convert from fat32 to ntfs on XP Pro

If I try to convert from the fat32 file system to ntfs,
does this require a reformat, and will I loose data?
4 answers Last reply
More about convert fat32 ntfs

    "jeronimo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >If I try to convert from the fat32 file system to ntfs,
    >does this require a reformat, and will I loose data?

    The conversion is in effect a reformat, with the data preserved in
    place.

    However Murphy's Law applies to computers, and therefore it is always
    a good idea to have everything that is really important backed up.

    Before doing the conversion read MVP Alex Nichol's article on this
    subject at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm There is an
    important preliminary step that you should take.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    No. Just run a command promt Start->Run cmd
    enter convert c: /fs:ntfs

    assuming it is c: you want to convert

    of course, normal caveats about backups etc apply..

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    jeronimo wrote:
    > If I try to convert from the fat32 file system to ntfs,
    > does this require a reformat, and will I loose data?

    You can safely convert the partition to NTFS whenever desired,
    without having to format the partition and reinstall everything. As
    always when performing any serious changes, back up any important data
    before proceeding, just in case. A little advance preparation is also
    strongly recommended, so you can avoid any performance hits caused by
    the default cluster size:

    Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows
    http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm

    --