Sound doesn't work???

I just recently upgraded to XP from 98 and my sound
doesn't work? It works in 98 but not in XP, What can I
do? do I need to update my sound card or is there some
simple fix I don't know about? Please Help!!
thanx
Eric
5 answers Last reply
More about sound doesn work

    Check and see if there is an XP driver available for your card. It will
    help if you let us know the model or if it is integrated, the motherboard.

    "Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just recently upgraded to XP from 98 and my sound
    > doesn't work? It works in 98 but not in XP, What can I
    > do? do I need to update my sound card or is there some
    > simple fix I don't know about? Please Help!!
    > thanx
    > Eric

    How do I find out if my sound card has an XP driver and
    how do I know if the motherboard is integrated, or how do
    I find out? Thanxz

    Go to www.lavalys.com , download Everest Home (free), install it. Run
    the program and check for your sound card. It will not only tell you
    what you have, but also provide a link to the latest drivers for it ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Eric wrote:
    > How do I find out if my sound card has an XP driver and
    > how do I know if the motherboard is integrated, or how do
    > I find out? Thanxz

    Nathan-

    I've a similar problem - reinstalled OS (WinXP Pro) and
    now in my Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, I get "No
    Audio Device."

    So I hop over to my device manager and see two potentials:

    "Audio Codecs" (doubtfully the solution)
    "Intel(r) CA'97 Audio Controller"

    The last one makes the most sense, but it's got a yellow
    exclaimation point next to it. So I come here and see you
    suggesting a download of Everest Home. The Lavalys
    website seems to be down right now, but found it thanks
    to Google.

    Using Everest Home Edition I learn a few more details
    about this pesky audio controller:

    Audio Adapter
    Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

    However, the link that would send me off to find drivers
    is greyed out so naturally I Google it. Well, I Google
    AC'97 Audio Controller driver. It seems something's tied
    in to motherboards (mine's from Trigem, according to
    Everest) and I'm hopelessly lost on how to get this to
    work.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!
    amelia

    Try these drivers:
    http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=1671

    You may try right clicking on the device with the yellow exclamation
    makr and uninstall it first. Then install those drivers, then reboot
    and see if that helps :)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

Microsoft Windows XP