Newbee to networking question

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 13, 2005 3:44:56 PM

I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo and am currently connecting (just recently) to
the internet via a DSL modem and wireless router. Everything is working but
I have a question. There are two LAN ports on the MoBo: one is a Fast
Ethernet port and the other one is Gigabit LAN port. I am currently
connected to the Fast Ethernet port...but should I be connected to the
Gigabit LAN port or does it matter...??? Could one of you network gurus
explain this to me and what the difference between the two ports are if
any... THANKS CP
June 13, 2005 3:44:57 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:44:56 -0400, "CP" <peckcharless@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo and am currently connecting (just recently) to
>the internet via a DSL modem and wireless router. Everything is working but
>I have a question. There are two LAN ports on the MoBo: one is a Fast
>Ethernet port and the other one is Gigabit LAN port. I am currently
>connected to the Fast Ethernet port...but should I be connected to the
>Gigabit LAN port or does it matter...??? Could one of you network gurus
>explain this to me and what the difference between the two ports are if
>any... THANKS CP

To put it simply, the slower LAN ports are still 10 to 100 times faster
then DSL speeds. Look at Task Manager/Networking tab and download
something, no doubt the LAN is under 5% usage.

Ed
June 13, 2005 4:33:54 PM

In article <aLhre.83329$lQ3.28711@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, "CP"
<peckcharless@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo and am currently connecting (just recently) to
> the internet via a DSL modem and wireless router. Everything is working but
> I have a question. There are two LAN ports on the MoBo: one is a Fast
> Ethernet port and the other one is Gigabit LAN port. I am currently
> connected to the Fast Ethernet port...but should I be connected to the
> Gigabit LAN port or does it matter...??? Could one of you network gurus
> explain this to me and what the difference between the two ports are if
> any... THANKS CP

The way I use the ports, is I connect the fast port to the LAN side.
In other words, when networking to other machines in the house, I use
the fast port for that, so when transferring files between computers,
I get the maximum speed. In Win2K I could get up to 40MB/sec via
FTP, between the A7N8X-E and a P4C800-E (both computers having gigabit
LAN ports in that case). To achieve that "benchmark" speed, I used
RAM disks on each end, so real performance will not be that good.

The slow port goes to the ADSL or cable modem (as a WAN port). That
is because those devices have a lower thruput, like 10 Mbits/sec.
A 10/100 port is fast enough for that.

To use both ports, you need something like ICS (internet connection
sharing) or the equivalent. That allows computers with two LAN ports
to be "daisy-chained". A much better solution is to use your router
and the multiple ports on it. With a router, it means you'll only
need one port on each computer, and only the router needs to be powered
for the computers to have services. Also, in my case, my router
terminates the PPPOE protocol from my ADSL ISP, which is a more
reliable method than having my computer do it.

--- ADSL or ------- 10 base T ----- direct to one computer
cable modem

--- ADSL or ------- 10 base T --- router
cable modem | | |
| | |
100 base T or faster, to allow
faster local traffic between
the computers on the same LAN.

HTH,
Paul
Related resources
June 13, 2005 5:03:46 PM

Excellent info..I new I could count on someone to explain it to me...CP

> In article <aLhre.83329$lQ3.28711@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, "CP"
> <peckcharless@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo and am currently connecting (just recently)
>> the internet via a DSL modem and wireless router. Everything is working
>> but
>> I have a question. There are two LAN ports on the MoBo: one is a Fast
>> Ethernet port and the other one is Gigabit LAN port. I am currently
>> connected to the Fast Ethernet port...but should I be connected to the
>> Gigabit LAN port or does it matter...??? Could one of you network gurus
>> explain this to me and what the difference between the two ports are if
>> any... THANKS CP
>
> The way I use the ports, is I connect the fast port to the LAN side.
> In other words, when networking to other machines in the house, I use
> the fast port for that, so when transferring files between computers,
> I get the maximum speed. In Win2K I could get up to 40MB/sec via
> FTP, between the A7N8X-E and a P4C800-E (both computers having gigabit
> LAN ports in that case). To achieve that "benchmark" speed, I used
> RAM disks on each end, so real performance will not be that good.
>
> The slow port goes to the ADSL or cable modem (as a WAN port). That
> is because those devices have a lower thruput, like 10 Mbits/sec.
> A 10/100 port is fast enough for that.
>
> To use both ports, you need something like ICS (internet connection
> sharing) or the equivalent. That allows computers with two LAN ports
> to be "daisy-chained". A much better solution is to use your router
> and the multiple ports on it. With a router, it means you'll only
> need one port on each computer, and only the router needs to be powered
> for the computers to have services. Also, in my case, my router
> terminates the PPPOE protocol from my ADSL ISP, which is a more
> reliable method than having my computer do it.
>
> --- ADSL or ------- 10 base T ----- direct to one computer
> cable modem
>
> --- ADSL or ------- 10 base T --- router
> cable modem | | |
> | | |
> 100 base T or faster, to allow
> faster local traffic between
> the computers on the same LAN.
>
> HTH,
> Paul
June 13, 2005 5:04:17 PM

Excellent...thanks, CP

"Ed" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:44:56 -0400, "CP" <peckcharless@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo and am currently connecting (just recently)
>>the internet via a DSL modem and wireless router. Everything is working
>>but
>>I have a question. There are two LAN ports on the MoBo: one is a Fast
>>Ethernet port and the other one is Gigabit LAN port. I am currently
>>connected to the Fast Ethernet port...but should I be connected to the
>>Gigabit LAN port or does it matter...??? Could one of you network gurus
>>explain this to me and what the difference between the two ports are if
>>any... THANKS CP
>>

> To put it simply, the slower LAN ports are still 10 to 100 times faster
> then DSL speeds. Look at Task Manager/Networking tab and download
> something, no doubt the LAN is under 5% usage.
>
> Ed

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2005 5:09:52 PM

"CP" <peckcharless@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo and am currently connecting (just recently) to
>the internet via a DSL modem and wireless router. Everything is working
>but I have a question. There are two LAN ports on the MoBo: one is a Fast
>Ethernet port and the other one is Gigabit LAN port. I am currently
>connected to the Fast Ethernet port...but should I be connected to the
>Gigabit LAN port or does it matter...??? Could one of you network gurus
>explain this to me and what the difference between the two ports are if
>any... THANKS CP
Original Ethernet is 10 mbps
Fast Ethernet is 100 mbps
Gigabit Ethernet is 1000 mbps

DSL speed is typically about 256 - 1500 kbps (or .256 - 1.5 mbps), depending
on the service you signed up for.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2005 8:06:08 PM

The fast ethernet port has a maximum transfer rate of 100 Mbps. The Gigabit
ethernet port runs at 1000 Mbps. Your DSL modem/ router comination can run
no faster than about 1 Mbps. So you are correctly connected to the fast
ethernet port.

--
DaveW

"CP" <peckcharless@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe Mobo and am currently connecting (just recently) to
>the internet via a DSL modem and wireless router. Everything is working
>but I have a question. There are two LAN ports on the MoBo: one is a Fast
>Ethernet port and the other one is Gigabit LAN port. I am currently
>connected to the Fast Ethernet port...but should I be connected to the
>Gigabit LAN port or does it matter...??? Could one of you network gurus
>explain this to me and what the difference between the two ports are if
>any... THANKS CP

June 13, 2005 10:01:31 PM

I signed up for 1.5mbps but typically get about 1.2 from where I am at...CP

!