Changed Ram system went to hell

I'm running A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD 3000 semperon
Gforce vid card
tried three ram strips
Crucial 256 DDR 3200
Generic 256 DDR 3200
Kinston 256 DDR 3200
When I put the Crusial in everything worked fine. I was able to load the
operating system
on My SATA drive.
It wasn't my Ram, so I had to replace it with something else. So I tried the
Kingston.
That's when things went to pieces. At first I couldn't get a post beep at
all. no matter what Ram I put in. I reset the bios (took battery out set
jumper .. waited etc.)
Finally beeped but in the voice bootup it says system failed do to CPU
overclocking. I checked the Bios and it's loading at the default of 166. The
computer keeps on going and says booting form operating system then to this
point

Pre-boot execution environment (PXE) v2.1
(C) Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation.
PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F Exiting PXE Rom
Disk Boot Failure Insert system boot disk.
where it stops

think I should include let me know and I will do my best to include them.
any help would be appreciated TIA

hi

i presume your not using 2 or three sticks togther so it isnt a dual channel
issue. if you are using more than 1 stick post back so we can get a correct
dual channel configuration.

i think it may be a ram timing issue left over from the previous sticks of
ram which is now conflicting with the subsequent stick.

try going into the bios and using a default setting for the ram timing
speeds.

if this doesnt work try loading all the default settings.

if this doesnt work, i dont know. maybe the ram has gone bad due to static?

hope this helps.

"S.O.S.D.D" <metomlinson@@@@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I'm running A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD 3000 semperon
> Gforce vid card
> tried three ram strips
> Crucial 256 DDR 3200
> Generic 256 DDR 3200
> Kinston 256 DDR 3200
> When I put the Crusial in everything worked fine. I was able to load the
> operating system
> on My SATA drive.
> It wasn't my Ram, so I had to replace it with something else. So I tried
the
> Kingston.
> That's when things went to pieces. At first I couldn't get a post beep at
> all. no matter what Ram I put in. I reset the bios (took battery out set
> jumper .. waited etc.)
> Finally beeped but in the voice bootup it says system failed do to CPU
> overclocking. I checked the Bios and it's loading at the default of 166.
The
> computer keeps on going and says booting form operating system then to
this
> point
>
> Pre-boot execution environment (PXE) v2.1
> (C) Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation.
> PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable
> PXE-M0F Exiting PXE Rom
> Disk Boot Failure Insert system boot disk.
> where it stops
>
> think I should include let me know and I will do my best to include them.
> any help would be appreciated TIA

I'm only using one stick.
I have everything in the bios set to default right now.
Something new happened I connected my IDE hardrive back up. Now everything
is
running fine, execpt for My SATA drive dosen't exist. I tried loading up
Windows on my IDE drive, loading the SATA drivers f6 then S loading
from floppy. At the point that it usually would show two drives my SATA and
IDE only the IDE shows up. ????
In the bios of my old A7N8X deluxe it has a setting for the boot
sequence for SATA or Scssi but this Bios dosn't have SATA even listed in the
bios.

"FriskyD" <user@user.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> Kingston.
> That's when things went to pieces. At first I couldn't get a post beep at
> all. no matter what Ram I put in. I reset the bios (took battery out set
> jumper .. waited etc.)
> Finally beeped but in the voice bootup it says system failed do to CPU
> overclocking. I checked the Bios and it's loading at the default of 166.
The
> computer keeps on going and says booting form operating system then to
this
> point
>
> Pre-boot execution environment (PXE) v2.1
> (C) Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation.
> PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable
> PXE-M0F Exiting PXE Rom
> Disk Boot Failure Insert system boot disk.
> where it stops
>
> think I should include let me know and I will do my best to include them.

It's seems to be trying to boot from the network (that's what all the
PXE messages are about). Check the BIOS settings and make sure
it's set to boot from HD first (or SCSI if your boot drive is SATA.)
This may have changed when you had to reset the CMOS.
HTH
--
Rob

im running a a7n8x-e dlx (1013) with a 3200XP+ (400FSB) corsair ram (dual
channel at 400Mhz) and 2 western digital 74gb raptors in raid 0 mode. in
addition to this i have a 120gb western digital ide backup drive. the whole
rig works fine, so i think we need to iron out some issues to get your setup
working.

are you using a western digital ide hard drive by any chance? i recall some
issues I had installing my western digital ide drive in addition to a sata
raid set. ive also read in the group that there are some issues. from memory
you cant set it to cable select and my 120gb needed to be set to master and
not slave for it to work.

i think you might have installed your o/s onto the ide drive accidentally.

is the sata jumper enable on the motherboard?

make sure you havent got some type of raid set created in the raid utility.
if theres anything in the utility delete it.

all the bios versions of my a7n8x-e dlx had the option to boot to scsi which
my sata raid set was connected to. in my bios i have to select boot from
scsi, as there isnt a sata option from memory

are you also using the latest bios?

are you also using the latest sata drivers from silicon image? the readme in
the drivers zip details the correct method of installing a sata drive to a
clean or current install of windows.

my plan of attack would be:

1 - update your bios
2 - reset the bios
3 - download the latest silicon image sata drivers, put these on a floppy
and read the readme file.
4 - only attach your sata drive. disconnect the ide drive for now.
5 - set the bios to boot from a: then scsi
6 - only use the crucial stick of ram for now.
7 - install the sata drivers during the windows installation process as per
the readme.
8 - load windows
9 - install the ide drive when windows is up and running.

> [...]
at
> >> all. no matter what Ram I put in. I reset the bios (took battery out
set
> >> jumper .. waited etc.)
> >> Finally beeped but in the voice bootup it says system failed do to
CPU
> >> overclocking. I checked the Bios and it's loading at the default of
166.
> > The
> >> computer keeps on going and says booting form operating system then to
> > this
> >> point
> >>
> >> Pre-boot execution environment (PXE) v2.1
> >> (C) Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation.
> >> PXE-E61 media test failure, check cable
> >> PXE-M0F Exiting PXE Rom
> >> Disk Boot Failure Insert system boot disk.
> >> where it stops
> >>
> >> think I should include let me know and I will do my best to include

Dino

an updated BIOS should give the option to boot from SATA. My rev2.0
does...and disconnecting the IDE is how I got my maxtors to run. I have
2x120 SATA max's and 2 30 gig max for storage.

First thing I have to inform everyone. I have been working on computers
since my first 286
I'm at my wits end with this thing. I talked to all my computer friends
some techs from a computer shop too.
I don't know If I have given everything to you folks (I am very grateful to
you for taking the time to reply. A person never knows someone may think of
something I haven't tried.
Since last post I have taken off the SATA everything is working fine.
Now the only problem I'm having now is the SATA.
Everytime I try to hook it up I get the sound message saying that my system
won't bootup because my CPU is overclocked. (none of the techs or friends
have a clue why this is happening) I was figuring it might be the HD, so I
put another SATA drive on it. Same thing happened
I made sure it is set to default for the SATA jumper, which is activated.
In the bios first boot device is scsi second is HD 1 third is HD 0 Forth
is CDROM. and I have search for other devices activated too.

This is the board and bios version.
Award Bios v6.00PG
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI Bios Rev 1012
The Main Board is only three weeks old.

> First thing I have to inform everyone. I have been working on computers
> since my first 286
> I'm at my wits end with this thing. I talked to all my computer friends
> some techs from a computer shop too.
> I don't know If I have given everything to you folks (I am very grateful
> you for taking the time to reply. A person never knows someone may think
of
> something I haven't tried.
> Since last post I have taken off the SATA everything is working fine.
> Now the only problem I'm having now is the SATA.
> Everytime I try to hook it up I get the sound message saying that my
system
> won't bootup because my CPU is overclocked. (none of the techs or friends
> have a clue why this is happening) I was figuring it might be the HD, so
> put another SATA drive on it. Same thing happened
> I made sure it is set to default for the SATA jumper, which is activated.
> In the bios first boot device is scsi second is HD 1 third is HD 0
Forth
> is CDROM. and I have search for other devices activated too.
>
> This is the board and bios version.
> Award Bios v6.00PG
> ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI Bios Rev 1012
> The Main Board is only three weeks old.

<snip>
I have one of those at home (same BIOS rev.) and a spare SATA HD atm, so
I'll see if I get the same problem. Another possibility, I suppose, is that
the PSU
might not be man enough when you add the SATA HD - may be worth trying it
with all the other drives disconnected?
HTH
--
Rob

Thanks Rob
I have an Enermax 380 w Works fine on my other machine.
My other computer is an AMD 2500 A7N8X Deluxe 512 meg
two strips 256 chips. 80 gig WD HD IDE.
9700 Pro ATI
Windows XP Pro

> "S.O.S.D.D" <metomlinson@@@@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> First thing I have to inform everyone. I have been working on computers
>> since my first 286
>> I'm at my wits end with this thing. I talked to all my computer friends
>> some techs from a computer shop too.
>> I don't know If I have given everything to you folks (I am very grateful
>> you for taking the time to reply. A person never knows someone may think
> of
>> something I haven't tried.
>> Since last post I have taken off the SATA everything is working fine.
>> Now the only problem I'm having now is the SATA.
>> Everytime I try to hook it up I get the sound message saying that my
> system
>> won't bootup because my CPU is overclocked. (none of the techs or friends
>> have a clue why this is happening) I was figuring it might be the HD, so
>> put another SATA drive on it. Same thing happened
>> I made sure it is set to default for the SATA jumper, which is activated.
>> In the bios first boot device is scsi second is HD 1 third is HD 0
> Forth
>> is CDROM. and I have search for other devices activated too.
>>
>> This is the board and bios version.
>> Award Bios v6.00PG
>> ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI Bios Rev 1012
>> The Main Board is only three weeks old.
>
> <snip>
> I have one of those at home (same BIOS rev.) and a spare SATA HD atm, so
> I'll see if I get the same problem. Another possibility, I suppose, is
> that
> the PSU
> might not be man enough when you add the SATA HD - may be worth trying it
> with all the other drives disconnected?
> HTH
> --
> Rob