DVD Burn in XP?

I wanted to burn some files to a DVD for backup from XP Pro SP1 but XP
thinks my DVD burner is a CD burner. My Device Manager properly identifies
drive as a Memorex DVD burner. Do I have to have 3rd party DVD burning
software to do this?

Windows XP does not have native DVD recording capabilities.
In order to record to a DVD, you'll have to install a third-party
DVD recording program, such as NERO:
http://www.nero.com/us/index.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Kent McPherson" <bigk@kentmcpherson.com> wrote in message
> I wanted to burn some files to a DVD for backup from XP Pro SP1 but XP
> thinks my DVD burner is a CD burner. My Device Manager properly
identifies
> drive as a Memorex DVD burner. Do I have to have 3rd party DVD burning
> software to do this?

Exactly correct.

Xp support is just "basic" stuff, and does not
extend to writing to DVD's.

peter

Hi,

Usually the DVD burner should bundle with the DVD burning software.
Pls check the CD that come with the DVD burner.

Peter

Kent McPherson wrote:
> I wanted to burn some files to a DVD for backup from XP Pro SP1 but XP
> thinks my DVD burner is a CD burner. My Device Manager properly
> identifies drive as a Memorex DVD burner. Do I have to have 3rd
> party DVD burning software to do this?

Yes, I believe so.
You would always want to use burning software for this anyway - not packet
writing. Too many problems with CD packet writing, and I'm not even sure it
exists for DVD (don't quote me)

It did come with EZ CD & DVD Creator Basic. But when I installed it, my
drive letters disappeared. My primary hard drive is partitioned into 2
drives - C & D. I have a video drive - drive E. After the installation of
EZ, my E drive now was the 2 drive listed and my D drive was the 3rd drive.
I could not change the drive letters with the disk management utility in XP.
My backup program (DriveImage) showed the drive labels but no drive letters.
I tried uninstalling the EZ software but that didn't fix it. I had to go to
my last backup which was 3 days old which restored my drive letters. Thank
goodness for DriveImage!!

> Hi,
>
> Usually the DVD burner should bundle with the DVD burning software.
> Pls check the CD that come with the DVD burner.
>
> Peter
>
> "V Green" wrote:
>

> > "Kent McPherson" <bigk@kentmcpherson.com> wrote in message
> > > I wanted to burn some files to a DVD for backup from XP Pro SP1 but XP
> > > thinks my DVD burner is a CD burner. My Device Manager properly
> > identifies
> > > drive as a Memorex DVD burner. Do I have to have 3rd party DVD
burning
> > > software to do this?
> >
> > Exactly correct.
> >
> > Xp support is just "basic" stuff, and does not
> > extend to writing to DVD's.

Latest posts