P4C800_E Deluxe USB Controller

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 12, 2005 8:30:37 AM

I am having compatability problems with this MB and a SIIG
USB/Firewire/Network Combo Card. The Device funtions perfectly when tried
on my old P2B-F but on this MB it cannot be seen by the Device Manager but
does cause a "PCI Bridge to PCI" (I think) error. Can someone reccomend a
compatable card and also, it it just the onboard USB controller that causes
the Southbridge meltdown or the Firewire too? What about the onboard NIC,
is that okay to use? Thanks
June 12, 2005 9:31:42 PM

In article <NTOqe.3109$jX6.2900@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"peterf" <peterf@nospam.mindspring.com> wrote:

> I am having compatability problems with this MB and a SIIG
> USB/Firewire/Network Combo Card. The Device funtions perfectly when tried
> on my old P2B-F but on this MB it cannot be seen by the Device Manager but
> does cause a "PCI Bridge to PCI" (I think) error. Can someone reccomend a
> compatable card and also, it it just the onboard USB controller that causes
> the Southbridge meltdown or the Firewire too? What about the onboard NIC,
> is that okay to use? Thanks

Based on the reports to date, only the USB causes the problem. The
burn marks on the Southbridge, are near where the USB pad drivers
are located, so the location of the burn marks is showing the source
of the failure. For any interfaces that actually terminate on other
chips, then they aren't even near the Southbridge, electrically
speaking. You only need to protect USB.

The Siig card does have a PCI bridge chip on it. Hint corp was
bought by Plxtech (a company that also makes bridges), so don't
expect to find any support or other info. The archived copy of
this site looks pretty crude:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011029194752/hintcorp.com/...

The PCI database reports these as the chips that Hint made.
I don't know the first thing about bridges and how BIOS are
supposed to handle them (in terms of assigning resources for
PNP) so cannot guess at why the card won't work on your
new motherboard.

http://www.pcidatabase.com/reports.php?type=tab-delimet...

3388 Hint Corp.
0020 HB2/HB6 Universal PCI-PCI Bridge (transparent mode)
0021 HB1/1-SE/HB6 Universal PCI-to-PCI Bridge (non-transparent mode)
0022 HB4 PCI-to-PCI Bridge
0028 HB8 Dual Mode PCI-X-to-PCI-X Bridge (transparent mode)
0029 HB8 Dual Mode PCI-X-to-PCI-X Bridge (non-transparent mode)
0030 HB7 Transparent PCI-X-to-PCI-X Bridge
0031 PCI 6156 Synch 32-Bit, 33 MHz PCI-to-PCI Bridge for Video Capture
Applications
8011 CPU to PCI Bridge
8012 PCI to ISA Bridge
8013 EIDE Controller

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2005 7:01:50 AM

Thanks Paul,
I have narrowed it down to an incompatability with the AGP card. The reason
why it works on the P2B is because I through in an old PCI video card for
testing and when I place that card in this P4C the combo card works fine.
Also, when I uninstall the 82875P AGP Controller and before re-booting, the
combo card is seen and working with the AGP card in place. Thank you also
for the rundown on the Southbridge problems. This makes the need for a
combo card unnessary and thus should make life much easier for my PCI
Bridge.

!