Possible to update bios without floppy?

For some odd reason my floppy is not being detected. I wonder if its
possible to update the bios without a floppy somehow? My CD is bootable -
could I put the driver on a CD and boot from that?

No. By the way, you might want to mention next time WHICH model of
motherboard you are asking about.

--
DaveW

"feee" <sdfklj@slkdjf.com> wrote in message
> For some odd reason my floppy is not being detected. I wonder if its
> possible to update the bios without a floppy somehow? My CD is bootable -
> could I put the driver on a CD and boot from that?

yep

"feee" <sdfklj@slkdjf.com> wrote in message
> For some odd reason my floppy is not being detected. I wonder if its
> possible to update the bios without a floppy somehow? My CD is bootable -
> could I put the driver on a CD and boot from that?

If you have the Asus update utility, you could do it over the net, although
I think you'd be safer fixing the floppy
"Ginchy" <avmaster@BBBBBbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> yep
>

> "feee" <sdfklj@slkdjf.com> wrote in message
>> For some odd reason my floppy is not being detected. I wonder if its
>> possible to update the bios without a floppy somehow? My CD is
>> bootable -
>> could I put the driver on a CD and boot from that?

Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

Yes, you can. I have updated bioses using a CD. If you have Nero or
someother CD writing software that can burn a bootable CD, all you have to
do is first include the bios update files, then when the CD boots the system
run the bios update utility from the command line. The only limitation is
you won't be able to backup your old bios to the cd, although, which is
something I haven't tried, you might be able to backup the old bios to the
HDD. For example, if the BIOS utility allows manual configuration of where
the backup goes try, "c:\biosold". This will only work with FAT32, not
NTFS, unless you, also, included on the bootable CD "readntfs.exe" from
Wininternals.

john

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:48:06 -0400, feee <sdfklj@slkdjf.com> wrote:

>For some odd reason my floppy is not being detected. I wonder if its
>possible to update the bios without a floppy somehow? My CD is bootable -
>could I put the driver on a CD and boot from that?

Yes.

BTW, the floppy drive not being detected was the first sign that my P4P800 Deluxe was on the way towards
failure.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

RBM wrote:
> If you have the Asus update utility, you could do it over the net, although
> I think you'd be safer fixing the floppy

I've always used the Asus Update utility in Windows - no problems (so far!).

Rob

> No. By the way, you might want to mention next time WHICH model of
> motherboard you are asking about.

Asus P2B