Methods to keep PC cool

I currently have three HDs in my PC and I'm noticing,
especially during this hot summer, that my PC's cooling
fan is unable to supply enough cool air. The fan is
working properly, but it fails to satisfy the amount of
heat ommitted from the three drives. Consequently, my PC
will freeze up once in a while if I leave it on for long
periods of time. Is there any other way to keep my PC
cooler than having to point a fan directly at it?

Thanks in advance, Binya.

One word..
FANS

Lots of them.
I am currently running mine with 7 case fans and one
processor fan.
Sure a little noisy, but I feel the need for speed !
And I have gotten use to it. Just buy the quietest fans
you can find...

Panaflow is synonymous with queit fans. I would highly recommand just
about anything from Panaflow. Just be sure to check the dB ratings.

----
Nathan McNulty

Spidious wrote:
> One word..
> FANS
>
> Lots of them.
> I am currently running mine with 7 case fans and one
> processor fan.
> Sure a little noisy, but I feel the need for speed !
> And I have gotten use to it. Just buy the quietest fans
> you can find...

bar

Just to see what happens if you take all this on board and follow every last
word of advice: you can end up with a PC that is the 'coolest ever. Look at
this article.

http://bit-tech.net/article/135/

"Spidious" wrote:

> One word..
> FANS
>
> Lots of them.
> I am currently running mine with 7 case fans and one
> processor fan.
> Sure a little noisy, but I feel the need for speed !
> And I have gotten use to it. Just buy the quietest fans
> you can find...

dl

Fit more fan(s), clean any filters,constricted airflow?, buy a more
efficient case?
Better cases have two,at least, or more fans.

"Binya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I currently have three HDs in my PC and I'm noticing,
> especially during this hot summer, that my PC's cooling
> fan is unable to supply enough cool air. The fan is
> working properly, but it fails to satisfy the amount of
> heat ommitted from the three drives. Consequently, my PC
> will freeze up once in a while if I leave it on for long
> periods of time. Is there any other way to keep my PC
> cooler than having to point a fan directly at it?
>
> Thanks in advance, Binya.

Dry ice, a cardboard box, a house fan and some clothes dryer
ducting. Drop the air to about minus 40 C and the computer
will be cool. Water cooling is very good but just adding
some fans to move more air also works. Be sure the air flow
is reaching all areas inside the case. A clear sheet of
plastic to close the case and some testing smoke will let
you see the air-flow.

"Binya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5eb701c4920d$c8c3c5c0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
|I currently have three HDs in my PC and I'm noticing,
| especially during this hot summer, that my PC's cooling
| fan is unable to supply enough cool air. The fan is
| working properly, but it fails to satisfy the amount of
| heat ommitted from the three drives. Consequently, my PC
| will freeze up once in a while if I leave it on for long
| periods of time. Is there any other way to keep my PC
| cooler than having to point a fan directly at it?
|
| Thanks in advance, Binya.

Tim

If you are desparate then take the side off the computer until you have a
better solution.
- Tim

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:29:38 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote:

>If you are desparate then take the side off the computer until you have a
>better solution.
>- Tim

I use MBM5 to monitor temperatures etc & when I took the side off my
"case temperature" began to rise - anyone any idea why this might be?
(and is it significant?)

John Latter

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

The only thing I can suggest is spacing the drives, reconfigure the fans
or add more fans. Make sure you are using the optimal airflow and that
the hard drives are having the air around them moved and not stationary.

The heat limitation of current PC's are drawing near. I can't wait
until they fully roll out the new BTX form factor.

----
Nathan McNulty

John Latter wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:29:38 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote:
>

>>If you are desparate then take the side off the computer until you have a
>>better solution.
>>- Tim
>

> I use MBM5 to monitor temperatures etc & when I took the side off my
> "case temperature" began to rise - anyone any idea why this might be?
> (and is it significant?)
>
> John Latter
>

>>"Binya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I currently have three HDs in my PC and I'm noticing,
>>>especially during this hot summer, that my PC's cooling
>>>fan is unable to supply enough cool air. The fan is
>>>working properly, but it fails to satisfy the amount of
>>>heat ommitted from the three drives. Consequently, my PC
>>>will freeze up once in a while if I leave it on for long
>>>periods of time. Is there any other way to keep my PC
>>>cooler than having to point a fan directly at it?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance, Binya.

The air flow has to be directed, with the case open the air
does not circulate properly.

wrote:

| >If you are desparate then take the side off the computer
until you have a
| >better solution.
| >- Tim
|
| I use MBM5 to monitor temperatures etc & when I took the
side off my
| "case temperature" began to rise - anyone any idea why
this might be?
| (and is it significant?)
|
| John Latter
|

| >"Binya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| >>I currently have three HDs in my PC and I'm noticing,
| >> especially during this hot summer, that my PC's cooling
| >> fan is unable to supply enough cool air. The fan is
| >> working properly, but it fails to satisfy the amount of
| >> heat ommitted from the three drives. Consequently, my
PC
| >> will freeze up once in a while if I leave it on for
long
| >> periods of time. Is there any other way to keep my PC
| >> cooler than having to point a fan directly at it?
| >>
| >> Thanks in advance, Binya.
| >

| --
|
| John Latter
|
| Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an
extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations
to the Baldwin Effect.
| http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
|
| 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
| http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 01:55:27 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
<p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

>The air flow has to be directed, with the case open the air
>does not circulate properly.
That makes sense - guess if the case temp doesn't 'overtake' the cpu
one then I'll be ok!