Windows XP crashes on plugging in Griffin imic

The Griffin imic is a USB audio adapter that is supposed to work with windows
XP without any additional software. My laptop and dektop both freeze when I
plug it in - both run xp Home SP1.

Any suggestions ?

General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575&Product=winxp
Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822603&Product=winxp

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/