MS-DOS

September 3, 2004 10:37:40 AM

hi im having trouble with a couple of things on my pc. im
am trying to access a cd for my printer to repair it and
i come up with a message saying
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not
sutable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows
applications. choose 'close' to terminate the
application." there is also an ignore button, and if i
click on this it just closes it. please can anybody tell
me what to do im struggling with ideas.
thank you
jase

More about : dos

September 3, 2004 11:32:12 PM

Try opening DOS first by
Start>Run>Type: command

Tony

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 11:42:23 AM

XP does not support true DOS. That is a change from win95, 98, ME. XP
offers a "command prompt" that looks and feels like DOS, bit not all DOS
programs will work therein. Sometimes you can trick a program into working
by using the XP compatiblity options on that program. But, the lowest level
is win95, not win31 or DOS.

Alternatively, you can always boot the PC with a DOS bootdisk, which will be
real DOS. several fine bootdisks are available for free at
www.bootdisk.com.

"Jase" <Jase_hull@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi im having trouble with a couple of things on my pc. im
> am trying to access a cd for my printer to repair it and
> i come up with a message saying
> "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not
> sutable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows
> applications. choose 'close' to terminate the
> application." there is also an ignore button, and if i
> click on this it just closes it. please can anybody tell
> me what to do im struggling with ideas.
> thank you
> jase
September 4, 2004 8:33:10 PM

Just contact the tech support of your printer manufacturer.
You've paid for the support, why not to use it.

"Jase" <Jase_hull@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:580401c491bb$2ea9d350$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> hi im having trouble with a couple of things on my pc. im
> am trying to access a cd for my printer to repair it and
> i come up with a message saying
> "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not
> sutable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows
> applications. choose 'close' to terminate the
> application." there is also an ignore button, and if i
> click on this it just closes it. please can anybody tell
> me what to do im struggling with ideas.
> thank you
> jase
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 1:58:05 AM

That doesn't open up DOS. DOS does not exist in any way, shape for
form in XP. All you are doing is opening up a 16 bit command line
interface.

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:32:12 -0700, "Tony"
>Try opening DOS first by
>Start>Run>Type: command
>
>Tony

November 28, 2004 8:15:02 AM

I have noticed that the "Autoexec.nt" file is deleted from the "System32"
directory when I close down Windows. I have a copy in the "Repair" directory
and if I copy this file the problem is corrected. I do not know how to stop
this file being deleted or to get it to be copied automatically when I start
windows but maybe someone else does

I hope this helps

LeeG

"Jase" wrote:

> hi im having trouble with a couple of things on my pc. im
> am trying to access a cd for my printer to repair it and
> i come up with a message saying
> "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not
> sutable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows
> applications. choose 'close' to terminate the
> application." there is also an ignore button, and if i
> click on this it just closes it. please can anybody tell
> me what to do im struggling with ideas.
> thank you
> jase

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 3:58:22 PM

Remove the malware that is causing this to happen.

Spybot S&D
and
Ad-Aware SE are a couple of good free programs to D/L and install to
clean up your system.

www.google.com for the links to them.

LeeG wrote:

> I have noticed that the "Autoexec.nt" file is deleted from the "System32"
> directory when I close down Windows. I have a copy in the "Repair" directory
> and if I copy this file the problem is corrected. I do not know how to stop
> this file being deleted or to get it to be copied automatically when I start
> windows but maybe someone else does
>
> I hope this helps
>
> LeeG
>
> "Jase" wrote:
>

>>hi im having trouble with a couple of things on my pc. im
>>am trying to access a cd for my printer to repair it and
>>i come up with a message saying
>> "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not
>>sutable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows
>>applications. choose 'close' to terminate the
>>application." there is also an ignore button, and if i
>>click on this it just closes it. please can anybody tell
>>me what to do im struggling with ideas.
>>thank you
>>jase

November 30, 2004 3:55:03 PM

Hi Jase

You might find that the file "autoexec.nt" is missing from your
%system%\SYSTEM32 directory. You hopefully have a copy of this file in your
%system%\repair directory. Copy this file to the system32 directory and then
change the file to read only. It could be that the file is deleted when you
exit windows due to Malware and making it read only will prevent this from
happening. If you do not have this file look on the Microsoft support
website "http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767" for instructions on how
to retreive the file from your XP installation disc.

I hope this helps

!