client access

I have three computer network. One is connected to a router via etehernet the
other two via wireless. On each machine if I try to access another machine
via network using my network places->entire network->microsoft windows
network I get "workgroup not accessible . you might not have permission to
use this network resource". If however I use \\sever\client in an explorer
window it conects straight away and places the client in the microsoft
windows network folder tree. Another click on the workgroup icon however
still gets the "workgroup not accessible" line. Any Ideas

Make sure the workgroup name is the same for all computers
(case-sensitive?).

--
Joseph

"leigh" <leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have three computer network. One is connected to a router via etehernet
the
> other two via wireless. On each machine if I try to access another machine
> via network using my network places->entire network->microsoft windows
> network I get "workgroup not accessible . you might not have permission to
> use this network resource". If however I use \\sever\client in an explorer
> window it conects straight away and places the client in the microsoft
> windows network folder tree. Another click on the workgroup icon however
> still gets the "workgroup not accessible" line. Any Ideas

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
I would suggest reading the following page.
Read first the whole page (I.e. resist the urge to click on any of the
links).
Once you understand the general scope start to investigate the links that
concern your specific setting.
Link to: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"leigh" <leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have three computer network. One is connected to a router via etehernet
the
> other two via wireless. On each machine if I try to access another machine
> via network using my network places->entire network->microsoft windows
> network I get "workgroup not accessible . you might not have permission to
> use this network resource". If however I use \\sever\client in an explorer
> window it conects straight away and places the client in the microsoft
> windows network folder tree. Another click on the workgroup icon however
> still gets the "workgroup not accessible" line. Any Ideas

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"leigh" <leigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have three computer network. One is connected to a router via etehernet
>the
> other two via wireless. On each machine if I try to access another machine
> via network using my network places->entire network->microsoft windows
> network I get "workgroup not accessible . you might not have permission to
> use this network resource". If however I use \\sever\client in an explorer
> window it conects straight away and places the client in the microsoft
> windows network folder tree. Another click on the workgroup icon however
> still gets the "workgroup not accessible" line. Any Ideas

turned out it was a winsock related problem.
"netsh winsock reset" from the command line did the trick.