DDR2 667 memory reported by P5WD2 as 533?

ns

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

Hello,

I purchase Corsair TWIN2X1024-5400C4 1GB DDR2-667 XMS2-5400 Xtreme
Performance Memory for use in an Asus P5WD2 board. The memory is detected
by the BIOS as: 1 Gb of PC2 - 4300, which to my knowledge is the slower,
533MHz memory. I expected PC2-5400 (667MHz) memory. What am I missing?

Thanks for your comments!

Paul

Splendid

In article <EJqdnTMsp9aJ0jHfRVn-oA@suscom.com>, "NS" <mhdevaux@rcn.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I purchase Corsair TWIN2X1024-5400C4 1GB DDR2-667 XMS2-5400 Xtreme
> Performance Memory for use in an Asus P5WD2 board. The memory is detected
> by the BIOS as: 1 Gb of PC2 - 4300, which to my knowledge is the slower,
> 533MHz memory. I expected PC2-5400 (667MHz) memory. What am I missing?
>

> Thanks for your comments!

The contents of the SPD EEPROM on the DIMM, a tiny chip that records
timing information, are controlled by JEDEC standards. For non-standard
frequencies, expect to find the next lowest standard frequency and
timing recorded in the EEPROM. That means, for overclocker memory,
you will not always find the actual ratings of the memory stored in
there.

The problem is, if the manufacturer put the real ratings in there,
there are some motherboard BIOS that would become confused. Rather
than run the risk that the computer cannot POST, the standard
frequency is used instead. You can then enter the BIOS and set
the timings manually as desired.

The memory will have been tested at the factory, at the stated 667MHz
speed, and likely will overclock a lot higher than that. There
are a few articles on Anandtech, about how high some of these
products can be pushed. Use memtest86+ and Prime95, to test that
all is well.

HTH,
Paul

ns

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

Paul,

I'll try your suggestions to verify that all is well.

Thanks for the education!

> In article <EJqdnTMsp9aJ0jHfRVn-oA@suscom.com>, "NS" <mhdevaux@rcn.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I purchase Corsair TWIN2X1024-5400C4 1GB DDR2-667 XMS2-5400 Xtreme
>> Performance Memory for use in an Asus P5WD2 board. The memory is
>> detected
>> by the BIOS as: 1 Gb of PC2 - 4300, which to my knowledge is the slower,
>> 533MHz memory. I expected PC2-5400 (667MHz) memory. What am I missing?
>>

>> Thanks for your comments!
>
> The contents of the SPD EEPROM on the DIMM, a tiny chip that records
> timing information, are controlled by JEDEC standards. For non-standard
> frequencies, expect to find the next lowest standard frequency and
> timing recorded in the EEPROM. That means, for overclocker memory,
> you will not always find the actual ratings of the memory stored in
> there.
>
> The problem is, if the manufacturer put the real ratings in there,
> there are some motherboard BIOS that would become confused. Rather
> than run the risk that the computer cannot POST, the standard
> frequency is used instead. You can then enter the BIOS and set
> the timings manually as desired.
>
> The memory will have been tested at the factory, at the stated 667MHz
> speed, and likely will overclock a lot higher than that. There
> are a few articles on Anandtech, about how high some of these
> products can be pushed. Use memtest86+ and Prime95, to test that
> all is well.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

TRENDING THREADS