A8V Delux - Promise IDE

I am trying to set up the Promise to drive a single IDE NOT Raid
I configure the ASUS Bios to Enable the promise and select IDE.
I have installed the Windows 98SE driver for IDE (NOT Raid)
The system then hangs on bootup.
The only way I can get the system to work is by setting the
Bios to RAID with no disks attached to the RAID i.e. not using the
drive at all
Windows will then boot but the drive is obviously not detected.
All I am trying to do is use 5 IDE (3 drives and 2 CD-DVD) in the
system
I do not need Raid but just want the Promise to drive a single disk and
recognised by Windows.
Any Ideas ?
The board is new as of 10 June 2005 therefore I expect I have brand new
drivers.
Has ANYONE set up the Promise to drive a single IDE under windows 98SE
?
Thanks

"mal_k100" <mal_k100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to set up the Promise to drive a single IDE NOT Raid
> I configure the ASUS Bios to Enable the promise and select IDE.
> I have installed the Windows 98SE driver for IDE (NOT Raid)
> The system then hangs on bootup.
> The only way I can get the system to work is by setting the
> Bios to RAID with no disks attached to the RAID i.e. not using the
> drive at all
> Windows will then boot but the drive is obviously not detected.
> All I am trying to do is use 5 IDE (3 drives and 2 CD-DVD) in the
> system
> I do not need Raid but just want the Promise to drive a single disk and
> recognised by Windows.
> Any Ideas ?
> The board is new as of 10 June 2005 therefore I expect I have brand new
> drivers.
> Has ANYONE set up the Promise to drive a single IDE under windows 98SE
> ?
> Thanks

The Promise Fast Track378 PATA IDE driver will support a single or two IDE
devices. However, it will not do so on Windows 98 or 98SE.

Bobby

Paul

Splendid

In article <1118570239.693213.232740@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"mal_k100" <mal_k100@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to set up the Promise to drive a single IDE NOT Raid
> I configure the ASUS Bios to Enable the promise and select IDE.
> I have installed the Windows 98SE driver for IDE (NOT Raid)
> The system then hangs on bootup.
> The only way I can get the system to work is by setting the
> Bios to RAID with no disks attached to the RAID i.e. not using the
> drive at all
> Windows will then boot but the drive is obviously not detected.
> All I am trying to do is use 5 IDE (3 drives and 2 CD-DVD) in the
> system
> I do not need Raid but just want the Promise to drive a single disk and
> recognised by Windows.
> Any Ideas ?
> The board is new as of 10 June 2005 therefore I expect I have brand new
> drivers.
> Has ANYONE set up the Promise to drive a single IDE under windows 98SE
> ?
> Thanks

Try this thread.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64/browse_frm/thread/c3d1ed803bce15cf

I notice in the unzipped install folder, there are two win98 folders,
and I don't understand why that would be. Maybe you can update the
device driver, by using the Device Manager, and point it to the
..inf file in one of those two directories ?

Brand new drivers are only needed if something changes. The Promise
20378 has been around for a while, so drivers are reasonably stable.

Don't give up yet.

HTH,
Paul