Device driver not updated

Mike

Splendid

I downloaded from Dell the latest Win XP drivers for my laptop's ATI Radeon
9700 video card, which supposedly fix a crash problem when playing Doom3. I
launched the setup and apparently the drivers were installed. However, when
I opened Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager and I checked
the properties of the card, specifically the drivers tab, the date shown was
the original one, i.e. 2001 and not August 2004. Does that mean the drivers
were not properly updated ? If this is the case, was is the correct
procedure to properly install the new ones, overriding the old ones ?
Thanks in advance.

Mike

I would like to make an alternate suggestion. If you plan on playing
Doom 3, there are much better drivers available for your video card. Go
to www.omegadrivers.net and download their ATI drivers. These drivers
are simply modified (from ATI's default settings) for quality and
performance. They are very reputable and install on ALL ATI cards
including laptop video cards (which is a pain to find if you own one).

What makes this driver release unique, though it is not WHQL Certified,
it has the OpenGL driver from the Catalyst 4.9 Beta drivers released by
ATI specifically for Doom 3. It contains the official Catalyst 4.8
drivers from ATI, with the maker's settings instead of default settings,
and uses the special OpenGL driver. I think you will really like these
drivers ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Mike wrote:
> I downloaded from Dell the latest Win XP drivers for my laptop's ATI Radeon
> 9700 video card, which supposedly fix a crash problem when playing Doom3. I
> launched the setup and apparently the drivers were installed. However, when
> I opened Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager and I checked
> the properties of the card, specifically the drivers tab, the date shown was
> the original one, i.e. 2001 and not August 2004. Does that mean the drivers
> were not properly updated ? If this is the case, was is the correct
> procedure to properly install the new ones, overriding the old ones ?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

I did download the Omega drivers a couple of weeks ago and the game kept on
crashing. The latest drivers from Dell ( that allegedly fix the problem,
specifically for Doom 3 ) allow me to play for about an hour before the game
stops responding ( overheating issue ?? ).
So, what do I do ?

Mike

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>I would like to make an alternate suggestion. If you plan on playing Doom
>3, there are much better drivers available for your video card. Go to
>www.omegadrivers.net and download their ATI drivers. These drivers are
>simply modified (from ATI's default settings) for quality and performance.
>They are very reputable and install on ALL ATI cards including laptop video
>cards (which is a pain to find if you own one).
>
> What makes this driver release unique, though it is not WHQL Certified, it
> has the OpenGL driver from the Catalyst 4.9 Beta drivers released by ATI
> specifically for Doom 3. It contains the official Catalyst 4.8 drivers
> from ATI, with the maker's settings instead of default settings, and uses
> the special OpenGL driver. I think you will really like these drivers ;)
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Mike wrote:
>> I downloaded from Dell the latest Win XP drivers for my laptop's ATI
>> Radeon 9700 video card, which supposedly fix a crash problem when playing
>> Doom3. I launched the setup and apparently the drivers were installed.
>> However, when I opened Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager
>> and I checked the properties of the card, specifically the drivers tab,
>> the date shown was the original one, i.e. 2001 and not August 2004. Does
>> that mean the drivers were not properly updated ? If this is the case,
>> was is the correct procedure to properly install the new ones, overriding
>> the old ones ?
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Mike

More fans, clean the dust out of the case.