First PDA questions

June 28, 2004 10:14:37 AM

I just got my first PDA - a screaming deal from eBay (well, I think so!).
It's a Jornada 540 series with the folding Targus keyboard. Having played
with it all weekend, I'm left with a few questions that I hope someone can
shed some light on.

1) Is it possible to get system and device info off of this thing? I'm
thinking of the About menu under Help on a PC. I don't know what specific
version of PocketPC I'm running, or even which model in the Jornada 540
series this is.

2) Is there a special format to use when saving documents on my PC to get
PocketWord and Excel to recognize them? I have two computer to sync to: one
has Win and Office XP, the other is Win98 with Off2K.

3) Is there a way to close out a program without going all the way back to
Today and using the Task Switcher?

Any answers or pointers to the answers are greatly appreciated.
Ed

More about : pda questions

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 4:15:23 PM

The OS is PPC 2000 or WinCE 3.0 ...it is _not_ upgradable as it does
not have flash memory

More important is the processor which is an SH3 Any software will have
to support the SH3 processor (most current programs do) but programs
that only support ARM processors will not and you will not be able to
load and run WMob.Net applications

You should be able to open most word and excel files simply by copying
them to a CF card as well as "syncing" them... note that complex
features such as graphs, passwords, protection will not work, and, more
critically, if you edit a complex document on the 540 and copy it back
to the PC, _all advanced features will be removed!_

using the keyboard, you will be able to close any program that does not
have an "Exit" option in a menu by tapping <Ctrl-Q>

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 4:19:15 PM

Note... start looking for a source for a replacement battery since the
liklyhood is high that any 540 battery is near the end of it's life.

I have HP's partnumber for this battery at
http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Pwr but they may no longer stock it.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
June 28, 2004 7:54:08 PM

You can get Jornada 52x and 54x batteries at www.jornadabattery.com .

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message news:uFqLKQTXEHA.2408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Note... start looking for a source for a replacement battery since the
> liklyhood is high that any 540 battery is near the end of it's life.
>
> I have HP's partnumber for this battery at
> http://BevHoward.com/bhhpj.htm#Pwr but they may no longer stock it.

June 28, 2004 8:43:56 PM

"Ed" <Ed_Millis@NOSPAM.Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just got my first PDA - a screaming deal from eBay (well, I think so!).
> It's a Jornada 540 series with the folding Targus keyboard. Having played
> with it all weekend, I'm left with a few questions that I hope someone can
> shed some light on.
>
> 1) Is it possible to get system and device info off of this thing? I'm
> thinking of the About menu under Help on a PC. I don't know what specific
> version of PocketPC I'm running, or even which model in the Jornada 540
> series this is.

Start, Settings, Sysyem, About

> 2) Is there a special format to use when saving documents on my PC to get
> PocketWord and Excel to recognize them? I have two computer to sync to:
one
> has Win and Office XP, the other is Win98 with Off2K.

Files are converted by the synchronising software on copying to your pda and
back.
Remember your pda programs don't support a lot of the features of the
desktop programs and things may be lost during conversion. Like Excel
graphs, scripts/macros, some formatting, ......

> 3) Is there a way to close out a program without going all the way back to
> Today and using the Task Switcher?

Close out? You mean exit the program? Then not as standard but there are
accessories that can help. I think icbar does this.

> Any answers or pointers to the answers are greatly appreciated.
> Ed

June 28, 2004 8:43:57 PM

Thank you, Alan. I appreciate the info.

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Ed" <Ed_Millis@NOSPAM.Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I just got my first PDA - a screaming deal from eBay (well, I think
so!).
> > It's a Jornada 540 series with the folding Targus keyboard. Having
played
> > with it all weekend, I'm left with a few questions that I hope someone
can
> > shed some light on.
> >
> > 1) Is it possible to get system and device info off of this thing? I'm
> > thinking of the About menu under Help on a PC. I don't know what
specific
> > version of PocketPC I'm running, or even which model in the Jornada 540
> > series this is.
> >

> Start, Settings, Sysyem, About
>
> > 2) Is there a special format to use when saving documents on my PC to
get
> > PocketWord and Excel to recognize them? I have two computer to sync to:
> one
> > has Win and Office XP, the other is Win98 with Off2K.
> >

> Files are converted by the synchronising software on copying to your pda
and
> back.
> Remember your pda programs don't support a lot of the features of the
> desktop programs and things may be lost during conversion. Like Excel
> graphs, scripts/macros, some formatting, ......
>
> > 3) Is there a way to close out a program without going all the way back
> > Today and using the Task Switcher?
> >

> Close out? You mean exit the program? Then not as standard but there are
> accessories that can help. I think icbar does this.
>
> > Any answers or pointers to the answers are greatly appreciated.
> > Ed

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 10:00:51 PM

>> 3) Is there a way to close out a program without going all the way
>> back to Today and using the Task Switcher?

Do a Google for "Wisbar" a pretty much essential download as is "Calendar+".
Well they are for me and they are both FOC.

--
Brett

Bromsgrove Beer Festival
www.bromsgrovebeerfestival.org.uk