PIIIDR3 freezes with two CPUs

Hi --

I have a Supermicro PIIIDR3 with two Slot1 CPUs; I had used one for
several years without any problems in another system, and the other
one is a recent eBay acquisition (used pull-out, sworn to be working).
From what I can tell, the CPUs are matched, as only the long serial
number and manufacturing location (second line in the identification
stamp) differ. I have a Matrox G400 DualHead, SB Live! Platinum,
LS120 and ZIP100 on one IDE channel, a CD-RW on the other, a DVD on
SCSI ULTRA, and a U-160 HD on SCSI-160 LVD. All of these peripherals
(less the second CPU) worked fine in my previous system using an ASUS
mobo.

I install XP from the CD, into a blank partition. The install takes
30-40 minutes, and everything seems fine. Then, once everything is
installed and the system has started fully for the first time, the
machine locks (freezes). This always happens within the first 5-10
minutes of running (much earlier than the entire install takes), and
can happen while I am doing something, as well as when the machine is
just left to itself after a reset. It happens on a cold machine
(first boot of the day), as well as after quite a few reboots and
freezes. The only way to recover is by doing a hardware reset.

Why is the installation program happy with the syetem, but the fully
installed OS is not? Are both CPUs only used once everything is
installed? Or is it something else about my system, other than CPU?

Thanks!

--Marcin

PS. Answers to the NG only please, due to spam all e-mails will be
rejected.

Well there could be several issues. You must be using XP
Pro. The CPU's and the BIOS must be compatible with the
mobo. The eBay CPU may be junk because a sworn statement
isn't worth much.
Have you tried the CPUs one at a time?

"Marcin Struzak" <marcin.s@usa.net> wrote in message
| Hi --
|
| I have a Supermicro PIIIDR3 with two Slot1 CPUs; I had
used one for
| several years without any problems in another system, and
the other
| one is a recent eBay acquisition (used pull-out, sworn to
be working).
| From what I can tell, the CPUs are matched, as only the
long serial

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message news:<OYYbotkkEHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Well there could be several issues. You must be using XP
> Pro. The CPU's and the BIOS must be compatible with the
> mobo. The eBay CPU may be junk because a sworn statement
> isn't worth much.
> Have you tried the CPUs one at a time?

No, that's what Supermicro's tech support suggested too. I had to
order the continuity module for the empty CPU slot when running in a
single-CPU configuration, and am waiting for it to arrive. Do I need
to reinstall XP for single-CPU operation, or will the dual-CPU HAL
handle it ok?

--Marcin

I believe Windows should automatically update the HAL to Uniprocessor
instead of Multiprocessor. This is the way it functions on my computer
when I enable/disable HyperThreading which Windows sees in a similar way
to your system.

----
Nathan McNulty

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> I believe Windows should automatically update the HAL to Uniprocessor
> instead of Multiprocessor. This is the way it functions on my computer
> when I enable/disable HyperThreading which Windows sees in a similar way
> to your system.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty

Nathan-

Are you SURE about this?

This sounds like rather a drastic thing for the OS
to do without manual intervention...

Don't forget, a multiprocessor HAL will run a single
processor *just fine*, you won't even notice that's what's
going on unless you query DM and see.

If you originally installed XP with either a SMP motherboard
with multiple physical processors or one that supports HT processors,
the MP HAL will get installed, and if you remove a single processor
on a dual-physical processor system, things will churn along just fine,
but slower ;-)

> Marcin Struzak wrote:
> > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
> >
> >>Well there could be several issues. You must be using XP
> >>Pro. The CPU's and the BIOS must be compatible with the
> >>mobo. The eBay CPU may be junk because a sworn statement
> >>isn't worth much.
> >>Have you tried the CPUs one at a time?
> >

> > No, that's what Supermicro's tech support suggested too. I had to
> > order the continuity module for the empty CPU slot when running in a
> > single-CPU configuration, and am waiting for it to arrive. Do I need
> > to reinstall XP for single-CPU operation, or will the dual-CPU HAL
> > handle it ok?
> >
> > --Marcin

I am not SURE about that. That is why I said I believe and not Windows
WILL... I know that when I install XP with HyperThreading disabled and
then enable it later on, it simply updates itself. It starts off saying
a Uniprocessor system and then shows up as a Multiprocessor system after
enabling HT. I am not sure if Windows can handle physical processors
the same way as it does HT though.

----
Nathan McNulty

marcin.s@usa.net (Marcin Struzak) wrote in message news:<79eef1a1.0409041017.682b7608@posting.google.com>...
> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message news:<OYYbotkkEHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> > Well there could be several issues. You must be using XP
> > Pro. The CPU's and the BIOS must be compatible with the
> > mobo. The eBay CPU may be junk because a sworn statement
> > isn't worth much.
> > Have you tried the CPUs one at a time?
8<--- snip snip

Ok, I am back with some better statistics, and still the same problem.
Here is what I did:

1. Fresh install using both CPUs, to cause the MP HAL to install.
(CPU1 in slot 1, CPU2 in slot2). Freezes occured with the following
frequency:
11h to a true freeze
11h to a true freeze
10h until freeze was noticed (could have happened earlier)
2h to a true freeze
1h to a true freeze
10h until a freeze was noticed
2h to a true freeze
2. Replaced CPU1 in slot 1 with Continuity Module
no freezes for continuous 49h
3. Swapped CPU1 (now in slot 2) and CM
no freezes for continuous 40h
4. Replaced CPU1 in slot 2 with CPU2, CM still in slot 1
no freezes for continuous 53h
5. Swapped CPU2 (now in slot 1) and CM
no freezes for continuous 47h
6. Replaced CM with CPU1; now CPU2 in slot 1 and CPU1 in slot 2.
Freezes occured sofar as follows:
12h until freeze was noticed
13h until freeze was noticed

I believe this demonstrates that CPUs are ok, and that the mobo is
fine, too. Any suggestions on what to do next? My logs are clean, I
believe the temperature is ok, too (I check it only in the BIOS while
rebooting from a freeze; are there any generic tools that can do that
from Windows?). Power supply is 400W, I have all the peripherals,
except the SCSI HD and IDE CDRW, disconnected... Any and all help and
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

--Marcin

New data: the mobo and both processors run fine if I set the FSB speed
to 100MHz (instead of auto, which sets it to 133MHz). That makes the
CPUs run at 600MHz instead of 800, so that's definitely a bummer!

Anyone still reading this NG?... And willing to help a poor soul that
just lost all faith in computers?...

--Marcin

marcin.s@usa.net (Marcin Struzak) wrote in message news:<79eef1a1.0409302238.917e07f@posting.google.com>...
> marcin.s@usa.net (Marcin Struzak) wrote in message news:<79eef1a1.0409041017.682b7608@posting.google.com>...
> > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message news:<OYYbotkkEHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> > > Well there could be several issues. You must be using XP
> > > Pro. The CPU's and the BIOS must be compatible with the
> > > mobo. The eBay CPU may be junk because a sworn statement
> > > isn't worth much.
> > > Have you tried the CPUs one at a time?
> 8<--- snip snip
>
> Ok, I am back with some better statistics, and still the same problem.
> Here is what I did:
>
> 1. Fresh install using both CPUs, to cause the MP HAL to install.
> (CPU1 in slot 1, CPU2 in slot2). Freezes occured with the following
> frequency:
> 11h to a true freeze
> 11h to a true freeze
> 10h until freeze was noticed (could have happened earlier)
> 2h to a true freeze
> 1h to a true freeze
> 10h until a freeze was noticed
> 2h to a true freeze
> 2. Replaced CPU1 in slot 1 with Continuity Module
> no freezes for continuous 49h
> 3. Swapped CPU1 (now in slot 2) and CM
> no freezes for continuous 40h
> 4. Replaced CPU1 in slot 2 with CPU2, CM still in slot 1
> no freezes for continuous 53h
> 5. Swapped CPU2 (now in slot 1) and CM
> no freezes for continuous 47h
> 6. Replaced CM with CPU1; now CPU2 in slot 1 and CPU1 in slot 2.
> Freezes occured sofar as follows:
> 12h until freeze was noticed
> 13h until freeze was noticed
>
> I believe this demonstrates that CPUs are ok, and that the mobo is
> fine, too. Any suggestions on what to do next? My logs are clean, I
> believe the temperature is ok, too (I check it only in the BIOS while
> rebooting from a freeze; are there any generic tools that can do that
> from Windows?). Power supply is 400W, I have all the peripherals,
> except the SCSI HD and IDE CDRW, disconnected... Any and all help and
> suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> --Marcin

Here is somebody else who is on the point of losing all interest in
computers. Maybe I should try Linux. Just reformatted my hard disk,
installed XP+SP2. Got it reactivated easy enough. Reinstalled Norton
Symantec with trepidation as it had played havoc with my mail rules on the
earlier install as a result of which I had uninstalled it after a day or
two.

And now I can't get Symantec to reactivate the damn thing when it was the
havoc it played with my Mail Rules in the first place that led me to
reformat the HD and reinstall everything from scratch.

This time round Symantec is behaving itself. No problems with WinXP+SP2
either. Don't know whether Symantec tweaked their Norton Software after I
reported the problem I had had with locked Mail Rules to them. But despite
two phone calls and 2 promises that it would be activated once I restarted
the computer, it is still asking for activation! It's been nearly 24 hours
and still no joy.

Money grabbers!
--
choro-nik