USB/Epson R300 and A8V-E problem

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just installed a A8V-E on one machine and a VIA KT600 on another.

When I installed an Epson R300 printer it failed to print, although
the PC could read the printers config - just not print. I bought a
new one. same thing :-( However, the printer9s) work on the KT 600
machine. And yes, I've tried the latest Epson driver.

I also notice that a Generic USB Hub (v1.1, I think) will not work
either on the A8V (but does on the KT600).

The Epson site suggests there are problems with VIA USB drivers.

On the A8V-E I have XP Pro SP2, loads of disk space and 1Gb mem.

However, I have an HP mouse, an ADSL modem, and funnily enough, an
Epson Perfection 610 scanner that all work perfectly through the
normal USB connection.

Anyone tell me what is going on here probably and more importantly a
fix?

TIA

--
Jerry

Paul

Splendid

In article <eg00b1d1om9h2vist3n5an8nvedca68qkg@4ax.com>, Jerry
<jerry@remove.veridian.fsworld.co.uk> wrote:

> Just installed a A8V-E on one machine and a VIA KT600 on another.
>
> When I installed an Epson R300 printer it failed to print, although
> the PC could read the printers config - just not print. I bought a
> new one. same thing :-( However, the printer9s) work on the KT 600
> machine. And yes, I've tried the latest Epson driver.
>
> I also notice that a Generic USB Hub (v1.1, I think) will not work
> either on the A8V (but does on the KT600).
>
> The Epson site suggests there are problems with VIA USB drivers.
>
> On the A8V-E I have XP Pro SP2, loads of disk space and 1Gb mem.
>
> However, I have an HP mouse, an ADSL modem, and funnily enough, an
> Epson Perfection 610 scanner that all work perfectly through the
> normal USB connection.
>
> Anyone tell me what is going on here probably and more importantly a
> fix?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Jerry

Now, the funny thing is, the A8V-E uses a 8237R Southbridge,
while a A7V600 uses a 8237 Southbridge. I think the Southbridge
chips share a great deal in common, because VIA loves to reuse its
intellectual property, whether it works right or not.

One difference I see between the two boards, is the A8V-E has a
frequency configuration setting called "Spread Spectrum", which is
set to [Auto] by default. Try setting it to [Disabled] and see
if things improve.

Since the Southbridges are so similar, I don't think this is a
driver issue. There must be some other environmental factor,
and spread spectrum appears to be a feature difference between
boards.

If that doesn't work, another possible obscure fix, is to use
a USB2 hub. If you already own one of these, then by all means
test it. Otherwise, don't waste the money buying a new one,
because the odds that this will fix the problem, are pretty
slim indeed. The reason a USB2 hub is superior, is because it
reclocks the data, and a USB2 hub can act as a jitter filter,
for any USB peripheral devices that violates allowed jitter
limits for USB data. There was an Nvidia chipset that suffered
from jitter intolerance, and I'm not aware of any other chipset
company than Nvidia, having a problem like that.

Also, if you own a PCI USB card, try stuffing that into the
computer, and see if the devices work properly when connected
to an interface like that. Chances are, a PCI USB card would
make for a cheaper solution than a USB2 hub, and is more likely
to fix the problem.

Paul

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:21:48 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <eg00b1d1om9h2vist3n5an8nvedca68qkg@4ax.com>, Jerry
><jerry@remove.veridian.fsworld.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Just installed a A8V-E on one machine and a VIA KT600 on another.
>>
>> When I installed an Epson R300 printer it failed to print, although
>> the PC could read the printers config - just not print. I bought a
>> new one. same thing :-( However, the printer9s) work on the KT 600
>> machine. And yes, I've tried the latest Epson driver.
>>
>> I also notice that a Generic USB Hub (v1.1, I think) will not work
>> either on the A8V (but does on the KT600).
>>
>> The Epson site suggests there are problems with VIA USB drivers.
>>
>> On the A8V-E I have XP Pro SP2, loads of disk space and 1Gb mem.
>>
>> However, I have an HP mouse, an ADSL modem, and funnily enough, an
>> Epson Perfection 610 scanner that all work perfectly through the
>> normal USB connection.
>>
>> Anyone tell me what is going on here probably and more importantly a
>> fix?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Jerry
>
>Now, the funny thing is, the A8V-E uses a 8237R Southbridge,
>while a A7V600 uses a 8237 Southbridge. I think the Southbridge
>chips share a great deal in common, because VIA loves to reuse its
>intellectual property, whether it works right or not.
>
>One difference I see between the two boards, is the A8V-E has a
>frequency configuration setting called "Spread Spectrum", which is
>set to [Auto] by default. Try setting it to [Disabled] and see
>if things improve.
>
>Since the Southbridges are so similar, I don't think this is a
>driver issue. There must be some other environmental factor,
>and spread spectrum appears to be a feature difference between
>boards.
>
>If that doesn't work, another possible obscure fix, is to use
>a USB2 hub. If you already own one of these, then by all means
>test it. Otherwise, don't waste the money buying a new one,
>because the odds that this will fix the problem, are pretty
>slim indeed. The reason a USB2 hub is superior, is because it
>reclocks the data, and a USB2 hub can act as a jitter filter,
>for any USB peripheral devices that violates allowed jitter
>limits for USB data. There was an Nvidia chipset that suffered
>from jitter intolerance, and I'm not aware of any other chipset
>company than Nvidia, having a problem like that.
>
>Also, if you own a PCI USB card, try stuffing that into the
>computer, and see if the devices work properly when connected
>to an interface like that. Chances are, a PCI USB card would
>make for a cheaper solution than a USB2 hub, and is more likely
>to fix the problem.
>
> Paul

Many thanks again for your input, Paul You helped with a CPU problem
on my other board earlier!

I will try the solutions you suggest. In the interim when you say
disable Spread Spectrum, do you mean in the BIOS?

BTW, the Epson has been tried in all the (currently0 available USB
connects on the board and not just the Hub. Just in case I didn't
make that clear.

--
Jerry

Paul

Splendid

In article <qel2b1dgugmq56rgq9v5gc6rdn4ouijvbg@4ax.com>, Jerry
<jerry@remove.veridian.fsworld.co.uk> wrote:

> Many thanks again for your input, Paul You helped with a CPU problem
> on my other board earlier!
>
> I will try the solutions you suggest. In the interim when you say
> disable Spread Spectrum, do you mean in the BIOS?
>
> BTW, the Epson has been tried in all the (currently0 available USB
> connects on the board and not just the Hub. Just in case I didn't
> make that clear.
>
> --
> Jerry

Yes, the spread spectrum setting is in the BIOS. Since you didn't
have trouble with the KT600, I'm assuming the software side is
working OK.

Paul

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:21:48 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <eg00b1d1om9h2vist3n5an8nvedca68qkg@4ax.com>, Jerry
><jerry@remove.veridian.fsworld.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Just installed a A8V-E on one machine and a VIA KT600 on another.
>>
>> When I installed an Epson R300 printer it failed to print, although
>> the PC could read the printers config - just not print. I bought a
>> new one. same thing :-( However, the printer9s) work on the KT 600
>> machine. And yes, I've tried the latest Epson driver.
>>
>> I also notice that a Generic USB Hub (v1.1, I think) will not work
>> either on the A8V (but does on the KT600).
>>
>> The Epson site suggests there are problems with VIA USB drivers.
>>
>> On the A8V-E I have XP Pro SP2, loads of disk space and 1Gb mem.
>>
>> However, I have an HP mouse, an ADSL modem, and funnily enough, an
>> Epson Perfection 610 scanner that all work perfectly through the
>> normal USB connection.
>>
>> Anyone tell me what is going on here probably and more importantly a
>> fix?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Jerry
>
>Now, the funny thing is, the A8V-E uses a 8237R Southbridge,
>while a A7V600 uses a 8237 Southbridge. I think the Southbridge
>chips share a great deal in common, because VIA loves to reuse its
>intellectual property, whether it works right or not.
>
>One difference I see between the two boards, is the A8V-E has a
>frequency configuration setting called "Spread Spectrum", which is
>set to [Auto] by default. Try setting it to [Disabled] and see
>if things improve.
>
>Since the Southbridges are so similar, I don't think this is a
>driver issue. There must be some other environmental factor,
>and spread spectrum appears to be a feature difference between
>boards.
>
>If that doesn't work, another possible obscure fix, is to use
>a USB2 hub. If you already own one of these, then by all means
>test it. Otherwise, don't waste the money buying a new one,
>because the odds that this will fix the problem, are pretty
>slim indeed. The reason a USB2 hub is superior, is because it
>reclocks the data, and a USB2 hub can act as a jitter filter,
>for any USB peripheral devices that violates allowed jitter
>limits for USB data. There was an Nvidia chipset that suffered
>from jitter intolerance, and I'm not aware of any other chipset
>company than Nvidia, having a problem like that.
>
>Also, if you own a PCI USB card, try stuffing that into the
>computer, and see if the devices work properly when connected
>to an interface like that. Chances are, a PCI USB card would
>make for a cheaper solution than a USB2 hub, and is more likely
>to fix the problem.
>
> Paul

Well, I disabled Spread Spectrum - makes no difference. I don't have
the other things you are suggesting :-(

Are you saying I should buy a PCI USB card? Surely, the Board is
broken (not of merchantable quality) in some way.

--
Martin

Paul

Splendid

In article <skl5b1tshlri73n2tjp4j9g9tp88jfvm5a@4ax.com>, Jerry
> [...]

> >reclocks the data, and a USB2 hub can act as a jitter filter,
> >for any USB peripheral devices that violates allowed jitter
> >limits for USB data. There was an Nvidia chipset that suffered
> >from jitter intolerance, and I'm not aware of any other chipset
> >company than Nvidia, having a problem like that.
> >
> >Also, if you own a PCI USB card, try stuffing that into the
> >computer, and see if the devices work properly when connected
> >to an interface like that. Chances are, a PCI USB card would
> >make for a cheaper solution than a USB2 hub, and is more likely
> >to fix the problem.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Well, I disabled Spread Spectrum - makes no difference. I don't have
> the other things you are suggesting :-(
>
> Are you saying I should buy a PCI USB card? Surely, the Board is
> broken (not of merchantable quality) in some way.

When I make suggestions, I am looking for two things. One is, I'm
trying to find a cost effective workaround. Second thing is, I'm
looking for more symptoms, and how changing some conditions results
in a better or worse result. That is intended to help narrow down
what the problem might be, whether it is hardware or software.

If you want to return the motherboard, and your country's retail
laws allow it, that is certainly an option. There is no reason
to accept goods broken by design or by manufacture.

Have you tried the USB adapter plate and cable included in the
motherboard box ? Perhaps a different port will work better ?
There are two headers on the motherboard, that the adapter
plate can be connected to.

As near as I can tell, the R300 claims to have a USB 2.0 port on
it for connecting the computer. Now, whether it is truly USB 2.0
or Epson is just claiming it is "compatible" with USB 2.0, is
anyone's guess.

Printers and scanners are known to be cranky devices, when it
comes to I/O issues. Have a look in Google, to see if there
is any mention of troubles similar to yours:

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.periphs.printers/browse_frm/thread/ff5d3872c15c58e2/dca9d247133926e5

http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax/browse_frm/thread/2b22038b41f141ce/e1113aa3aac730b9

You could also try cleaning out USB entries and get Windows
to rediscover them. Disconnect the printer. Uninstall the
Epson software. Then visit USBman.org:

http://usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

Cleanup in Safe Mode:
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Cleanup%20Device%20Manager%20Safe%20Mode.htm

After cleanup and rebooting into normal mode, verify everything
is back in Device Manager, then reinstall the Epson
software. Plug in the printer and test it.

Paul