CD ROM refuses to enable

My computer has a DVD drive and a separate CD-RW. Up until recently
everything was working fine but I have noticed that WinXP is no longer
showing my CD-RW drive in Explorer. I've had a good look around these
newsgroups and have already tried the registry fix which hasn't worked for me.

The weird thing is the BIOS detects the drive as does device manager- albeit
with a big red cross over it and whenever I try to enable the drive in device
manager it says it can't but does not say why not!! This is what is says in
Deice manager:
--
This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Click Enable Device to enable this device.
--
But when i try to enable it just says 'windows was unable to enable this
device'

When I look at Disk Management (in Computer Management) only the DVD drive
is shown, no sign whatsoever of my CD-RW.

Can anyone help me please??!!
Many Thanks!

"Steve McWee" <Steve McWee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer has a DVD drive and a separate CD-RW. Up until recently
> everything was working fine but I have noticed that WinXP is no longer
> showing my CD-RW drive in Explorer. I've had a good look around these
> newsgroups and have already tried the registry fix which hasn't worked for
me.

> The weird thing is the BIOS detects the drive as does device manager-
albeit
> with a big red cross over it and whenever I try to enable the drive in
device
> manager it says it can't but does not say why not!! This is what is says
in
> Deice manager:
> --
> This device is disabled. (Code 22)
>
> Click Enable Device to enable this device.
> --
> But when i try to enable it just says 'windows was unable to enable this
> device'
>
> When I look at Disk Management (in Computer Management) only the DVD drive
> is shown, no sign whatsoever of my CD-RW.
>
> Can anyone help me please??!!
> Many Thanks!

In past instances of this type, uninstalling the drive in
Device Manager, rebooting and letting it be redetected
has worked for some users.

Let us know what happens.

absolutely fabulous, worked like a charm.

many many thanks!!

> absolutely fabulous, worked like a charm.
>
> many many thanks!!

Welcome.

Now, if we only knew HOW optical drives get
disabled "on their own" in the first place....