chip from his computer and then plug it into the BIOS
>> Savior. You'd then simply boot to a floppy, flip the switch, and
>> reflash his bad BIOS.
>>
>> This really takes the fear and worry out of flash a BIOS. If it goes
>> bad, just flip a switch, and you're back in business.

June 25, 2005 4:00:36 AM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:57:53 -0400, "J&SB" <jandsb@cox.net> wrote:

>Thanks for the detailed run-down. I'm going to get one of these for my
>A8N-SLI Deluxe. I think the price is a bargain for the peace of mind that
>you get. What other boot device would support this procedure? I'm one of
>those guys with a relatively new rig, and they just don't put floppies in
>them any more.
>Thanks,
>Jim
1 -- It would theoretically work with any device from which you can
run AWDFLASH.EXE under DOS -- floppy, optical, hard drive. If you can
boot a USB key drive to DOS, it could work from that.
2 -- HOWEVER, remember that in my experience, AWDFLASH refused to
write to the BIOS Savior (the "checksum-error" problem). With
EZFlash, my method, it might require a floppy. I'm not really sure
whether EZFlash can look anywhere other than the floppy drive for the
..BIN file. Maybe someone here knows. If not, I'll run it and report
back.
3 -- It would theoretically work using the Windows GUI BIOS flasher.
Of course, that might give the checksum error, too. I've no idea why
AWDFLASH did that and EZFlash did not, but the Windows flasher might
go either way.

It's true that some manufacturers don't include a floppy these days.
For the rare occasion when you're flashing a BIOS, IF there's no way
to use EZFlash with an optical drive AND neither of the other two
methods work, I think it would be easy enough to connect a $9.95
floppy drive. No need for a mechanical installation -- just put a
shoe box beside the open case, put the floppy on it, and run the data
and power cables to it for the few minutes it takes to do this little
job.

Lastly, I'll give the time-honored caveat, "YMMV." For me, AWDFLASH
wouldn't work, but EZFlash worked beautifully. There's no guarantee
that in another machine the computer gremlins wouldn't prevent both
those methods from working. If it was the version of AWDFLASH that
caused it not to work and the particular version of EZFlash that did
allow it to work, then the situation could change with new releases of
either. But what do you have to lose by trying. If it doesn't fly,
RMA the thing to the e-tailer.

> [...]
>> original BIOS, and using the BIOS Savior as a backup. If you get a
>> badflash, simply clear the CMOS, flip the BIOS Savior switch, and boot
>> from the known good backup.
>> C -- a development engineer could have different versions of the BIOS
>> in the Savior and the original chip and switch back an forth from one
>> boot to the next. I suspect that you'd have to clear CMOS to do that.
>> Not sure.
>> D -- you can use the BIOS Savior as a flashing device, something like
>> they do at badflash.com. If a friend had a messed-up BIOS, you could
>> extract the chip from his computer and then plug it into the BIOS
>> Savior. You'd then simply boot to a floppy, flip the switch, and
>> reflash his bad BIOS.
>>
>> This really takes the fear and worry out of flash a BIOS. If it goes
>> bad, just flip a switch, and you're back in business.

Ron
June 25, 2005 10:43:30 AM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:40:49 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
wrote:

>True. But a floppy is easy to make.
>Page 4 - 2 of your motherboard manual.
>
>By the way, I have a Bios savior. It is much
>safer in that even if there is a ^pwer failure during the
>flashing process.

What motherboard do you have it installed in?

> [...]
>>> original BIOS, and using the BIOS Savior as a backup. If you get a
>>> badflash, simply clear the CMOS, flip the BIOS Savior switch, and boot
>>> from the known good backup.
>>> C -- a development engineer could have different versions of the BIOS
>>> in the Savior and the original chip and switch back an forth from one
>>> boot to the next. I suspect that you'd have to clear CMOS to do that.
>>> Not sure.
>>> D -- you can use the BIOS Savior as a flashing device, something like
>>> they do at badflash.com. If a friend had a messed-up BIOS, you could
>>> extract the chip from his computer and then plug it into the BIOS
>>> Savior. You'd then simply boot to a floppy, flip the switch, and
>>> reflash his bad BIOS.
>>>
>>> This really takes the fear and worry out of flash a BIOS. If it goes
>>> bad, just flip a switch, and you're back in business.

Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2005 1:30:16 PM

The reference was to A8N-SLI Deluxe's manual -
but that page number also applies to A7N8X-E Deluxe.

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
u7vpb19e9kfsp0l0vf201dtegsbl6pmgc5@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:40:49 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
> wrote:
>
>>True. But a floppy is easy to make.
>>Page 4 - 2 of your motherboard manual.
>>
>>By the way, I have a Bios savior. It is much
>>safer in that even if there is a ^pwer failure during the
>>flashing process.
>
> What motherboard do you have it installed in?
>

>>"J&SB" <jandsb@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>nd0ve.51082$iU.24185@lakeread05...
>>> Thanks for the detailed run-down. I'm going to get one of these for my
>>> A8N-SLI Deluxe. I think the price is a bargain for the peace of mind
>>> that
>>> you get. What other boot device would support this procedure? I'm one
>>> of
>>> those guys with a relatively new rig, and they just don't put floppies
>>> in
>>> them any more.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> "milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
>>> news:o numb1ljq0iud8uh25r4tg8ege4eiljmfj@4ax.com...

> Ron
June 26, 2005 12:15:28 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:30:16 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
wrote:

>The reference was to A8N-SLI Deluxe's manual -
>but that page number also applies to A7N8X-E Deluxe.

So I take it you have it installed in an A7N8X-E?

>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
>u7vpb19e9kfsp0l0vf201dtegsbl6pmgc5@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:40:49 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>True. But a floppy is easy to make.
>>>Page 4 - 2 of your motherboard manual.
>>>
>>>By the way, I have a Bios savior. It is much
>>>safer in that even if there is a ^pwer failure during the
>>>flashing process.
>>
>> What motherboard do you have it installed in?
>>

>>>"J&SB" <jandsb@cox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>>nd0ve.51082$iU.24185@lakeread05...

>> Ron

Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2005 12:15:29 AM

On both types.

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
2qerb19oprgpqhp3j0apo5mnnj0tle1b0a@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:30:16 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
> wrote:
>
>>The reference was to A8N-SLI Deluxe's manual -
>>but that page number also applies to A7N8X-E Deluxe.
>
> So I take it you have it installed in an A7N8X-E?
>>
>>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>u7vpb19e9kfsp0l0vf201dtegsbl6pmgc5@4ax.com...

>>> What motherboard do you have it installed in?

>>> Ron
>>

> Ron
June 26, 2005 10:55:18 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:41:16 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
wrote:

>On both types.

Great!! Please fill us in on your use of awdflash.exe on the these
two boards. Any problems completing the flash using it? Did you have
to employ a workaround?

>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
>2qerb19oprgpqhp3j0apo5mnnj0tle1b0a@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:30:16 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>The reference was to A8N-SLI Deluxe's manual -
>>>but that page number also applies to A7N8X-E Deluxe.
>>
>> So I take it you have it installed in an A7N8X-E?
>>>
>>>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>>u7vpb19e9kfsp0l0vf201dtegsbl6pmgc5@4ax.com...

>> Ron

Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2005 5:05:10 PM

Read your manual and detailed instructions below.

"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
p8ksb19rg30tbn3pknui7c9hn8thjht3u7@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:41:16 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
> wrote:
>
>>On both types.
>
> Great!! Please fill us in on your use of awdflash.exe on the these
> two boards. Any problems completing the flash using it? Did you have
> to employ a workaround?
>>
>>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>2qerb19oprgpqhp3j0apo5mnnj0tle1b0a@4ax.com...

>>> So I take it you have it installed in an A7N8X-E?

>>> Ron
>>

> Ron
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 27, 2005 4:08:58 AM

Paul wrote:
> In any case, it looks like the user has no control any more with this
> program. Either this means Asus is not updating the boot block, or
> they are paying lip service to the concept of CrashFree (i.e. it is
> updated every time).
>
> Paul

If you use the EZ-Flash utility built into the BIOS to flash, you can
see that some of the flash blocks are shown as "No Update". Presumably
this is the boot block area..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
June 27, 2005 9:06:41 AM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:05:10 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
wrote:

>Read your manual and detailed instructions below.

There's nothing in any manual about this, and the only "detailed
instructions below" are the ones I wrote myself. I'm asking if you
had any trouble using AWDFLASH to program your BIOS Savior. I did,
and I'm wanting to know if my experience was the exception or the
rule.

>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
>p8ksb19rg30tbn3pknui7c9hn8thjht3u7@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:41:16 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On both types.
>>
>> Great!! Please fill us in on your use of awdflash.exe on the these
>> two boards. Any problems completing the flash using it? Did you have
>> to employ a workaround?
>>>
>>>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
>>>2qerb19oprgpqhp3j0apo5mnnj0tle1b0a@4ax.com...

>> Ron

Ron
June 28, 2005 8:17:01 AM

In article <g62vb19re6773t54ne849mgi7ulmqgeaps@4ax.com>,
miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:05:10 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
> wrote:
>
> >Read your manual and detailed instructions below.
>
> There's nothing in any manual about this, and the only "detailed
> instructions below" are the ones I wrote myself. I'm asking if you
> had any trouble using AWDFLASH to program your BIOS Savior. I did,
> and I'm wanting to know if my experience was the exception or the
> rule.
>
> Ron

I wonder if AWDFLASH has special case code working in it, so you
get different responses depending on the motherboard ? Did you
try /wb to force writing the boot block of the BIOS Savior chip ?
Would it be complaining about the checksum of the boot block
on the new chip, or the checksum of the main code area ?

Now, I just did an experiment, of no particular value. You mention
how EZFLASH was able to flash the chip, and yet AWDFLASH could not.
Using a hex edit, I took a look through an A8N-SLI Deluxe BIOS file.
(I happened to have one from a previous experiment.) Files within
an Award BIOS are delimited by the string "-lh5-". I take two
characters before -lh5-, on the suspicion they could be a checksum,
then copy all the code until the next -lh5- string. (I used to do
this without a hex editor, using "splitawd", but the new BIOS files
befuddle that program.)

In the following example, the file name is declared soon after the
the -lh5-

%K-lh5-`VØ&@ awdflash.exe

If I decompress that LHA file (chunk of code delimited by -lh5-
header), the resulting file left in the folder is "awdflash.exe"
(no surprise), and it has exactly the same size and checksum,
as the AWDFLASH that comes with the BIOS file I downloaded (my
downloaded ZIP file had a BIOS file, a text file, and AWDFLASH
in it). In other words, in this case AWDFLASH and EZFLASH are
one in the same animal, and the execution environment must be
causing different behaviors (such as tolerating checksum errors
or the like).

A version string inside the program reads "AwardBIOS Flash Utility
for ASUS V1.11", so that is not the same program as 8.24b. It
is 44886 bytes in length.

So, I think AWDFLASH has capabilities that remain to be tapped...

It seems the A8N-SLI_deluxe_1009sd02.zip containing its own copy
of AWDFLASH is no longer available. The flash.txt file included
in the ZIP file says (and this tells you it was cooked up at
Asus Germany):

"ACHTUNG:

Dieses BIOS darf NUR mit den folgenden Flashtoolversionen
upgedated werden (oder h–here Versionen) !

Keine ”lteren Versionen verwenden !

Warning:

This BIOS can only be flashed with the following flashtool
versions (or higher versions) ! Do NOT use older versions !

- ASUS LiveUpdate v6.05.01
- ASUS AWDFLASH v1.11

Flashtools -> ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/BIOS_FLASH_UTILS"

and if you go here, this is the same version of awdflash included
in the 1009sd02 download, as well as being the same file as
you get when extracting it from inside a BIOS file. This is
version 1.11 ...

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/BIOS_FLASH_UTILS/...

Since you have the BIOS Savior, try experimenting with that
version of awdflash (1.11), and see how it behaves.

Paul
June 29, 2005 3:13:21 AM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:17:01 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

> [...]
>
> "ACHTUNG:
>
> Dieses BIOS darf NUR mit den folgenden Flashtoolversionen
> upgedated werden (oder h–here Versionen) !
>
> Keine ”lteren Versionen verwenden !
>
> Warning:
>
> This BIOS can only be flashed with the following flashtool
> versions (or higher versions) ! Do NOT use older versions !
>
> - ASUS LiveUpdate v6.05.01
> - ASUS AWDFLASH v1.11
>
> Flashtools -> ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/BIOS_FLASH_UTILS"
>
>and if you go here, this is the same version of awdflash included
>in the 1009sd02 download, as well as being the same file as
>you get when extracting it from inside a BIOS file. This is
>version 1.11 ...
>
>ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/BIOS_FLASH_UTILS/...
>
>Since you have the BIOS Savior, try experimenting with that
>version of awdflash (1.11), and see how it behaves.

Wow, what a huge effort!
I downloaded the 1.11 AWDFLASH, and I'll try flashing the BIOS Savior
with it.
More later.

Ron
June 29, 2005 4:40:53 AM

I just ran across a new low-price leader for the RD1-PCM4 at Paragon
Computer Accessories:
http://www.paragonca.com/rd1.html

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 05:43:54 -0400, "J&SB" <jandsb@cox.net> wrote:

>There are complete kits here:
>http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Electronics/se=IOSS%20...
>for about $25 but again, it's difficult to know which, if any, is compatible
>with the A8N-SLI or A8N-SLI Deluxe.
>

>"milleron" <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote in message
>>
>> Asus' Crash-Free BIOS notwithstanding, the most elegant protection
>> against BIOS-flashing disasters is the BIOS Savior by IOSS in Taiwan.
>> Unfortunately, they don't seem to have updated their Web site and
>> compatibility list for about four years. Nevertheless, the BIOS
>> Savior is still for sale. Mwave has a 4MB version,
>> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA098...
>> but there's no compatibility table there, either.
>> Is it possible that this version would work with the 4MB BIOS on the
>> A8N-SLI?
>>

>> Ron

Ron
!