E drive - cd burner door won't open

gwen

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

I downloaded SP2 and immediately after, my cd burner
drive door will not open..... not sure if there is a
correlation but seems to be more than a coincidence.
Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Gwen

Can you open it from My Computer?

Open My Computer right click on the drive the click eject.

Ben781 wrote:
> Can you open it from My Computer?
> Open My Computer right click on the drive the click eject.

Even more telling, can you open it before Windows loads?

Reboot your PC.. As soon as Windows goes away and you see the system begin
its warm up (before Windows XP starts to load or even during the load) -
PRESS the eject butoon on your CD Drive - does it eject?

If you know how to get into the system BIOS before the Windows Boot, do this
and try to eject it while in there - that way the OS has nothing to do with
your hardware controls at this point.

--
<- Shenan ->

gwen

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

research for
>yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
ultimately
>responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
what you are
>getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>

>.
>Thanks for the reply. It opened once today and now
won't open again. Also, the D and E drive are not under
My Computer. Only C and A. So windows isn't recognizing
them I guess. I keep looking in the KB for an answer but
didn't find one yet.

peter

It may just be a sticky mechanism. Have you tried the mechanical
way...sticking a pin in the small hole just below the drawer?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.

"Peter" <0spam0 AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> It may just be a sticky mechanism. Have you tried the mechanical
> way...sticking a pin in the small hole just below the drawer?
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> Windows XP Home SP2.
> Pentium 4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1gb DDR.
> "Gwen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

This is getting too weird.

Although it hasn't happened here (SP1A),
it HAS happened to approx. 3 other users
on this NG this week.

Something may be going on re: SP2 and optical drives...

Try booting from your floppy (just put in a blank
disk, power on the machine, and wait until you get
the "No operating system..." bitching - you may need
to go into your BIOS and change the boot order to floppy, then
C:). Then try to eject the tray.

Let us know what ahppens.