HDD recommendations for new mainbaord

Hi,

I have recently purchased the P5GD1 Pro
(http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=24&model=163&modelmenu=1
) mainboard, and today I'm about to add the HDD, CD-ROM & CD-RW, and
realised there is only _one_ IDE controller. (... doh).

The HDD is not a Serial ATA, I thought it would do, only a few months
old, 80Gb, but IDE, the 'old' type. I really do need to use that single
IDE controller for the CD-ROM and CD-RW, so my options were to either
buy an IDE card ($40), or a new SATA 80Gb HDD for $89. My thinking is
why mess around with an IDE card, when for another $49, I can get the
new type of HDD's, and also use RAID with it. I can't see any need at
all for using additional older drives, hence no real perceived need for
the IDE card, besides the 120Gb SATA at $110 seems even better value
(more Gb / dollar).

I haven't been able to research much into ATA hard drives, and only so
far, am looking at either one of these two:

* Western Digital IDE 120Gb 7200RPM ATA-100
* Seagate IDE 120Gb 7200RPM ATA-100

Can someone recommend which one would be better, or possibly some other
make/models can be recommended please ?

Thanks,

Peter

On 17 Jun 2005 07:28:13 -0700, "jehoshua777" <jehoshua77@yahoo.com> managed to
one finger type the following:

>Hi,
>
>I have recently purchased the P5GD1 Pro
>(http://au.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=24&model=163&modelmenu=1
>) mainboard, and today I'm about to add the HDD, CD-ROM & CD-RW, and
>realised there is only _one_ IDE controller. (... doh).
>
>The HDD is not a Serial ATA, I thought it would do, only a few months
>old, 80Gb, but IDE, the 'old' type. I really do need to use that single
>IDE controller for the CD-ROM and CD-RW, so my options were to either
>buy an IDE card ($40), or a new SATA 80Gb HDD for $89. My thinking is
>why mess around with an IDE card, when for another $49, I can get the
>new type of HDD's, and also use RAID with it. I can't see any need at
>all for using additional older drives, hence no real perceived need for
>the IDE card, besides the 120Gb SATA at $110 seems even better value
>(more Gb / dollar).
>
>I haven't been able to research much into ATA hard drives, and only so
>far, am looking at either one of these two:
>
>* Western Digital IDE 120Gb 7200RPM ATA-100
>* Seagate IDE 120Gb 7200RPM ATA-100
>
>Can someone recommend which one would be better, or possibly some other
>make/models can be recommended please ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Peter

Well actually you can get 4 devices on one IDE

Primary....master and slave
Secondary...master and slave
"De Oppresso Liber"
From Oppression Liberate

jroc® 7th Special Forces Ft.Bragg N.C 18/Bravo
****only thing easy in life is failure****
*******so get tough*******

Hi,

jroc wrote:

> Well actually you can get 4 devices on one IDE
>
> Primary....master and slave
> Secondary...master and slave

As stated in my original post, the mainboard only has one IDE
controller, so I cannot get 4 devices via that controller, only 2,
because it only has a primary IDE controller, ... no secondary at all.

The controllers that come with this mainboard are 4 SATA controllers,
in addition to the single IDE controller.

Can anyone recommend a Serial ATA 120Gb hard drive please.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Peter,

peterk wrote:
> the 2 that you listed are NOT SATA
> SATA drives are listed as SATA drives with a 150speed rating.ATA is a
> speed...ata100/ata133/ata66
> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=109&subminorcatid=63
> See how all the drives say SATA.......thats what your looking for
> I use a couple of Western Digitals 120 in my machine and they work great

Okay, thanks for the correction there, I thought those two were SATA.
I'm glad you responded now, because I was waiting on final prices, but
now will ask for prices on the Western Digital 120 that you use, and
also the Seagate 120, both of the ones shown on that website as SATA.

No doubt the faster speed rating will help, I'd like to set the drive
up as a RAID if I can work out how to do it.

Thanks,

Peter

the 2 that you listed are NOT SATA
SATA drives are listed as SATA drives with a 150speed rating.ATA is a
speed...ata100/ata133/ata66
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=109&subminorcatid=63
See how all the drives say SATA.......thats what your looking for
I use a couple of Western Digitals 120 in my machine and they work great
peterk

the problem
"jehoshua777" <jehoshua77@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> jroc wrote:
>
>> Well actually you can get 4 devices on one IDE
>>
>> Primary....master and slave
>> Secondary...master and slave
>
> As stated in my original post, the mainboard only has one IDE
> controller, so I cannot get 4 devices via that controller, only 2,
> because it only has a primary IDE controller, ... no secondary at all.
>
> The controllers that come with this mainboard are 4 SATA controllers,
> in addition to the single IDE controller.
>
> Can anyone recommend a Serial ATA 120Gb hard drive please.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

I am not familiar with your board but on mine it says to use 2 SATA HD that
are the same before attempting RAID.
Since I have no intention of using RAID I just bought another SATA drive a
Seagate Barracuda120 for 99.00 $can.
The drives are rated at that speed but I doubt if that speed is attained
continously.