No startup beeps with A7N8XE-Dlx

Sam

I have the Asus A7N8XE-Dlx motherboard and when it boots it's totally
silent. Other boards that I have, make a beep when they boot. Thinking that
the internal speaker or the attaching wire was bad, I swapped in a known
working speaker from another system. No difference. So, it's definitely
something on the motherboard.

Have I done something wrong? Or, is my board just weird?

Thanks.

Sam
--
To email me, please get rid of the BS first

Ed

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:00:41 -0700, Sam <srs2_11BS@HotmailBS.com> wrote:

>I have the Asus A7N8XE-Dlx motherboard and when it boots it's totally
>silent. Other boards that I have, make a beep when they boot. Thinking that
>the internal speaker or the attaching wire was bad, I swapped in a known
>working speaker from another system. No difference. So, it's definitely
>something on the motherboard.
>
>Have I done something wrong? Or, is my board just weird?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Sam

Try plugging headphones or amplified speakers into the Front speaker
outputs, IIRC that board has ASUS POST Reporter (see your board
manual).

During the computer POST (Power On Self-Test), ASUS POST Reporter
provides friendly voice warnings through external speaker, clearly
explaining system errors for quick and easy optimization.

hth,
Ed

Sam

Sometime on, or about Sun, 19 Jun 2005 04:28:57 -0500, Ed wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:00:41 -0700, Sam <srs2_11BS@HotmailBS.com> wrote:
>
>>I have the Asus A7N8XE-Dlx motherboard and when it boots it's totally
>>silent. Other boards that I have, make a beep when they boot. Thinking that
>>the internal speaker or the attaching wire was bad, I swapped in a known
>>working speaker from another system. No difference. So, it's definitely
>>something on the motherboard.
>>
>>Have I done something wrong? Or, is my board just weird?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Sam
>
> Try plugging headphones or amplified speakers into the Front speaker
> outputs, IIRC that board has ASUS POST Reporter (see your board
> manual).
>
> During the computer POST (Power On Self-Test), ASUS POST Reporter
> provides friendly voice warnings through external speaker, clearly
> explaining system errors for quick and easy optimization.
>
> hth,
> Ed

I'm not sure that works if you're using a separate sound card. I have the
onboard sound turned off. In any case, I'm referring to the little speaker
in the case, which just provides beeps should there be a problem (or
normally a single beep upon boot up).

Sam
--

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 11:32:17 -0700, Sam <srs2_11BS@HotmailBS.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure that works if you're using a separate sound card. I have the
>onboard sound turned off. In any case, I'm referring to the little speaker
>in the case, which just provides beeps should there be a problem (or
>normally a single beep upon boot up).
>
>Sam

If your having problems it's probably a good idea to pull the sound card
(run with minimal hardware) for now and just use the onboard sound so
you can hear the voice messages. ;p

I'm not sure the BIOS uses the case speaker or even has any beep codes,
I just have a A7N8X and it doesn't have voice.
Ed

Ed wrote:

> If your having problems it's probably a good idea to pull the sound
> card (run with minimal hardware) for now and just use the onboard
> sound so you can hear the voice messages. ;p

No need to pull anything. 2 sound cards work well together. Plug headphones
into onboard sound and messages will come through.

> I'm not sure the BIOS uses the case speaker or even has any beep
> codes, I just have a A7N8X and it doesn't have voice.

The A7N8X- Deluxe (not e) that I use, have both the onboard speaker with
beepcodes and the post-reporter. When there is no beeptone, something is
probably wrong.

Sam

Sometime on, or about Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:45:34 +0200, Egil Solberg wrote:

> Ed wrote:
>
>> If your having problems it's probably a good idea to pull the sound
>> card (run with minimal hardware) for now and just use the onboard
>> sound so you can hear the voice messages. ;p
>
> No need to pull anything. 2 sound cards work well together. Plug headphones
> into onboard sound and messages will come through.
>

>> I'm not sure the BIOS uses the case speaker or even has any beep
>> codes, I just have a A7N8X and it doesn't have voice.
>
> The A7N8X- Deluxe (not e) that I use, have both the onboard speaker with
> beepcodes and the post-reporter. When there is no beeptone, something is
> probably wrong.

I was using the onboard sound until about 3 weeks ago and there were no
beeps then either. So, it's not the sound card that's doing it. I know the
post-reporter works, because when I first installed the board I heard it.
It had just occurred to me that most computers do have a boot-up beep and
this one was silent. Maybe they just ASSume that everyone has the voice on
instead.

Obviously it's not a serious problem, I was just more curious than anything
else.

Sam
--
To email me, please get rid of the BS first

My board beeps.. Same board as yours... Do you have the voice support
turned off in the BIOS? Most likely, there aren't any beeps if this is
turned on, though I don't remember. The voice thing annoyed me, so I turned
it off. Don't remember if there was a voice and beep at the same time or
not... Check it...

FeMaster wrote:
> My board beeps.. Same board as yours... Do you have the voice support
> turned off in the BIOS? Most likely, there aren't any beeps if this
> is turned on, though I don't remember. The voice thing annoyed me,
> so I turned it off. Don't remember if there was a voice and beep at
> the same time or not... Check it...

I have the non-E, and it both beeps and talks.

Sam

Sometime on, or about Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:21:26 -0500, FeMaster wrote:

> My board beeps.. Same board as yours... Do you have the voice support
> turned off in the BIOS? Most likely, there aren't any beeps if this is
> turned on, though I don't remember. The voice thing annoyed me, so I turned
> it off. Don't remember if there was a voice and beep at the same time or
> not... Check it...

I have the voice thing turned off... although I've tried it both ways. No
beeps.

Sam
--

Sometime on, or about Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:45:46 +0200, Egil Solberg wrote:

> FeMaster wrote:
>> My board beeps.. Same board as yours... Do you have the voice support
>> turned off in the BIOS? Most likely, there aren't any beeps if this
>> is turned on, though I don't remember. The voice thing annoyed me,
>> so I turned it off. Don't remember if there was a voice and beep at
>> the same time or not... Check it...
>
> I have the non-E, and it both beeps and talks.

At this point, even a burp would be nice. ;-)

Sam
--
To email me, please get rid of the BS first

ME

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:08:11 -0700, Sam <srs2_11BS@HotmailBS.com>
wrote:

<snip>
>At this point, even a burp would be nice. ;-)
>
>Sam
I've been through two brand new boards, one an A7N8X (plain) and one
/VM400. Neither talked, beeped, booted, or even POSTed. I tried 3
different CPU's (2 were new), and even went out and bought a new power
supply (at the urging of ASUS tech support) that was half again
bigger than the manual said was needed. Another $80 pissed away.

I RMA'd both boards and ordered an EPoX. It made me sad, because I've
always had good luck with ASUS. The very first machine I assembled
was on an ASUS TX-P4 with a K-5 processor. Even it worked.

Sam

Sometime on, or about Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:05:05 GMT, Me wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:08:11 -0700, Sam <srs2_11BS@HotmailBS.com>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>At this point, even a burp would be nice. ;-)
>>
>>Sam
> I've been through two brand new boards, one an A7N8X (plain) and one
> /VM400. Neither talked, beeped, booted, or even POSTed. I tried 3
> different CPU's (2 were new), and even went out and bought a new power
> supply (at the urging of ASUS tech support) that was half again
> bigger than the manual said was needed. Another $80 pissed away.
>
> I RMA'd both boards and ordered an EPoX. It made me sad, because I've
> always had good luck with ASUS. The very first machine I assembled
> was on an ASUS TX-P4 with a K-5 processor. Even it worked.

Obvious bad luck. I've built 5 systems using 3 different variations of the
A7N8X (from the original to the E-Deluxe). Not a single problem with any of
them. I don't know if it makes a difference as to where you buy them... all
of mine came from NewEgg.

Sam
--
To email me, please get rid of the BS first