ASUS A8N-E

Anyone have good or bad expereinces with the ASUS A8N-E?

Can't decide between the DFI NF4 Ultra D and the ASUS A8N-E.

I don't want an SLI board, I do plan to OC some, but not the bleeding edge,
really don't want a VIA or SIS chipset and the computer will be a game
machine + Office Work and surfing.

I want stable, relaible and mild OC ... (220 -> 250 Mhz).

I already have a AMD FX-53 CPU and it's wating for a home.

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about asus

    "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone have good or bad expereinces with the ASUS A8N-E?
    >
    > Can't decide between the DFI NF4 Ultra D and the ASUS A8N-E.
    >
    > I don't want an SLI board, I do plan to OC some, but not the bleeding
    > edge, really don't want a VIA or SIS chipset and the computer will be a
    > game machine + Office Work and surfing.
    >
    > I want stable, relaible and mild OC ... (220 -> 250 Mhz).
    >
    > I already have a AMD FX-53 CPU and it's wating for a home.
    >
    > Thanks

    I've been very satisfied with mine, not one problem in the three months I've
    had it.
    I'm running an HTT of 240, CPU Multi of 10, and HTT Multi of 4 with a 3200
    and it's stable.
    From powering on to full boot is 42 seconds.

    HTH,
    john

    > Anyone have good or bad expereinces with the ASUS A8N-E?
    >
    > Can't decide between the DFI NF4 Ultra D and the ASUS A8N-E.
    >
    > I don't want an SLI board, I do plan to OC some, but not the bleeding
    > edge, really don't want a VIA or SIS chipset and the computer will be a
    > game machine + Office Work and surfing.
    >
    > I want stable, relaible and mild OC ... (220 -> 250 Mhz).
    >
    > I already have a AMD FX-53 CPU and it's wating for a home.
    >
    > Thanks

    I've had one for over 3 months and haven't had any problems with it other
    than not being able to install some of the Asus utilities. I don't
    overclock. Before I buy another one though I would
    find out why Newegg has stopped selling new ones(they do sell refurbished).

    A8N-E
    Athlon64 3200+ (Winchester)
    2x512 Corsair VS DDR pc3200
    2xWD Raptor 73 GB Hard Drives
    eVGA 6600GT Video Card
    Samsung TS-H552U DVD Writer
    Antec Plusview case
    500 Watt PS
    Windows XP Home
    Gentoo Linux

    "Macon Hedrick" <macmanhed@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I'm thinking about this board as well. I've not read anything negative on
    > it. It is strange that NewEgg no longer hasit. Maybe they are out of
    > stock. ZipZoomFly.com has it. If anyone has had any bad experiences with
    > this board, please post.

    Asus is in the process of changing out the chipset HSF because the old one
    made too much noise and was prone to failure. That may explain why Newegg is
    out of stock. Asus will ship a new HSF if you have an old one, if you call
    their support line. Same problem with the SLI version. I replaced mine with
    a Zalman HS anyway to make it quieter.

    I have had no problems with my A8N-E. I am very impressed after having many
    problems with a VIA 890 Pro chipset board that I had to RMA.

    Thanks for all the info everyone ...
    As far as the North Bridge fan goes .. I've had AUS boards before and the NB
    fan has a tendancy to give out early, and will make noises .. so it's just
    not this model. As some one pointed out though .. if you contact ASUS they
    will sned you a replacemnt fan, if they have one.

    > Thanks for all the info everyone ...
    > As far as the North Bridge fan goes .. I've had AUS boards before and the
    > NB fan has a tendancy to give out early, and will make noises .. so it's
    > just not this model. As some one pointed out though .. if you contact
    > ASUS they will sned you a replacemnt fan, if they have one.

    Asus is replacing the HSF with one which is larger, and can run slower RPM,
    which decreases noise and increases reliability.
    http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19902&start=131

    But I replaced mine with a Zalman HS anyway with an 80mm Panaflo L1A running
    at 5V just to right (out of the picture).
    http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19902&start=65

    Very interesting ... and thanks, it looks like ASUS is addresing the NB fan
    problem.

    One day I decide I'm going to get the DFI NF4 Ultra D and the next day it is
    this A8N-E. I suppose you can't really go wrong with either board.

    > "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for all the info everyone ...
    >> As far as the North Bridge fan goes .. I've had AUS boards before and the
    >> NB fan has a tendancy to give out early, and will make noises .. so it's
    >> just not this model. As some one pointed out though .. if you contact
    >> ASUS they will sned you a replacemnt fan, if they have one.
    >>
    > Asus is replacing the HSF with one which is larger, and can run slower
    > RPM, which decreases noise and increases reliability.
    > http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19902&start=131
    >
    > But I replaced mine with a Zalman HS anyway with an 80mm Panaflo L1A
    > running at 5V just to right (out of the picture).
    > http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19902&start=65

    Nothing but good exspierences here I've had mine for four months now and on
    adverage I have it running about 10 hours a day.
    I haven't had any problems since I fixed the SATA problem when I first got
    it.
    I play Half Life 2 Far Cry Doom 3 Unreal Tourney 04
    A8N -Deluxe
    3000 939 CPU
    2xCrusial 3200 512 DDR stips
    2x WD 79gig Raptors SATA
    1 Maxtor 180 gig SATA
    Plextor DVD Burner SATA
    GF 6800 Ultra.
    Sonata Antec case
    Enermax 580w Server PS
    Wondoze XP Pro
    Rock solid system

    "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Anyone have good or bad expereinces with the ASUS A8N-E?
    >
    > Can't decide between the DFI NF4 Ultra D and the ASUS A8N-E.
    >
    > I don't want an SLI board, I do plan to OC some, but not the bleeding
    > edge, really don't want a VIA or SIS chipset and the computer will be a
    > game machine + Office Work and surfing.
    >
    > I want stable, relaible and mild OC ... (220 -> 250 Mhz).
    >
    > I already have a AMD FX-53 CPU and it's wating for a home.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks for the good words...

    What kind of SATA problems did you have?
    Some one was telling me that had problms installing their Plextor SATA in an
    A8N-SLI board.

    I'm going to use a Seagate SATA - 300 Gig and a 200 Gig WD IDE
    I plan on going with a IDE CD/DVD combo Pioneer A07
    1 Gig OCZ PC3500 Plat
    HIS X800XL
    Antec 3000B
    FX 53 - W ith a XP 90 CPU Cooler
    PC Power & Cooling 470 Watt Silencer
    Logitech Z2300 speakers .. can't find the Z-2200's anymore
    XP Home
    Teac Floppy

    "S.O.S.D.D" <metomlinson@@@@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Nothing but good exspierences here I've had mine for four months now and
    > on adverage I have it running about 10 hours a day.
    > I haven't had any problems since I fixed the SATA problem when I first got
    > it.
    > I play Half Life 2 Far Cry Doom 3 Unreal Tourney 04
    > A8N -Deluxe
    > 3000 939 CPU
    > 2xCrusial 3200 512 DDR stips
    > 2x WD 79gig Raptors SATA
    > 1 Maxtor 180 gig SATA
    > Plextor DVD Burner SATA
    > GF 6800 Ultra.
    > Sonata Antec case
    > Enermax 580w Server PS
    > Wondoze XP Pro
    > Rock solid system
    >
    > "Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Anyone have good or bad expereinces with the ASUS A8N-E?
    >>
    >> Can't decide between the DFI NF4 Ultra D and the ASUS A8N-E.
    >>
    >> I don't want an SLI board, I do plan to OC some, but not the bleeding
    >> edge, really don't want a VIA or SIS chipset and the computer will be a
    >> game machine + Office Work and surfing.
    >>
    >> I want stable, relaible and mild OC ... (220 -> 250 Mhz).
    >>
    >> I already have a AMD FX-53 CPU and it's wating for a home.
    >>
    >> Thanks

Asus Motherboards