P4C800_E Deluxe USB Controller

I am having compatability problems with this MB and a SIIG
USB/Firewire/Network Combo Card. The Device funtions perfectly when tried
on my old P2B-F but on this MB it cannot be seen by the Device Manager but
does cause a "PCI Bridge to PCI" (I think) error. Can someone reccomend a
compatable card and also, it it just the onboard USB controller that causes
the Southbridge meltdown or the Firewire too? What about the onboard NIC,
is that okay to use? Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about p4c800_e deluxe controller

    In article <NTOqe.3109$jX6.2900@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    "peterf" <peterf@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote:

    > I am having compatability problems with this MB and a SIIG
    > USB/Firewire/Network Combo Card. The Device funtions perfectly when tried
    > on my old P2B-F but on this MB it cannot be seen by the Device Manager but
    > does cause a "PCI Bridge to PCI" (I think) error. Can someone reccomend a
    > compatable card and also, it it just the onboard USB controller that causes
    > the Southbridge meltdown or the Firewire too? What about the onboard NIC,
    > is that okay to use? Thanks

    Based on the reports to date, only the USB causes the problem. The
    burn marks on the Southbridge, are near where the USB pad drivers
    are located, so the location of the burn marks is showing the source
    of the failure. For any interfaces that actually terminate on other
    chips, then they aren't even near the Southbridge, electrically
    speaking. You only need to protect USB.

    The Siig card does have a PCI bridge chip on it. Hint corp was
    bought by Plxtech (a company that also makes bridges), so don't
    expect to find any support or other info. The archived copy of
    this site looks pretty crude:

    http://web.archive.org/web/20011029194752/hintcorp.com/product.htm

    The PCI database reports these as the chips that Hint made.
    I don't know the first thing about bridges and how BIOS are
    supposed to handle them (in terms of assigning resources for
    PNP) so cannot guess at why the card won't work on your
    new motherboard.

    http://www.pcidatabase.com/reports.php?type=tab-delimeted

    3388 Hint Corp.
    0020 HB2/HB6 Universal PCI-PCI Bridge (transparent mode)
    0021 HB1/1-SE/HB6 Universal PCI-to-PCI Bridge (non-transparent mode)
    0022 HB4 PCI-to-PCI Bridge
    0028 HB8 Dual Mode PCI-X-to-PCI-X Bridge (transparent mode)
    0029 HB8 Dual Mode PCI-X-to-PCI-X Bridge (non-transparent mode)
    0030 HB7 Transparent PCI-X-to-PCI-X Bridge
    0031 PCI 6156 Synch 32-Bit, 33 MHz PCI-to-PCI Bridge for Video Capture
    Applications
    8011 CPU to PCI Bridge
    8012 PCI to ISA Bridge
    8013 EIDE Controller

    Paul

    Thanks Paul,
    I have narrowed it down to an incompatability with the AGP card. The reason
    why it works on the P2B is because I through in an old PCI video card for
    testing and when I place that card in this P4C the combo card works fine.
    Also, when I uninstall the 82875P AGP Controller and before re-booting, the
    combo card is seen and working with the AGP card in place. Thank you also
    for the rundown on the Southbridge problems. This makes the need for a
    combo card unnessary and thus should make life much easier for my PCI
    Bridge.

    > In article <NTOqe.3109$jX6.2900@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    > "peterf" <peterf@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I am having compatability problems with this MB and a SIIG
    > > USB/Firewire/Network Combo Card. The Device funtions perfectly when
    tried
    > > on my old P2B-F but on this MB it cannot be seen by the Device Manager
    but
    > > does cause a "PCI Bridge to PCI" (I think) error. Can someone reccomend
    > > compatable card and also, it it just the onboard USB controller that
    causes
    > > the Southbridge meltdown or the Firewire too? What about the onboard
    NIC,
    > > is that okay to use? Thanks
    >
    > Based on the reports to date, only the USB causes the problem. The
    > burn marks on the Southbridge, are near where the USB pad drivers
    > are located, so the location of the burn marks is showing the source
    > of the failure. For any interfaces that actually terminate on other
    > chips, then they aren't even near the Southbridge, electrically
    > speaking. You only need to protect USB.
    >
    > The Siig card does have a PCI bridge chip on it. Hint corp was
    > bought by Plxtech (a company that also makes bridges), so don't
    > expect to find any support or other info. The archived copy of
    > this site looks pretty crude:
    >
    > http://web.archive.org/web/20011029194752/hintcorp.com/product.htm
    >
    > The PCI database reports these as the chips that Hint made.
    > I don't know the first thing about bridges and how BIOS are
    > supposed to handle them (in terms of assigning resources for
    > PNP) so cannot guess at why the card won't work on your
    > new motherboard.
    >
    > http://www.pcidatabase.com/reports.php?type=tab-delimeted
    >
    > 3388 Hint Corp.
    > 0020 HB2/HB6 Universal PCI-PCI Bridge (transparent mode)
    > 0021 HB1/1-SE/HB6 Universal PCI-to-PCI Bridge (non-transparent mode)
    > 0022 HB4 PCI-to-PCI Bridge
    > 0028 HB8 Dual Mode PCI-X-to-PCI-X Bridge (transparent mode)
    > 0029 HB8 Dual Mode PCI-X-to-PCI-X Bridge (non-transparent mode)
    > 0030 HB7 Transparent PCI-X-to-PCI-X Bridge
    > 0031 PCI 6156 Synch 32-Bit, 33 MHz PCI-to-PCI Bridge for Video Capture
    > Applications
    > 8011 CPU to PCI Bridge
    > 8012 PCI to ISA Bridge
    > 8013 EIDE Controller
    >
    > Paul

Asus Controller Firewire USB Motherboards