freeze/crash when copying files

greets,
i've recently started experiencing a rather peculiar problem after
installing a seagate 160gb SATA harddrive, which i incidentally also
decided to use as the primary boot drive (created a 10 gig partition
for the OS).
I have a DFI nForce2 mobo (LANPARTY Ultra II) for which i had set up a
60gb raid 1.5 array up using two identical western digital harddrives.
the 160gb seagate HD was supposed to replace the WD harddrives, as the
WD ones have a tendency to make a highly annoying high frequency
noise, and have done so ever since i got them.
While I was copying the files from the raid array over to the 160
gigger, my computer suddenly froze and would only react to the reset
and power buttons.
I rebooted and tried again only to experience the same result.
Eventually i found out that this only happened with a select few
(well, actually there's a lot of them, but far from all files are
affected) files of varying sizes and types.
I then tried copying the files to a 1 gb JAZ disk connected externally
through an adaptec 2940UW scsi PCI controller. Same result.
Then thought "well damn, must mean the harddrives have somehow become
fried" (which couldn't have happened due to overheating or anything as
i have more than adequate cooling throughout the entire cabinet).
I then detached the RAID array and put in two older 10gb SCSI u160
harddrives which also contained files that i needed to put on the new
SATA harddrive. Lo and behold, the same thing happened!! Computer
froze while trying to copy a small, but significant number of
seemingly random files. Eventually (meaning within like an hour) it
also spread to another 80gb seagate HD, as WELL as the brand spanking
new SATA drive!
Checking the drives for errors revealed nothing.
I also found that i am generally able to open the files in question,
but often, explorer will crash if I attempt to do so (also sometimes
taking the error reporting tool/dr watson down with it).
What's funny though is that I can easily copy and move the files from
the harddrives to another computer on the LAN, just not from harddrive
to harddrive/removable media.

Event viewer reveals little except the following error message:
"Content index on d:\system volume information\catalog.wci is corrupt.
Please shutdown and restart the Indexing Service (cisvc)."
Microsoft's knowledge database has nothing on this subject, except
that rebooting will solve the problem. But it's not like I have any
choice but to reboot anyway, heh.
But it seems obvious to me that the harddrives are not at fault here.
Especially since they work when put into other computers (haven't
tried the SATA drive in any other computer, as this is my only one
that has an SATA controller).

Does anyone know what the hell is going on here?
I can only guess that it's either the motherboard or an
incompatibility between windows and a driver.
If it is the motherboard, can anyone recommend me a motherboard that
is STABLE, has SATA, dual LAN, USB 2.0, firewire and supports PC3200
and AMD barton CPUs and doesn't cost a fortune?

My system:
Barton XP 2500+ OC'ed to 2700+
400W Macron PSU
motherboard is DFI LANPARTY Ultra II (nForce2 chipset) with latest
BIOS and nforce drivers
1 gb PC3200 infineon ram (2x512 mb dual chan.)
Club3D Radeon 9800pro 128mb, latest omega drivers
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard, latest drivers
Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcard, latest drivers
160 gb seagate barracuda SATA HD
80 gb seagate barracuda IDE HD
2x60gb western digital IDE HD on raid 1.5 array
10 gb seagate caviar SCSI u160 HD
10 gb quantum SCSI u160 HD
Plextor 40/12/24x CD-RW IDE
Plextor 50x CD-ROM IDE
also use AVG antivirus software and spybot/adaware plus.
the drives are not particularly fragmented.

system temperatures are generally:
mb: 32 idle, 36 full load
CPU: 32 idle, 41 full load
harddrives: between 24 and 36 degrees

thanks,
-IZ

Install the latest M/B drivers from Nvidia, version 4.27.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Invader Zim" <putafuky@REMOVETHIStiscali.dk> wrote in message
> [...]
> and AMD barton CPUs and doesn't cost a fortune?
>
> My system:
> Barton XP 2500+ OC'ed to 2700+
> 400W Macron PSU
> motherboard is DFI LANPARTY Ultra II (nForce2 chipset) with latest
> BIOS and nforce drivers
> 1 gb PC3200 infineon ram (2x512 mb dual chan.)
> Club3D Radeon 9800pro 128mb, latest omega drivers
> Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard, latest drivers
> Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcard, latest drivers
> 160 gb seagate barracuda SATA HD
> 80 gb seagate barracuda IDE HD
> 2x60gb western digital IDE HD on raid 1.5 array
> 10 gb seagate caviar SCSI u160 HD
> 10 gb quantum SCSI u160 HD
> Plextor 40/12/24x CD-RW IDE
> Plextor 50x CD-ROM IDE
> also use AVG antivirus software and spybot/adaware plus.
> the drives are not particularly fragmented.

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 19:38:48 -0400, "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Install the latest M/B drivers from Nvidia, version 4.27.

if you read my post, you'd see that i've already done so.

-IZ

Many people think they have the latest drivers when, in fact, they don't.
You did not mention what version you were running. So I told you what to
get.

Had you said what version you were running, I would not have wasted my time
responding!