BAD BIOS CHECKSUM. STARTING RECOVERY

I HAVE ASUS K8S-MV BOARD WITH 80 GB HDD SEGATE 256 MB RAM 400 MHZ AMD
64 3000+ PROSSESOR AND 350 W SMPS WHEN I ON THE COMPUTER IT SHOWS BAD
BIOS CHECKSUM. STARTING RECOVERY . I TRY EVRY THING. I REPLACED BORD 4
TIMES FROM S C PLZZZZZZZZ HELP ME WHAT I DO WHAT IUS WORNG IN IT IS
HDD IS WORNG RAM OR PROSSESOR

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-BAD-BIOS-CHECKSUM-STARTING-RECOVERY-ftopict57579.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=290213
12 answers Last reply
More about bios checksum starting recovery

    It is telling you the bios file is bad and must be replaced. If your board
    has crash free bios you can load it from floppy or the CD that came with the
    board

    From: "knopper" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com>

    | I HAVE ASUS K8S-MV BOARD WITH 80 GB HDD SEGATE 256 MB RAM 400 MHZ AMD
    | 64 3000+ PROSSESOR AND 350 W SMPS WHEN I ON THE COMPUTER IT SHOWS BAD
    | BIOS CHECKSUM. STARTING RECOVERY . I TRY EVRY THING. I REPLACED BORD 4
    | TIMES FROM S C PLZZZZZZZZ HELP ME WHAT I DO WHAT IUS WORNG IN IT IS
    | HDD IS WORNG RAM OR PROSSESOR
    |
    | --
    | Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
    | Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    | Topic URL:
    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-BAD-BIOS-CHECKSUM-STARTING-RECOVERY-ftopict57579.html
    | Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=290213

    Looks like you also have a broken "Caps Lock" key and your keyboard is dropping letters.
    You should fix that first !

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    In article <7_290213_f061234c442bc7f416561def0f300b7c@hardwareforumz.com>,
    knopper <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

    > I HAVE ASUS K8S-MV BOARD WITH 80 GB HDD SEGATE 256 MB RAM 400 MHZ AMD
    > 64 3000+ PROSSESOR AND 350 W SMPS WHEN I ON THE COMPUTER IT SHOWS BAD
    > BIOS CHECKSUM. STARTING RECOVERY . I TRY EVRY THING. I REPLACED BORD 4
    > TIMES FROM S C PLZZZZZZZZ HELP ME WHAT I DO WHAT IUS WORNG IN IT IS
    > HDD IS WORNG RAM OR PROSSESOR

    You don't say exactly what model of processor you are using.
    Try going to the cpusupport web page, enter your model number
    "K8S-MX", and see what BIOS revision is needed to support your
    processor.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    CPU PCB BIOS
    Model Rev. Rev.

    Athlon 64 2800+ (Socket754)   ALL ALL
    Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket754)   ALL ALL
    Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket754)   ALL ALL
    Athlon 64 3400+ (Socket754)   ALL ALL
    Athlon 64 3700+ (Socket754)   ALL ALL
    Sempron 2600+ (rev.D) (no CnQ) (Socket754)   1.02 1008A
    Sempron 2600+ (rev.E) (no CnQ) (Socket754)   ALL 1009
    Sempron 2800+ (rev.D) (no CnQ) (Socket754)   1.02 1007
    Sempron 2800+ (rev.E) (no CnQ) (Socket754)   ALL 1009
    Sempron 3000+ (rev.D) (Socket754)   1.02 1008A
    Sempron 3000+ (rev.E) (Socket754)   ALL 1009
    Sempron 3100+ (CG version) (Socket754)   ALL 1005
    Sempron 3100+ (rev.D) (Socket754)   ALL 1005
    Sempron 3100+ (rev.E) (Socket754)   ALL 1009
    Sempron 3300+ (rev.D) (Socket754)   1.02 1007
    Sempron 3300+ (rev.E) (Socket754)   ALL 1009

    What that tells you, is if you bought a Athlon64, it will be
    trouble-free. If you bought a Sempron, you will need to check
    two things on the motherboard. The "PCB Rev" is printed next
    to the model name "K8S-MX", next to the video slot. If you
    look at the socketed flash chip, there will be a paper label
    stuck to the top, and the factory release number of the BIOS will
    be printed on there. The numbers in the list above are the
    minimum PCB Revision and BIOS release number for that processor.
    For example, if you had a Sempron 3000+, the PCB revision must
    be 1.02 or later, and the BIOS release must be 1008A or later.

    If you cannot meet the minimum requirements, you will either need
    to borrow an Athlon64 processor, for long enough to flash upgrade
    the BIOS. Perhaps the shop you bought the motherboard from, can
    help with that. The other option, is to buy a BIOS flash chip from
    badflash.com, with the latest BIOS installed in the chip.

    Since the CrashFree code seems to be running on your board, you
    could also try the following:

    1) Using another computer, download the latest release BIOS:
    ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/mb/sock754/k8s-mx/k8smx010.zip
    2) Unzip the file.
    3) Rename the file k8smx010.ami to K8S-MX.ROM
    4) Format a floppy diskette and place the K8S-MX.ROM file on it.
    5) Start the new computer. When "starting BIOS recovery" appears,
    insert the floppy diskette into the floppy drive.
    6) Wait until the flash upgrade is complete (3 minutes ?).

    If you don't have a floppy drive, then burn a CDROM containing
    the K8S-MX.ROM file at the root level, and insert that in the
    new computer.

    HTH,
    Paul

    "Paul4" wrote:
> [...]
    > from
    > badflash.com, with the latest BIOS installed in the chip.
    >
    > Since the CrashFree code seems to be running on your board,
    > you
    > could also try the following:
    >
    > 1) Using another computer, download the latest release BIOS:
    > ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/asus/mb/sock754/k8s-mx/k8smx010.zip
    > 2) Unzip the file.
    > 3) Rename the file k8smx010.ami to K8S-MX.ROM
    > 4) Format a floppy diskette and place the K8S-MX.ROM file on
    > it.
    > 5) Start the new computer. When "starting BIOS recovery"
    > appears,
    > insert the floppy diskette into the floppy drive.
    > 6) Wait until the flash upgrade is complete (3 minutes ?).
    >
    > If you don't have a floppy drive, then burn a CDROM containing
    > the K8S-MX.ROM file at the root level, and insert that in the

    YA I HAVE K8S-MX WITH AMD 3000+ ATHLON 2GHZ I AM NEW BIZ IN THIS PLZ
    TELL ME STEP BY STEP

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-BAD-BIOS-CHECKSUM-STARTING-RECOVERY-ftopict57579.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=290687

    "knopper" wrote:
    > YA I HAVE K8S-MX WITH AMD 3000+ ATHLON 2GHZ I AM NEW BIZ IN
    > THIS PLZ TELL ME STEP BY STEP

    I HAVE ASUS K8S-MX BOARD WITH 80 GB HDD SEGATE 256 MB RAM 400 MHZ AMD
    64 3000+ PROSSESOR AND 350 W SMPS WHEN I ON THE COMPUTER IT SHOWS BAD
    BIOS CHECKSUM. STARTING RECOVERY . I TRY EVRY THING. I REPLACED BORD 4
    TIMES FROM S C PLZZZZZZZZ HELP ME WHAT I DO WHAT IUS WORNG IN IT IS
    HDD IS WORNG RAM OR PROSSESORI HAVE ASUS K8S-MV BOARD WITH 80 GB HDD
    SEGATE 256 MB RAM 400 MHZ AMD 64 3000+ PROSSESOR AND 350 W SMPS WHEN I
    ON THE COMPUTER IT SHOWS BAD BIOS CHECKSUM. STARTING RECOVERY . I TRY
    EVRY THING. I REPLACED BORD 4 TIMES FROM S C PLZZZZZZZZ HELP ME WHAT I
    DO WHAT IUS WORNG IN IT IS HDD IS WORNG RAM OR PROSSESOR. I TRY TO
    FLASH WITH K8S-MX.ROM BUT NOTHIG HAPPEN . SCREEN WILL SHOW BAD BIOS
    AGAIN. I REPLACED BOAD 5 TIME IT WILL RUN 1 TIME 2 TIME IT WILL SHOW
    BAD BIOS CHCEKSUM STARTING RECOVERY. BUT NOYHIG HAPPEN I WILL PUT
    DRIVER CD IN CD ROM IT WILL FALSHING AFTER FALSHING IT WILL SHOW POWER
    OFF UR COMPUTER AND RESTART GET UR COPMPUTER BACK BUT NOTHIG HAPPEN.

    U R TRUE FRIEND KNOPPER

    Athlon 64 3000+

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-BAD-BIOS-CHECKSUM-STARTING-RECOVERY-ftopict57579.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=290699

    In article <7_290698_3387345ea97f8f3ed597c80ef479fd13@hardwareforumz.com>,
    knopper <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

    > "knopper" wrote:
    > > YA I HAVE K8S-MX WITH AMD 3000+ ATHLON 2GHZ I AM NEW BIZ IN
    > > THIS PLZ TELL ME STEP BY STEP
    >
    > I HAVE ASUS K8S-MX BOARD WITH 80 GB HDD SEGATE 256 MB RAM 400 MHZ AMD
    > 64 3000+ PROSSESOR AND 350 W SMPS WHEN I ON THE COMPUTER IT SHOWS BAD
    > BIOS CHECKSUM. STARTING RECOVERY . I TRY EVRY THING. I REPLACED BORD 4
    > TIMES FROM S C PLZZZZZZZZ HELP ME WHAT I DO WHAT IUS WORNG IN IT IS
    > HDD IS WORNG RAM OR PROSSESORI HAVE ASUS K8S-MV BOARD WITH 80 GB HDD
    > SEGATE 256 MB RAM 400 MHZ AMD 64 3000+ PROSSESOR AND 350 W SMPS WHEN I
    > ON THE COMPUTER IT SHOWS BAD BIOS CHECKSUM. STARTING RECOVERY . I TRY
    > EVRY THING. I REPLACED BORD 4 TIMES FROM S C PLZZZZZZZZ HELP ME WHAT I
    > DO WHAT IUS WORNG IN IT IS HDD IS WORNG RAM OR PROSSESOR. I TRY TO
    > FLASH WITH K8S-MX.ROM BUT NOTHIG HAPPEN . SCREEN WILL SHOW BAD BIOS
    > AGAIN. I REPLACED BOAD 5 TIME IT WILL RUN 1 TIME 2 TIME IT WILL SHOW
    > BAD BIOS CHCEKSUM STARTING RECOVERY. BUT NOYHIG HAPPEN I WILL PUT
    > DRIVER CD IN CD ROM IT WILL FALSHING AFTER FALSHING IT WILL SHOW POWER
    > OFF UR COMPUTER AND RESTART GET UR COPMPUTER BACK BUT NOTHIG HAPPEN.
    >
    > U R TRUE FRIEND KNOPPER

    Athlon 64 3000+ (Socket754)   ALL ALL

    OK. So we know that any BIOS release should work with your
    processor. So this problem is not caused by the use of
    a Sempron.

    I guess the first question I will ask you, is have you attempted
    to flash the BIOS already ? Are the symptoms you are seeing
    ("starting BIOS recovery") the result of having tried to flash
    the BIOS and the operation failed ? Or is this motherboard
    essentially in the same condition it was in when you removed
    it from the motherboard box ?

    The first thing I would try is "clearing the CMOS". The purpose
    of clearing the CMOS, is to return the CPU clock to its
    normal value. Sometimes a "Starting BIOS recovery" comes
    from accidently overclocking a processor. Section 1.9 of
    your user manual "Clear RTC RAM (CLRTC)" gives a procedure for
    clearing the CMOS. The most important part of that procedure, is
    to _unplug the computer_. That prevents damage to the
    standby power source.

    If you still cannot make any progress, try using only one
    stick of DDR memory, and try the memory in slot 1 and finally
    slot 2. Perhaps the BIOS has an issue with one of the DIMM
    slots.

    Make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan header.

    If the symptoms are still the same, try actually reflashing
    the BIOS. This will likely not function correctly, as if
    you see the "starting BIOS recovery", it likely means that
    all communication with the flash chip is going to be flaky.
    You can try following the procedure in section 2.1.5
    "Recovering the BIOS with CrashFree BIOS 2". See the
    subsection "To recover the BIOS from the support CD",
    as there is a BIOS file on the motherboard CD, and when you
    see "starting BIOS recovery", you place the motherboard CD
    in the CDROM drive, in order that the CrashFree feature
    can read the BIOS file and reflash the BIOS chip.

    Hope that helps,
    Paul

    "knopper" <DoNotEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "knopper" wrote:
    > > YA I HAVE K8S-MX WITH AMD 3000+ ATHLON 2GHZ I AM NEW BIZ IN
    > > THIS PLZ TELL ME STEP BY STEP
    >
    > I HAVE ASUS K8S-MX BOARD WITH 80 GB HDD SEGATE 256 MB RAM 400 MHZ AMD
    > 64 3000+ PROSSESOR AND 350 W SMPS WHEN I ON THE COMPUTER IT SHOWS BAD
    > BIOS CHECKSUM. STARTING RECOVERY . I TRY EVRY THING. I REPLACED BORD 4
    > TIMES FROM S C PLZZZZZZZZ HELP ME WHAT I DO WHAT IUS WORNG IN IT IS
    > HDD IS WORNG RAM OR PROSSESORI HAVE ASUS K8S-MV BOARD WITH 80 GB HDD
    > SEGATE 256 MB RAM 400 MHZ AMD 64 3000+ PROSSESOR AND 350 W SMPS WHEN I
    > ON THE COMPUTER IT SHOWS BAD BIOS CHECKSUM. STARTING RECOVERY . I TRY
    > EVRY THING. I REPLACED BORD 4 TIMES FROM S C PLZZZZZZZZ HELP ME WHAT I
    > DO WHAT IUS WORNG IN IT IS HDD IS WORNG RAM OR PROSSESOR. I TRY TO
    > FLASH WITH K8S-MX.ROM BUT NOTHIG HAPPEN . SCREEN WILL SHOW BAD BIOS
    > AGAIN. I REPLACED BOAD 5 TIME IT WILL RUN 1 TIME 2 TIME IT WILL SHOW
    > BAD BIOS CHCEKSUM STARTING RECOVERY. BUT NOYHIG HAPPEN I WILL PUT
    > DRIVER CD IN CD ROM IT WILL FALSHING AFTER FALSHING IT WILL SHOW POWER
    > OFF UR COMPUTER AND RESTART GET UR COPMPUTER BACK BUT NOTHIG HAPPEN.
    >
    > U R TRUE FRIEND KNOPPER

    You also apparently have a problem with your keyboard. Your CAPS LOCK key
    is stuck.

    Posting in all caps is the online equivalent of SHOUTING and is considered
    very rude.

    It sounds as if you have made changed to BIOS settings (perhaps in an
    attempt to over).

    You need to return your board to BIOS default and then you should be able to
    boot.

    For future reference, if you have to change your board more than once for a
    problem, and changing the board does not fix the problem, then changing the
    board 5 times is completely unnecessary.

    You should be flashing your BIOS from a bootable floppy, not a bootable CD.
    That is why the utility is not working. You must flash from a bootable
    floppy disk. The flash utility has to be able to write data back to the
    floppy before the flash can begin...it can't do that with a CD (even if it
    is a CD-R/RW).

    Bobby

    "Paul4" wrote:
> [...]
    > stick of DDR memory, and try the memory in slot 1 and finally
    > slot 2. Perhaps the BIOS has an issue with one of the DIMM
    > slots.
    >
    > Make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan header.
    >
    > If the symptoms are still the same, try actually reflashing
    > the BIOS. This will likely not function correctly, as if
    > you see the "starting BIOS recovery", it likely means that
    > all communication with the flash chip is going to be flaky.
    > You can try following the procedure in section 2.1.5
    > "Recovering the BIOS with CrashFree BIOS 2". See the
    > subsection "To recover the BIOS from the support CD",
    > as there is a BIOS file on the motherboard CD, and when you
    > see "starting BIOS recovery", you place the motherboard CD
    > in the CDROM drive, in order that the CrashFree feature
    > can read the BIOS file and reflash the BIOS chip.

    how i clear the CMOS tell me step by setp

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-BAD-BIOS-CHECKSUM-STARTING-RECOVERY-ftopict57579.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=290747

    "Paul4" wrote:
> [...]
    > stick of DDR memory, and try the memory in slot 1 and finally
    > slot 2. Perhaps the BIOS has an issue with one of the DIMM
    > slots.
    >
    > Make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the CPU fan header.
    >
    > If the symptoms are still the same, try actually reflashing
    > the BIOS. This will likely not function correctly, as if
    > you see the "starting BIOS recovery", it likely means that
    > all communication with the flash chip is going to be flaky.
    > You can try following the procedure in section 2.1.5
    > "Recovering the BIOS with CrashFree BIOS 2". See the
    > subsection "To recover the BIOS from the support CD",
    > as there is a BIOS file on the motherboard CD, and when you
    > see "starting BIOS recovery", you place the motherboard CD
    > in the CDROM drive, in order that the CrashFree feature
    > can read the BIOS file and reflash the BIOS chip.

    how to Clear RTC RAM (CLRTC)

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-BAD-BIOS-CHECKSUM-STARTING-RECOVERY-ftopict57579.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=290748

    In article <7_290748_4a1ec5720ea8dc8a135ca009882f1d17@hardwareforumz.com>,
    knopper <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

    > how to Clear RTC RAM (CLRTC)

    From Section 1.9 from the manual

    "1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.

    2. Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3.
    Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5~10 seconds, then move
    the cap back to pins 1-2.

    3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer

    4. Hold down the <Del> key during the boot process and enter
    BIOS setup to re-enter data."

    Paul

    "Paul4" wrote:
    > In article
    > <7_290748_4a1ec5720ea8dc8a135ca009882f1d17@hardwareforumz.com>,
    > knopper <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
    >

    > > how to Clear RTC RAM (CLRTC)
    >
    > From Section 1.9 from the manual
    >
    > "1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
    >
    > 2. Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3.
    >
    > Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5~10 seconds, then
    > move
    > the cap back to pins 1-2.
    >
    > 3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer
    >
    > 4. Hold down the <Del> key during the boot process
    > and enter
    > BIOS setup to re-enter data."
    >
    > Paul

    i got it there is some problem in ram now it’s ok

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ASUS-BAD-BIOS-CHECKSUM-STARTING-RECOVERY-ftopict57579.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=292201

Asus Data Recovery Checksum Hard Drives BIOS Motherboards