"Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when W..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hello
An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when Windows XP
Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the format is "Quick" and
Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?
37 answers Last reply
More about windows unable complete format appears
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    > An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when
    > Windows XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the
    > format is "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?

    I do not recall Windows XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2 supporting natively formatting
    or burning DVD-R/RW, +R/RW, DL or RAM.. What application are you using to
    format the DVD again?

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Does this apply:

    The formatting operation is unsuccessful when you try to format a DVD-RAM
    disc as FAT32 after you use InCD 4 :
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165

    If not:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when Windows
    > XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the format is "Quick"
    > and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    > Hello
    > An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when
    > Windows XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the
    > format is "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?

    This is a third party software problem.
    XP does not support DVD burning.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165
    I don't use any application to format a DVD-RAM.
    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    >> An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when
    >> Windows XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the
    >> format is "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?
    >
    > I do not recall Windows XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2 supporting natively
    > formatting
    > or burning DVD-R/RW, +R/RW, DL or RAM.. What application are you using to
    > format the DVD again?
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    No. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165 does not apply.

    > Does this apply:
    >
    > The formatting operation is unsuccessful when you try to format a DVD-RAM
    > disc as FAT32 after you use InCD 4 :
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165
    >
    > If not:
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when Windows
    >> XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the format is
    >> "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You need to soften your edges. Hope all goes well for you.

    --

    > No. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165 does not apply.

    >> Does this apply:
    >>
    >> The formatting operation is unsuccessful when you try to format a DVD-RAM
    >> disc as FAT32 after you use InCD 4 :
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165
    >>
    >> If not:
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    >> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >>> Hello
    >>> An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when
    >>> Windows XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the format
    >>> is "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283588
    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    >> An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when
    >> Windows XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the
    >> format is "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?
    >
    > I do not recall Windows XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2 supporting natively
    > formatting
    > or burning DVD-R/RW, +R/RW, DL or RAM.. What application are you using to
    > format the DVD again?
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283588

    Okay, although the article is sparse in actual information, not actually
    saying it formats DVD-RAM as DVD-RAM discs, just that it can read/write to
    them, I have no doubt that if you are complaining now - possibly it worked
    before?

    Which of the two drives they list as being compatable with Windows XP do you
    have?
    Did this work before?
    (possibly before SP2? If so, have you tried uninstalling SP2 and trying
    again?)
    Does it work with any third party software you have/can download?
    (You might try a trial version of NERO, just to be sure this is a Windows
    issue and not a hardware one.)

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    gives 382,000 results about HDDs, not DVD-RAM drives.

    "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > No. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165 does not apply.

    >> Does this apply:
    >>
    >> The formatting operation is unsuccessful when you try to format a DVD-RAM
    >> disc as FAT32 after you use InCD 4 :
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165
    >>
    >> If not:
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    >> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >>> Hello
    >>> An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when
    >>> Windows XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the format
    >>> is "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    So, search for yourself!

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    > gives 382,000 results about HDDs, not DVD-RAM drives.
    >
    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> No. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165 does not apply.
    >>
    >> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Does this apply:
    >>>
    >>> The formatting operation is unsuccessful when you try to format a
    >>> DVD-RAM disc as FAT32 after you use InCD 4 :
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165
    >>>
    >>> If not:
    >>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> All the Best,
    >>> Kelly
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >>> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>>
    >>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>>
    >>> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=%22DVD-RAM%22&num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=off
    gives my message and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165 only.
    > Does this apply:
    >
    > The formatting operation is unsuccessful when you try to format a DVD-RAM
    > disc as FAT32 after you use InCD 4 :
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165
    >
    > If not:
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when Windows
    >> XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the format is
    >> "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Is this your reply when you don't know how to help?
    > You need to soften your edges. Hope all goes well for you.
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> No. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165 does not apply.
    >>
    >> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Does this apply:
    >>>
    >>> The formatting operation is unsuccessful when you try to format a
    >>> DVD-RAM disc as FAT32 after you use InCD 4 :
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165
    >>>
    >>> If not:
    >>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> All the Best,
    >>> Kelly
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >>> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>>
    >>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>>
    >>> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I know how to help and no, it isn't. However, have you ever heard of the
    saying, "Don't burn your bridges"?

    Either way........

    --

    > Is this your reply when you don't know how to help?
    >> You need to soften your edges. Hope all goes well for you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    >> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >>> No. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165 does not apply.
    >>>
    >>> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I have not heard.
    >I know how to help and no, it isn't. However, have you ever heard of the
    >saying, "Don't burn your bridges"?
    >
    > Either way........
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> Is this your reply when you don't know how to help?
    >> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> You need to soften your edges. Hope all goes well for you.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> All the Best,
    >>> Kelly
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >>> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>>
    >>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>>
    >>> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    There is nothing about DVD-RAM and "Windows was unable to complete the
    format" in Google.
    > So, search for yourself!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >

    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >

    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    >> gives 382,000 results about HDDs, not DVD-RAM drives.
    >>
    >> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >>> No. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165 does not apply.
    >>>
    >>> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when
    >> Windows XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the
    >> format is "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?
    >
    > This is a third party software problem.
    > XP does not support DVD burning.
    > --
    > Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    > xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com
    > For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    > There is nothing about DVD-RAM and "Windows was unable to complete the
    > format" in Google.
    >
    >>So, search for yourself!
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>Regards:
    >>
    >>Richard Urban
    >>

    >>aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>

    >>"Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    >>>gives 382,000 results about HDDs, not DVD-RAM drives.
    >>>
    >>>"Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message

    Place the search criteria as a quote "dvd-ram" The results of my search
    about dvd-ram is supported by the OEM, however
    XP supports two types DVD-RAM drives Hitachi GF-2000 and Toshiba SD-W2002

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283588
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I think that SP2 stopped my CD (I know the OP was DVD) writing software
    from working. I uninstalled SP2 and it worked again. Reinstalled SP2 and
    its broken again.
    Third party packet writing software called DLA

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283588
    > "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>> An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when
    >>> Windows XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the
    >>> format is "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?
    >>
    >> This is a third party software problem.
    >> XP does not support DVD burning.
    >> --
    >> Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    >> xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com
    >> For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Pat wrote:

    > I think that SP2 stopped my CD (I know the OP was DVD) writing software
    > from working. I uninstalled SP2 and it worked again. Reinstalled SP2 and
    > its broken again.
    > Third party packet writing software called DLA
    >
    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283588
    >> "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message

    >>> This is a third party software problem.
    >>> XP does not support DVD burning.
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    >>> xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    >>> http://michaelstevenstech.com
    >>> For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
    >>> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

    You need to see if the vendor has an update patch for SP2. Nero needed
    one.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    http://www.goenglish.com/BurnYourBridges.asp

    --

    >I have not heard.
    >>I know how to help and no, it isn't. However, have you ever heard of the
    >>saying, "Don't burn your bridges"?
    >>
    >> Either way........
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    >> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >>> Is this your reply when you don't know how to help?
    >>> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Roxio Easy DVD&CD Creator Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48 formats the DVD-RAM
    successfully, but other computers should have Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48
    installed to use the DVD-RAM, which is inconvenient.
    LG, producer of my DVD-RAM drive, insists that this is Windows XP problem
    only.
    Windows XP SP1 had the same problem also.
    > Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    >> An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when
    >> Windows XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the
    >> format is "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?
    >

    > Shenan wrote:
    >> I do not recall Windows XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2 supporting natively
    >> formatting
    >> or burning DVD-R/RW, +R/RW, DL or RAM.. What application are you
    >> using to format the DVD again?
    >
    > Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283588
    >
    > Okay, although the article is sparse in actual information, not actually
    > saying it formats DVD-RAM as DVD-RAM discs, just that it can read/write to
    > them, I have no doubt that if you are complaining now - possibly it worked
    > before?
    >
    > Which of the two drives they list as being compatable with Windows XP do
    > you
    > have?
    > Did this work before?
    > (possibly before SP2? If so, have you tried uninstalling SP2 and trying
    > again?)
    > Does it work with any third party software you have/can download?
    > (You might try a trial version of NERO, just to be sure this is a Windows
    > issue and not a hardware one.)
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:

    > Roxio Easy DVD&CD Creator Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48 formats the DVD-RAM
    > successfully, but other computers should have Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48
    > installed to use the DVD-RAM, which is inconvenient.
    > LG, producer of my DVD-RAM drive, insists that this is Windows XP
    > problem only.
    > Windows XP SP1 had the same problem also.

    Here's the relevant bit out of all the stuff that you've written:

    "other computers should have Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48 installed to use the
    DVD-RAM, which is inconvenient"

    You have to have the program installed on the other computers. This is
    the way it works. You would need this whether you were running Win9x/ME
    or Win2k, or WinXP. If you don't want to do this, then don't use that
    program. End of story.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    > Roxio Easy DVD&CD Creator Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48 formats the DVD-RAM
    > successfully, but other computers should have Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48
    > installed to use the DVD-RAM, which is inconvenient.
    > LG, producer of my DVD-RAM drive, insists that this is Windows XP
    > problem only.
    > Windows XP SP1 had the same problem also.

    Okay - you didn't really answer one of my questions.

    Which of the two drives they list as being compatable with Windows
    XP do you have?
    (from the article you gave: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283588)

    If your drive is not one of those, I cannot say for sure it is supported,
    strictly from the information I can locate.

    Now reading the article you gave next:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165

    I see that
    "This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2."

    Have you checked the versions of the files listed in the article above as
    well as contacted Microsoft to report this problem and get the specific
    hotfix they mention in the article?

    ------
    To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
    Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product
    Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit
    the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS
    ------

    As the article clearly was updated after the release of SP2 and just days
    before you posted your query, on 8/25/2004. Perhaps you should contact
    Microsoft as the article stated and see about getting the hotfix *if* the
    versions of the listed files in the article do not match.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Okay - you didn't really answer one of my questions.
    >
    > Which of the two drives they list as being compatable with Windows
    > XP do you have?
    > (from the article you gave: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283588)
    >
    > If your drive is not one of those, I cannot say for sure it is
    > supported, strictly from the information I can locate.
    >
    > Now reading the article you gave next:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165
    >
    > I see that
    > "This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows XP Service
    > Pack 2."
    >
    > Have you checked the versions of the files listed in the article
    > above as well as contacted Microsoft to report this problem and get
    > the specific hotfix they mention in the article?
    >
    > ------
    > To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
    > Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft
    > Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support
    > costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS
    > ------
    >
    > As the article clearly was updated after the release of SP2 and just
    > days before you posted your query, on 8/25/2004. Perhaps you should
    > contact Microsoft as the article stated and see about getting the
    > hotfix *if* the versions of the listed files in the article do not
    > match.

    My bad - you did say which drive you had.. One made by LG, which is not one
    of the two drives listed as supported.

    Although the manufacturer of your drive may "insist" it is a Windows XP
    problem, have they ever said it works on their Windows XP system without
    third party software of any sort or special drivers which they could provide
    you?

    Just because two other drives (those listed in the original article you
    listed above) work somewhat natively in Windows XP, do not assume your drive
    which has similar functionality will. As far as it being a "Windows XP
    Problem Only", that statement seems a bit skewed. If you put that drive in
    a Linux, Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000 or other OS system (other than Windows XP)
    are you saying those OS's support formatting and writing to this DVD RAM
    drive natively?

    The only other thing I would like to point out is your statement that with
    Roxio Easy DVD&CD Creator Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48 you can format the DVD-RAM
    just fine, but that the other computers you bring it to must have Roxio Easy
    DVD&CD Creator Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48 in order to format it on them as well -
    how many computers/friends/family members do you have with DVD-RAM drives?
    Any special reason you chose to populate your computing surroundings with
    DVD-RAM drives instead of DVD+R/RW/-R/RW/DL? The problem with choosing any
    of the DVD formats over the more common and STANDARDIZED CD formats (-R/RW)
    is that obviously people cannot decide on a standard for the DVDs yet. CDs
    converged in a single path - so there is now (really) only CD-R/RW drives
    available (at one point, you could get -R or -RW drives for CDs, but that
    went away quickly.) Unfortunately for you and other "early adopters" who
    should be called "long term waiters" now - no such standar exists for DVDs,
    so you never know who is going to have what drive, what to support, etc.

    In any case, my suggestion is the same - if you have contacted LG and they
    told you that the DVD-RAM formatting is allowed on their drives in Windows
    XP SP2 without any special drivers/third party applications and your
    firmware on the drive is the same as theirs - and you have checked the
    versions of the files given in that article and yours are not the same -
    then contact Microsoft and request the patch.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Roxio Easy DVD&CD Creator Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48 formats the DVD-RAM
    successfully, but other computers should have Drag-to-disk 6.1.1.48
    installed to use the DVD-RAM, which is inconvenient.
    LG, producer of my DVD-RAM drive, insists that this is Windows XP problem
    only.
    Windows XP SP1 had the same problem also
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165
    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    >> An error "Windows was unable to complete the format" appears when
    >> Windows XP Pro SP2 formats a DVD-RAM. The error appears when the
    >> format is "Quick" and Full. How to format the DVD-RAM successfully?
    >

    > Shenan wrote:
    >> I do not recall Windows XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2 supporting natively
    >> formatting
    >> or burning DVD-R/RW, +R/RW, DL or RAM.. What application are you
    >> using to format the DVD again?
    >
    > Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283588
    >
    > Okay, although the article is sparse in actual information, not actually
    > saying it formats DVD-RAM as DVD-RAM discs, just that it can read/write to
    > them, I have no doubt that if you are complaining now - possibly it worked
    > before?
    >
    > Which of the two drives they list as being compatable with Windows XP do
    > you
    > have?
    > Did this work before?
    > (possibly before SP2? If so, have you tried uninstalling SP2 and trying
    > again?)
    > Does it work with any third party software you have/can download?
    > (You might try a trial version of NERO, just to be sure this is a Windows
    > issue and not a hardware one.)
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks, Rock. Useful info.

    "Rock" <rock@comcast.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    >> I think that SP2 stopped my CD (I know the OP was DVD) writing
    >> software from working. I uninstalled SP2 and it worked again.
    >> Reinstalled SP2 and its broken again.
    >> Third party packet writing software called DLA
    >>
    >> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283588
    >>> "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message

    > You need to see if the vendor has an update patch for SP2. Nero
    > needed one.

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Pat wrote:

    > Thanks, Rock. Useful info.
    >
    > "Rock" <rock@comcast.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Pat wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think that SP2 stopped my CD (I know the OP was DVD) writing
    >>> software from working. I uninstalled SP2 and it worked again.
    >>> Reinstalled SP2 and its broken again.
    >>> Third party packet writing software called DLA
    >>>
    >>> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message

    >> You need to see if the vendor has an update patch for SP2. Nero
    >> needed one.

    You're welcome.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    LG replied that the error is Windows XP, not LG drive, problem only.
    "Wallace Hill" <w.hill@awesomenet.net> wrote in message
    > Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    >> There is nothing about DVD-RAM and "Windows was unable to complete the
    >> format" in Google.
    >> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>So, search for yourself!
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>
    >>>Regards:
    >>>
    >>>Richard Urban
    >>>

    >>>aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >>>

    >>>"Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message

    > Place the search criteria as a quote "dvd-ram" The results of my search
    > about dvd-ram is supported by the OEM, however
    > XP supports two types DVD-RAM drives Hitachi GF-2000 and Toshiba SD-W2002
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283588
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    > LG replied that the error is Windows XP, not LG drive, problem only.

    Yes - it is called passing the blame to someone else.

    Have they outright told you that it works in Windows XP withot any third
    party software?

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    What do you mean?
    > You need to soften your edges. Hope all goes well for you.
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> No. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165 does not apply.
    >>
    >> "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Does this apply:
    >>>
    >>> The formatting operation is unsuccessful when you try to format a
    >>> DVD-RAM disc as FAT32 after you use InCD 4 :
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836165
    >>>
    >>> If not:
    >>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Windows+was+unable+to+complete+the+format&btnG=Google+Search
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> All the Best,
    >>> Kelly
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >>> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>>
    >>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>>
    >>> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I'm not saying Linux, Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000 or other OS system (other than
    Windows XP) support formatting and writing to a DVD RAM drive natively, but
    the problem is of Windows XP software, not LG hardware.
> [...]
    > CDs
    > converged in a single path - so there is now (really) only CD-R/RW drives
    > available (at one point, you could get -R or -RW drives for CDs, but that
    > went away quickly.) Unfortunately for you and other "early adopters" who
    > should be called "long term waiters" now - no such standar exists for
    > DVDs,
    > so you never know who is going to have what drive, what to support, etc.
    >
    > In any case, my suggestion is the same - if you have contacted LG and they
    > told you that the DVD-RAM formatting is allowed on their drives in Windows
    > XP SP2 without any special drivers/third party applications and your
    > firmware on the drive is the same as theirs - and you have checked the
    > versions of the files given in that article and yours are not the same -
    > then contact Microsoft and request the patch.

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Packet writing to a DVD+or-RW is just not suited for any valuable
    information, because packet writing to a DVD+or-RW does not imply any
    writing verification. DVD-RAM has several writing verification techniques.
    DVD-RAM longevity is 100 times longer also. I lost much valuable information
    by packet writing to DVD+or-RWs.
> [...]
    > CDs
    > converged in a single path - so there is now (really) only CD-R/RW drives
    > available (at one point, you could get -R or -RW drives for CDs, but that
    > went away quickly.) Unfortunately for you and other "early adopters" who
    > should be called "long term waiters" now - no such standar exists for
    > DVDs,
    > so you never know who is going to have what drive, what to support, etc.
    >
    > In any case, my suggestion is the same - if you have contacted LG and they
    > told you that the DVD-RAM formatting is allowed on their drives in Windows
    > XP SP2 without any special drivers/third party applications and your
    > firmware on the drive is the same as theirs - and you have checked the
    > versions of the files given in that article and yours are not the same -
    > then contact Microsoft and request the patch.

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Packet writing to a DVD+or-RW just does not suit for any valuable
> [...]
    >>
    >> In any case, my suggestion is the same - if you have contacted LG and
    >> they
    >> told you that the DVD-RAM formatting is allowed on their drives in
    >> Windows
    >> XP SP2 without any special drivers/third party applications and your
    >> firmware on the drive is the same as theirs - and you have checked the
    >> versions of the files given in that article and yours are not the same -
    >> then contact Microsoft and request the patch.
    >>
    >> --
    >> <- Shenan ->
    >> --
    >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    People just do not decide on a standard for a random DVD writing, because
    most people just do not use DVDs for a random DVD writing yet. They have
    only one choice for random DVD writing - DVD-RAM, DVD-or+RW do not suit at
    all.
> [...]
    > CDs
    > converged in a single path - so there is now (really) only CD-R/RW drives
    > available (at one point, you could get -R or -RW drives for CDs, but that
    > went away quickly.) Unfortunately for you and other "early adopters" who
    > should be called "long term waiters" now - no such standar exists for
    > DVDs,
    > so you never know who is going to have what drive, what to support, etc.
    >
    > In any case, my suggestion is the same - if you have contacted LG and they
    > told you that the DVD-RAM formatting is allowed on their drives in Windows
    > XP SP2 without any special drivers/third party applications and your
    > firmware on the drive is the same as theirs - and you have checked the
    > versions of the files given in that article and yours are not the same -
    > then contact Microsoft and request the patch.

  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys is version 5.1.2600.2180, created
    7/19/2002 20:53, modified 8/3/2004 19:59 and is different than in the
    hotfix.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys is version 5.1.2600.2180, created
    7/19/2002 20:53, modified 8/3/2004 20:14 and is different than in the
    hotfix. The file versions are newer.
> [...]
    >
    > Have you checked the versions of the files listed in the article above as
    > well as contacted Microsoft to report this problem and get the specific
    > hotfix they mention in the article?
    >
    > ------
    > To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
    > Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product
    > Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit
    > the following Microsoft Web site:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS
    > ------
    >
    > As the article clearly was updated after the release of SP2 and just days
    > before you posted your query, on 8/25/2004. Perhaps you should contact
    > Microsoft as the article stated and see about getting the hotfix *if* the
    > versions of the listed files in the article do not match.

  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Dmitriy Kopnichev wrote:
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys is version 5.1.2600.2180,
    > created 7/19/2002 20:53, modified 8/3/2004 19:59 and is different
    > than in the hotfix.
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys is version 5.1.2600.2180,
    > created 7/19/2002 20:53, modified 8/3/2004 20:14 and is different
    > than in the hotfix. The file versions are newer.

    Dimitriy,

    How about putting all your answers in a single response next time?

    --
    <- Shenan ->
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hello
    The patch does not install, it writes that a newer update (SP2) is
    installed. Microsoft support can not suggest anything yet.

DVD RAM Microsoft Format Windows XP