Sound doesn't work???

September 4, 2004 2:45:41 PM

I just recently upgraded to XP from 98 and my sound
doesn't work? It works in 98 but not in XP, What can I
do? do I need to update my sound card or is there some
simple fix I don't know about? Please Help!!
thanx
Eric

More about : sound work

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 9:49:08 PM

Check and see if there is an XP driver available for your card. It will
help if you let us know the model or if it is integrated, the motherboard.

"Eric" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just recently upgraded to XP from 98 and my sound
> doesn't work? It works in 98 but not in XP, What can I
> do? do I need to update my sound card or is there some
> simple fix I don't know about? Please Help!!
> thanx
> Eric
September 4, 2004 9:49:09 PM

How do I find out if my sound card has an XP driver and
how do I know if the motherboard is integrated, or how do
I find out? Thanxz

September 6, 2004 5:03:19 AM

Go to www.lavalys.com , download Everest Home (free), install it. Run
the program and check for your sound card. It will not only tell you
what you have, but also provide a link to the latest drivers for it ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Eric wrote:
> How do I find out if my sound card has an XP driver and
> how do I know if the motherboard is integrated, or how do
> I find out? Thanxz

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 8:39:29 PM

Nathan-

I've a similar problem - reinstalled OS (WinXP Pro) and
now in my Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, I get "No
Audio Device."

So I hop over to my device manager and see two potentials:

"Audio Codecs" (doubtfully the solution)
"Intel(r) CA'97 Audio Controller"

The last one makes the most sense, but it's got a yellow
exclaimation point next to it. So I come here and see you
suggesting a download of Everest Home. The Lavalys
website seems to be down right now, but found it thanks
to Google.

Using Everest Home Edition I learn a few more details
about this pesky audio controller:

Audio Adapter
Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]

However, the link that would send me off to find drivers
is greyed out so naturally I Google it. Well, I Google
AC'97 Audio Controller driver. It seems something's tied
in to motherboards (mine's from Trigem, according to
Everest) and I'm hopelessly lost on how to get this to
work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
amelia

Anonymous
September 12, 2004 3:13:41 AM

Try these drivers:
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=1671

You may try right clicking on the device with the yellow exclamation
makr and uninstall it first. Then install those drivers, then reboot
and see if that helps :)

----
Nathan McNulty

!