Dual Mobile Pentium III 1.1GHz (SL5QW) on Asus P2B-DS moth..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2005 12:54:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

I've found couple of ads on eBay for Mobile Pentium III 1.1GHz
processors (ad says they are SL5QW). These processors have 1.75V core
and 100MHz FSB, and I was wondering if they are going to work in my
P2B-DS motherboard (rev 1.5, not sure what voltage chip it has) with
Asus 370-DL slotket adapters set to 1.8V. I guess they should, the
only thing that I'm worried about is that ad specifically says "Mobile
Pentium III". Is there any difference between "mobile" and "normal"
version of Pentium III that can byte me? Or did seller simply wrote
"mobile" because he pulled processors out of laptop (and there really
isn't separate "mobile" version of this processor)?

I couldn't find any information on Intel's web site that would answer
my questions.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2005 4:39:58 PM

On 6/9/2005 11:54, amiliv@gmail.com wrote:
> I've found couple of ads on eBay for Mobile Pentium III 1.1GHz
> processors (ad says they are SL5QW).

<http://processorfinder.intel.com/&gt; says this is not a mobile P3 cpu.

BTW, yes a mobile P3 would be a problem because the package type is
completely different (not socket 370). It sounds like there's already
hackery being contemplated and I'm not familiar with your board but keep
in mind the best P3 to get is the tulutin P3's with 512K L2 cache.
They're 1.5 volt and use a 133Mhz bus. Probably a long shot to get
working in a slot type board.

BTW, anyone running a tulutin in a tyan Tiger 100 dual cpu board? I'd
love to know how ;)

~Jason

--
June 9, 2005 5:30:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

In article <1118332463.778106.121730@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
amiliv@gmail.com wrote:

> I've found couple of ads on eBay for Mobile Pentium III 1.1GHz
> processors (ad says they are SL5QW). These processors have 1.75V core
> and 100MHz FSB, and I was wondering if they are going to work in my
> P2B-DS motherboard (rev 1.5, not sure what voltage chip it has) with
> Asus 370-DL slotket adapters set to 1.8V. I guess they should, the
> only thing that I'm worried about is that ad specifically says "Mobile
> Pentium III". Is there any difference between "mobile" and "normal"
> version of Pentium III that can byte me? Or did seller simply wrote
> "mobile" because he pulled processors out of laptop (and there really
> isn't separate "mobile" version of this processor)?
>
> I couldn't find any information on Intel's web site that would answer
> my questions.

That looks like a 1.1GHz/100Mhz/256KB Coppermine. It is socket 370.
The word "mobile" doesn't appear on this page:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sS...

This is the spec update for Pentium III.
http://support.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/specupdt/244...

The Mobile Pentium III list is pretty strange looking (click "Go").
Note the socket pin count is bigger.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp?CH...

You've probably already seen Roland's FAQ:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade...

There are some comments from "P2B" here:
http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.periphs.mainboar...

HTH,
Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2005 11:42:32 PM

amiliv@gmail.com wrote:
> I've found couple of ads on eBay for Mobile Pentium III 1.1GHz
> processors (ad says they are SL5QW). These processors have 1.75V core
> and 100MHz FSB, and I was wondering if they are going to work in my
> P2B-DS motherboard (rev 1.5, not sure what voltage chip it has) with
> Asus 370-DL slotket adapters set to 1.8V. I guess they should, the
> only thing that I'm worried about is that ad specifically says "Mobile
> Pentium III". Is there any difference between "mobile" and "normal"
> version of Pentium III that can byte me? Or did seller simply wrote
> "mobile" because he pulled processors out of laptop (and there really
> isn't separate "mobile" version of this processor)?
>
> I couldn't find any information on Intel's web site that would answer
> my questions.

For questions like this I always suggest powerleap.com as a place to
look for information. They make (made?) a "slocket" which allowed a skt
370 CPU to run in slot boards. Sorry, long time ago, I may be thinking
P-II rather than P-III but worth a look anyway.

--
bill davidsen
http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> For questions like this I always suggest powerleap.com as a place to
> look for information. They make (made?) a "slocket" which allowed a skt
> 370 CPU to run in slot boards. Sorry, long time ago, I may be thinking
> P-II rather than P-III but worth a look anyway.

I've checked their web site already couple of days ago (found it in
FAQ). The prices they have are insane. It costs about the same to buy
*entire* system from Dell (Celeron D 2.4GHz, 80GB disk, 256MB RAM) as
they are charging for single PL-iP3/T with 1.4 GHz P3. Go dual, and I
could almost buy 1U dual P4 server for that price. I simply don't
understand why would anybody buy those adapters from PowerLeap?

Anyhow, thanks to everybody who answered. I'll be probably buying
those 1.1 GHz processors, if seller finally reposnds to my email (to
confirm the processors are really SL5QW (which would mean they really
are not in "mobile" packaging), and that he will not use UPS for
shipping).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2005 11:19:04 PM

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>>For questions like this I always suggest powerleap.com as a place to
>>look for information. They make (made?) a "slocket" which allowed a skt
>>370 CPU to run in slot boards. Sorry, long time ago, I may be thinking
>>P-II rather than P-III but worth a look anyway.
>

> I've checked their web site already couple of days ago (found it in
> FAQ). The prices they have are insane. It costs about the same to buy
> *entire* system from Dell (Celeron D 2.4GHz, 80GB disk, 256MB RAM) as
> they are charging for single PL-iP3/T with 1.4 GHz P3. Go dual, and I
> could almost buy 1U dual P4 server for that price. I simply don't
> understand why would anybody buy those adapters from PowerLeap?

That's easy, because a system is more than CPU and motherboard. If you
have an investment in memory, video, or particularly an embedded app
with custom hardware attached, it's cost effective. If your company has
different pockets labeled upgrade and replace, you may be able to get
funding for a better CPU but not a new system.

There's obviously a market for their stuff, or they wouldn't be here.

--
!