Problem with SP2 and nvidia geforce 2 gts

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a Dell Dimension 4100. It has run windows xp for 3 years now. I
recently downloaded sp2 for xp. Everything seems to work fine except when I
try to change the wallpaper on the desktop. As soon as I click on "browse"
to look for the new wallpaper file I want to use I get an error message

"run a dll as an app has encountered a problem"

The display then freezes/slows down a little - but is not a major problem -
I just cant change my wallpaper and am worried something else may go wrong.

From looking on the net I think the problem is linked to my display adapter
but I'm not competent enough to figure out what I can do about it - if
anything. I have checked that the latest driver is installed - and I think
it is. It is;

Driver 5.2.1.6 dated October 2003.

Please help. Thanks

display adapters NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS NVIDIA
floppy disk controllers Standard floppy disk controller (Standard
floppy disk controllers)
floppy disk drives Floppy disk drive (Standard floppy disk drives)
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
Intel
Primary IDE Channel (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)
Secondary IDE Channel

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I highly doubt this has anything to do with your video card, but you may
want to update those drivers. nVidia just released new drivers (not
even on their website yet) and you can get them here:

I have a feeling your problem has something to do with a bad install of
SP2 or something that conflicted with SP2 that you had previously
installed on your computer. Make sure to scan your computer for Malware
and viruses. Ad-Aware from www.lavasoftusa.com is good for malware and
you can do the online scan for viruses from www.antivirus.com ;)

----
Nathan McNulty