AMD64 X2 processors and Pentium D now IN STOCK at Newegg

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

AMD64 X2 4600+ $859
AMD64 X2 4400+ $639

(limit 1 per customer)
OEM only at the moment. The boxed
versions are due early July

===========================

Pentium D: 820 $291.99 (limit 5)
830 $399.99 (limit 5)
840 $649.99 (limit 2)

Extreme 840 $1,154.99 (limit 5 )

All boxed versions.

Don't forget the beefed up power supply requirements
for the Intel dual-cores, specifically the +12V.

John Lewis
17 answers Last reply
More about amd64 processors pentium stock newegg
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:52:18 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >AMD64 X2 4600+ $859
    >AMD64 X2 4400+ $639
    >
    >(limit 1 per customer)
    >OEM only at the moment. The boxed
    >versions are due early July

    Motherboards with Via K8T890 need not apply.....

    Power requirements of the fastest part ( the 4800+,
    not yet in stock ) is no greater than that of the 130nm
    A64 4000 ( Rev D or earlier ), or the FX-53.

    >===========================
    >
    >Pentium D: 820 $291.99 (limit 5)
    > 830 $399.99 (limit 5)
    > 840 $649.99 (limit 2)
    >
    > Extreme 840 $1,154.99 (limit 5 )
    >
    >All boxed versions.
    >
    >Don't forget the beefed up power supply requirements
    >for the Intel dual-cores, specifically the +12V.

    ..... oh, I completely forgot the new motherboard. Add
    another $150 to $200 ( plus power supply )

    John Lewis

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 05:22:42 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 03:52:18 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>AMD64 X2 4600+ $859
    >>AMD64 X2 4400+ $639
    >>
    >>(limit 1 per customer)
    >>OEM only at the moment. The boxed
    >>versions are due early July
    >>

    >Motherboards with Via K8T890 need not apply.....
    >
    >Power requirements of the fastest part ( the 4800+,
    >not yet in stock ) is no greater than that of the 130nm
    >A64 4000 ( Rev D or earlier ), or the FX-53.

    Also, does anyone know what Asus boards have currently-available BIOS
    versions to support these AMD X2's?

    >>===========================
    >>
    >>Pentium D: 820 $291.99 (limit 5)
    >> 830 $399.99 (limit 5)
    >> 840 $649.99 (limit 2)
    >>
    >> Extreme 840 $1,154.99 (limit 5 )
    >>
    >>All boxed versions.
    >>
    >>Don't forget the beefed up power supply requirements
    >>for the Intel dual-cores, specifically the +12V.
    >>

    >.... oh, I completely forgot the new motherboard. Add
    >another $150 to $200 ( plus power supply )
    >
    >John Lewis

    Ron

    Yes, this information si available on Asus site.

    > Also, does anyone know what Asus boards have currently-available BIOS
    > versions to support these AMD X2's?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:
    > AMD64 X2 4600+ $859

    I currently have a FX-55. Any idea how much improvement I would see?

    Thanks...
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:46:54 GMT, Smart Feet <smartfeet@yourshoes.com>
    wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >> AMD64 X2 4600+ $859
    >

    >I currently have a FX-55. Any idea how much improvement I would see?

    None on gaming - at the moment. Unless the game multithreads and is
    happy to run with a second processor. Very few - trial and error. Once
    dual-cores are well-established, expect to see alternate builds or
    patches for multiprocessors ( a la the 64-bit patch for Far Cry ).
    Pro applications that multithread and can support multi-processors
    obviously will benefit. Video editors, for example...

    Your FX-55 should serve you very well for a long time yet. And since
    the multipliers are unlocked, your overclocking opportunities are
    potentially greater than the A64 series.

    >Thanks...

    You're welcome.

    John Lewis
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >> AMD64 X2 4600+ $859
    >

    >I currently have a FX-55. Any idea how much improvement I would see?
    >
    >Thanks...

    Not much, unless your software can take advantage of the dual core.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2419&p=3

    Talks about real world x2 and D performance.

    Gollum
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Do you really think those prices will last long.
    Besides the dual P4 and Dual A64 are different animals. The Dual P4 is two
    cpu's "glued" together. The A64's are much more integrated with memory.

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:17:37 +0200, "Zeneca" <jl.garate@euskalnet.net>
    wrote:

    >Yes, this information si available on Asus site.

    I need your help. I could fine nothing in a search of the Asus Web
    site's "News" about AMD dual-core boards. They mention an Intel-based
    board that's ready but no Athlon models.
    I reviewed all the socket 939 boards and none of the information about
    CPU compatibility mentions any that are X2-ready.
    Where is this information you speak of?

    wrote:

    >Yes, this information si available on Asus site.

    I haven't found it on the Asus site, but I did find a Usenet statement
    that X2 support is included in the 1010 BIOS for the A8N-SLI. I
    haven't been able to verify that yet because the lousy Asus Web site
    is so flaky that I can't access the Support pages.

    wrote:

    >Yes, this information si available on Asus site.

    Right, I finally found it on the global Asus site. (I made the
    mistake first of checking the US Asus site which is not nearly as
    up-to-date.)
    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    It turns out that the latest BIOS versions for all members of the A8N
    and A8V families of motherboards have X2 support.
    The new A8N-SLI Premium with the heat-pipe cooling of the southbridge
    is labeled as X2 compatible from it's earliest version. I was lucky
    enough to score one of these at Monarch.com as Newegg doesn't have
    them listed yet.

    Now, if I could figure out what the X2 is good for other than
    benchmarking . . . .

    >> Also, does anyone know what Asus boards have currently-available BIOS
    >> versions to support these AMD X2's?

    Ron

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:07:18 GMT, milleron
    <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

    >On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:17:37 +0200, "Zeneca" <jl.garate@euskalnet.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Yes, this information si available on Asus site.
    >
    >Right, I finally found it on the global Asus site. (I made the
    >mistake first of checking the US Asus site which is not nearly as
    >up-to-date.)
    >http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    >
    >It turns out that the latest BIOS versions for all members of the A8N
    >and A8V families of motherboards have X2 support.
    >The new A8N-SLI Premium with the heat-pipe cooling of the southbridge
    >is labeled as X2 compatible from it's earliest version. I was lucky
    >enough to score one of these at Monarch.com as Newegg doesn't have
    >them listed yet.

    Newegg just listed the A8N-SLI Premium in the few hours since my last
    post http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540

    Ron

    In article <44i8b1le25dhldq0mm1lg95t8d719kutgr@4ax.com>,
    miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:07:18 GMT, milleron
    > <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:17:37 +0200, "Zeneca" <jl.garate@euskalnet.net>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>Yes, this information si available on Asus site.
    > >
    > >Right, I finally found it on the global Asus site. (I made the
    > >mistake first of checking the US Asus site which is not nearly as
    > >up-to-date.)
    > >http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    > >
    > >It turns out that the latest BIOS versions for all members of the A8N
    > >and A8V families of motherboards have X2 support.
    > >The new A8N-SLI Premium with the heat-pipe cooling of the southbridge
    > >is labeled as X2 compatible from it's earliest version. I was lucky
    > >enough to score one of these at Monarch.com as Newegg doesn't have
    > >them listed yet.
    >
    > Newegg just listed the A8N-SLI Premium in the few hours since my last
    > post http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540
    >

    > Ron

    When you get that board running, tell us how hot that heatsink
    at the end of the heatpipe gets.

    Paul

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:43:21 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <44i8b1le25dhldq0mm1lg95t8d719kutgr@4ax.com>,
    >miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:07:18 GMT, milleron
    >> <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

    >> >Right, I finally found it on the global Asus site. (I made the
    >> >mistake first of checking the US Asus site which is not nearly as
    >> >up-to-date.)
    >> >http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    >> >
    >> >It turns out that the latest BIOS versions for all members of the A8N
    >> >and A8V families of motherboards have X2 support.
    >> >The new A8N-SLI Premium with the heat-pipe cooling of the southbridge
    >> >is labeled as X2 compatible from it's earliest version. I was lucky
    >> >enough to score one of these at Monarch.com as Newegg doesn't have
    >> >them listed yet.
    >>
    >> Newegg just listed the A8N-SLI Premium in the few hours since my last
    >> post http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540

    >When you get that board running, tell us how hot that heatsink
    >at the end of the heatpipe gets.
    >
    > Paul

    I'll sure post a subjective "measurement." I don't have the
    instrumentation to give a precise one. Mine will have a large
    Thermalright XP120 right over it with the 120mm heatsink fan blowing
    right on it, so it 'll be actively cooled.
    The rig should be up and running in about 7 days if Newegg and Monarch
    are speedy.

    Ron

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:15:50 GMT, milleron
    <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

    >On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:07:18 GMT, milleron
    ><millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:17:37 +0200, "Zeneca" <jl.garate@euskalnet.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes, this information si available on Asus site.
    >>
    >>Right, I finally found it on the global Asus site. (I made the
    >>mistake first of checking the US Asus site which is not nearly as
    >>up-to-date.)
    >>http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    >>
    >>It turns out that the latest BIOS versions for all members of the A8N
    >>and A8V families of motherboards have X2 support.
    >>The new A8N-SLI Premium with the heat-pipe cooling of the southbridge
    >>is labeled as X2 compatible from it's earliest version. I was lucky
    >>enough to score one of these at Monarch.com as Newegg doesn't have
    >>them listed yet.
    >
    >Newegg just listed the A8N-SLI Premium in the few hours since my last
    >post http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540

    WARNING: There is a unique Catch 22 in the Premium BIOS
    that was not fixed till BIOS version 1005 ( 2 June 2005 )-- if I
    recall correctly; the Asus Global website is down for
    "synchronization" at the moment

    If you install a X2 with a previous BIOS, you cannot update
    the BIOS.... Only confined to X2, other versions OK !.

    A very nice Catch 22.....unless you have a spare 939 Athlon
    non-X2 still lying around.

    If you only intend to load an X2 and not mess wirh swapping
    processors, then check my facts with the ( Global web-site )
    A8N-SLI Premium BIOS docs BEFORE ordering the board --
    and then check with Newegg. If Newegg don't know the Bios
    version, I would suggest holding off purchase until Newegg
    exhaust the current stock and re-order. You should be safe
    batches that arrive in July.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:43:21 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <44i8b1le25dhldq0mm1lg95t8d719kutgr@4ax.com>,
    >miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:07:18 GMT, milleron
    >> <millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu> wrote:

    >> >Right, I finally found it on the global Asus site. (I made the
    >> >mistake first of checking the US Asus site which is not nearly as
    >> >up-to-date.)
    >> >http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    >> >
    >> >It turns out that the latest BIOS versions for all members of the A8N
    >> >and A8V families of motherboards have X2 support.
    >> >The new A8N-SLI Premium with the heat-pipe cooling of the southbridge
    >> >is labeled as X2 compatible from it's earliest version. I was lucky
    >> >enough to score one of these at Monarch.com as Newegg doesn't have
    >> >them listed yet.
    >>
    >> Newegg just listed the A8N-SLI Premium in the few hours since my last
    >> post http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540
    >>

    >> Ron
    >
    >When you get that board running, tell us how hot that heatsink
    >at the end of the heatpipe gets.
    >
    > Paul

    OK, I have it working while sitting on its antistatic bag on my
    benchtop. All that's hooked up is the XP120 HSF, a fanless,
    heat-pipe-cooled Gigabyte Radeon X800XL, the gig of Corsair 2-2-2-5
    RAM, and a floppy drive. The following observations are with the
    motherboard sitting in the BIOS setup program -- i.e., no load at all
    on the CPU or southbridge.
    I couldn't believe it, but I had to touch the southbridge for several
    seconds to be sure that it was warmer than room temperature. It is,
    but just barely. The heatpipe between the southbridge is literally
    cool to the touch, and the heatsink, located way over behind the CPU
    socket, is cool to the touch. The heatsinks on the video card are
    cool to the touch. The 120mm fan on the XP120 is essentially
    noiseless at 1900 RPM. The heatpipes and fins of the XP120 are cool
    to the touch. BIOS hardware monitor reports the CPU to be 23°C under
    these conditions

    I'll report further when I get the rig mounted in it's case with all
    the drives hooked up and the CPU under load.

    Ron
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    In article <t96kb1t5rtg6cilbmfbfbr5r8ejchnkmem@4ax.com>,
    miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:

    > >When you get that board running, tell us how hot that heatsink
    > >at the end of the heatpipe gets.
    > >
    > > Paul
    >
    > OK, I have it working while sitting on its antistatic bag on my
    > benchtop. All that's hooked up is the XP120 HSF, a fanless,
    > heat-pipe-cooled Gigabyte Radeon X800XL, the gig of Corsair 2-2-2-5
    > RAM, and a floppy drive. The following observations are with the
    > motherboard sitting in the BIOS setup program -- i.e., no load at all
    > on the CPU or southbridge.
    > I couldn't believe it, but I had to touch the southbridge for several
    > seconds to be sure that it was warmer than room temperature. It is,
    > but just barely. The heatpipe between the southbridge is literally
    > cool to the touch, and the heatsink, located way over behind the CPU
    > socket, is cool to the touch. The heatsinks on the video card are
    > cool to the touch. The 120mm fan on the XP120 is essentially
    > noiseless at 1900 RPM. The heatpipes and fins of the XP120 are cool
    > to the touch. BIOS hardware monitor reports the CPU to be 23°C under
    > these conditions
    >
    > I'll report further when I get the rig mounted in it's case with all
    > the drives hooked up and the CPU under load.
    >

    > Ron

    I'm impressed. I figured that contraption would be a disaster.
    Guess I was wrong.

    Paul
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:39:22 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    >In article <t96kb1t5rtg6cilbmfbfbr5r8ejchnkmem@4ax.com>,
    >miller.90@spamlessosu.edu wrote:
    >

    >> >When you get that board running, tell us how hot that heatsink
    >> >at the end of the heatpipe gets.
    >> >
    >> > Paul
    >>
    >> OK, I have it working while sitting on its antistatic bag on my
    >> benchtop. All that's hooked up is the XP120 HSF, a fanless,
    >> heat-pipe-cooled Gigabyte Radeon X800XL, the gig of Corsair 2-2-2-5
    >> RAM, and a floppy drive. The following observations are with the
    >> motherboard sitting in the BIOS setup program -- i.e., no load at all
    >> on the CPU or southbridge.
    >> I couldn't believe it, but I had to touch the southbridge for several
    >> seconds to be sure that it was warmer than room temperature. It is,
    >> but just barely. The heatpipe between the southbridge is literally
    >> cool to the touch, and the heatsink, located way over behind the CPU
    >> socket, is cool to the touch. The heatsinks on the video card are
    >> cool to the touch. The 120mm fan on the XP120 is essentially
    >> noiseless at 1900 RPM. The heatpipes and fins of the XP120 are cool
    >> to the touch. BIOS hardware monitor reports the CPU to be 23°C under
    >> these conditions
    >>
    >> I'll report further when I get the rig mounted in it's case with all
    >> the drives hooked up and the CPU under load.
    >>

    >> Ron
    >
    >I'm impressed. I figured that contraption would be a disaster.
    >Guess I was wrong.
    >
    > Paul

    I'm presuming that the metal heatpipe connector atop the chipset is
    approximately the same temperature as the chipset. If it is, then,
    yes, it works very well.

    There is word on the Asus forums, however, that it works only in the
    horizontal and traditional vertical positions. There are some Lian Li
    cases that mount the motherboard against the opposite wall of the
    case, thus turning the mobo upside down. In spite of the fact that
    the heatpipe still runs mainly horizontally in this configuration, one
    person there has reported that the chipset "overheats rapidly" in the
    Lian Li V2100 case. For some reason, I'm skeptical about that report,
    but I thought it best to pass it along for what it's worth.

    Traditional positioning of the heatpipe:

    Heatsink
    \
    chipset

    Position in V2100:

    chipset

    Heatsink

    Ron

Asus Pentium Processors Motherboards Product