new mother board doesn't except old hdd

a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2004 1:18:00 PM

hi i had an ECS k7s5a board with athlon xp 2100 all
components worked fine. i just installed an ecs 848-p-a p4
board and i get thru first boot and after the post boot
the pc restarts. i have double checked the jumpers and the
p4 processor is installed correctly. i can't locate faqs
or troubleshooters thru ecs website and ecs tech support
says that i have to reformat and reinstall due to old hdd
having a "HAL" not excepting the new board. can i do a
windows repair or do you think this sounds right. any
ideas can help i already backed up my data, but reinstall
is always a pain in the tuckis.
thanks john

More about : mother board hdd

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2004 3:00:57 PM

traumajohn wrote:
> hi i had an ECS k7s5a board with athlon xp 2100 all
> components worked fine. i just installed an ecs 848-p-a p4
> board and i get thru first boot and after the post boot
> the pc restarts. i have double checked the jumpers and the
> p4 processor is installed correctly. i can't locate faqs
> or troubleshooters thru ecs website and ecs tech support
> says that i have to reformat and reinstall due to old hdd
> having a "HAL" not excepting the new board. can i do a
> windows repair or do you think this sounds right. any
> ideas can help i already backed up my data, but reinstall
> is always a pain in the tuckis.
> thanks john

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
_before_ starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q315341

important data before starting.

This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2004 8:52:59 PM

You cannot do a repair. You have made drastic changes to your system. You
went from AMD CPU with SIS chipset to a Pentium with Intel chipset. The
best thing to do is start from screatch.

"traumajohn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi i had an ECS k7s5a board with athlon xp 2100 all
> components worked fine. i just installed an ecs 848-p-a p4
> board and i get thru first boot and after the post boot
> the pc restarts. i have double checked the jumpers and the
> p4 processor is installed correctly. i can't locate faqs
> or troubleshooters thru ecs website and ecs tech support
> says that i have to reformat and reinstall due to old hdd
> having a "HAL" not excepting the new board. can i do a
> windows repair or do you think this sounds right. any
> ideas can help i already backed up my data, but reinstall
> is always a pain in the tuckis.
> thanks john
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2004 8:53:00 PM

Manda Luyong wrote:
> You cannot do a repair. You have made drastic changes to your
> system. You went from AMD CPU with SIS chipset to a Pentium with
> Intel chipset. The best thing to do is start from screatch.

Not necessarily. A repair installation will often work in such
situations.
--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2004 8:53:00 PM

can i tweak HAL? reinstall is a 3 day job on my system.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2004 8:53:01 PM

traumajohn wrote: "can i tweak HAL?"

Yes -- you tweak the HAL by performing a repair install. See the post by
Bruce Chambers.

steve

> can i tweak HAL? reinstall is a 3 day job on my system.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2004 9:12:46 PM

Good Luck!

news:o vy6ZDqkEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Manda Luyong wrote:
>> You cannot do a repair. You have made drastic changes to your
>> system. You went from AMD CPU with SIS chipset to a Pentium with
>> Intel chipset. The best thing to do is start from screatch.
>>

> Not necessarily. A repair installation will often work in such
> situations.
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2004 9:12:47 PM

Manda;
You can depend on luck if you desire, but you will come out short most
often since there is no such thing as luck.
A Repair Installation as suggested is the fact and it normally works.
If it doesn't, there are most likely other problem whether they are
known or unknown.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Manda Luyong" <lina@benito.net> wrote in message
> Good Luck!
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o vy6ZDqkEHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Manda Luyong wrote:
>>> You cannot do a repair. You have made drastic changes to your
>>> system. You went from AMD CPU with SIS chipset to a Pentium with
>>> Intel chipset. The best thing to do is start from screatch.
>>>

>> Not necessarily. A repair installation will often work in such
>> situations.
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
>> having both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2004 9:23:30 PM

All I can go by is what I have experienced on the ECS board. The K7S5
served me well for years until it finally died. I tried the hard drive on a
VIA and NVidia chipsets and never had any succces even though they are both
AMD platform. You can try what Bruce is recommending.

"traumajohn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can i tweak HAL? reinstall is a 3 day job on my system.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2004 12:15:51 PM

hello everyone, thanks for the sugestions. i thought ms
would probably allow a repair to fix the hal system, but i
wanted to hear it from you pro's. the repair did it well
and faster than a reinstall. thanks again for your sugg's,
john

ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

> As always when undertaking such a significant change,
back up any

!