Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

E drive - cd burner door won't open

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 5, 2004 2:43:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I downloaded SP2 and immediately after, my cd burner
drive door will not open..... not sure if there is a
correlation but seems to be more than a coincidence.
Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Gwen

More about : drive burner door open

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 3:09:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Can you open it from My Computer?

Open My Computer right click on the drive the click eject.

"Gwen" wrote:

> I downloaded SP2 and immediately after, my cd burner
> drive door will not open..... not sure if there is a
> correlation but seems to be more than a coincidence.
> Any suggestions??
>
> Thanks,
> Gwen
>
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 6:04:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Gwen wrote:
> I downloaded SP2 and immediately after, my cd burner
> drive door will not open..... not sure if there is a
> correlation but seems to be more than a coincidence.
> Any suggestions??

Ben781 wrote:
> Can you open it from My Computer?
> Open My Computer right click on the drive the click eject.

Even more telling, can you open it before Windows loads?

Reboot your PC.. As soon as Windows goes away and you see the system begin
its warm up (before Windows XP starts to load or even during the load) -
PRESS the eject butoon on your CD Drive - does it eject?

If you know how to get into the system BIOS before the Windows Boot, do this
and try to eject it while in there - that way the OS has nothing to do with
your hardware controls at this point.

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
Related resources
September 6, 2004 7:56:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>Gwen wrote:
>> I downloaded SP2 and immediately after, my cd burner
>> drive door will not open..... not sure if there is a
>> correlation but seems to be more than a coincidence.
>> Any suggestions??
>
>Ben781 wrote:
>> Can you open it from My Computer?
>> Open My Computer right click on the drive the click
eject.
>
>Even more telling, can you open it before Windows loads?
>
>Reboot your PC.. As soon as Windows goes away and you
see the system begin
>its warm up (before Windows XP starts to load or even
during the load) -
>PRESS the eject butoon on your CD Drive - does it eject?
>
>If you know how to get into the system BIOS before the
Windows Boot, do this
>and try to eject it while in there - that way the OS has
nothing to do with
>your hardware controls at this point.
>
>--
><- Shenan ->
>--
>The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you
research for
>yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
ultimately
>responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
what you are
>getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>
>
>.
>Thanks for the reply. It opened once today and now
won't open again. Also, the D and E drive are not under
My Computer. Only C and A. So windows isn't recognizing
them I guess. I keep looking in the KB for an answer but
didn't find one yet.
September 6, 2004 11:22:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

It may just be a sticky mechanism. Have you tried the mechanical
way...sticking a pin in the small hole just below the drawer?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
Windows XP Home SP2.
Pentium 4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1gb DDR.
"Gwen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6f1b01c49464$b931ddf0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Gwen wrote:
>>> I downloaded SP2 and immediately after, my cd burner
>>> drive door will not open..... not sure if there is a
>>> correlation but seems to be more than a coincidence.
>>> Any suggestions??
>>
>>Ben781 wrote:
>>> Can you open it from My Computer?
>>> Open My Computer right click on the drive the click
> eject.
>>
>>Even more telling, can you open it before Windows loads?
>>
>>Reboot your PC.. As soon as Windows goes away and you
> see the system begin
>>its warm up (before Windows XP starts to load or even
> during the load) -
>>PRESS the eject butoon on your CD Drive - does it eject?
>>
>>If you know how to get into the system BIOS before the
> Windows Boot, do this
>>and try to eject it while in there - that way the OS has
> nothing to do with
>>your hardware controls at this point.
>>
>>--
>><- Shenan ->
>>--
>>The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you
> research for
>>yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
> ultimately
>>responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
> what you are
>>getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>>
>>
>>.
>>Thanks for the reply. It opened once today and now
> won't open again. Also, the D and E drive are not under
> My Computer. Only C and A. So windows isn't recognizing
> them I guess. I keep looking in the KB for an answer but
> didn't find one yet.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 11:22:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Peter" <0spam0 AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
news:o 81LthGlEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> It may just be a sticky mechanism. Have you tried the mechanical
> way...sticking a pin in the small hole just below the drawer?
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> Windows XP Home SP2.
> Pentium 4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1gb DDR.
> "Gwen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6f1b01c49464$b931ddf0$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> >
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>Gwen wrote:
> >>> I downloaded SP2 and immediately after, my cd burner
> >>> drive door will not open..... not sure if there is a
> >>> correlation but seems to be more than a coincidence.
> >>> Any suggestions??
> >>
> >>Ben781 wrote:
> >>> Can you open it from My Computer?
> >>> Open My Computer right click on the drive the click
> > eject.
> >>
> >>Even more telling, can you open it before Windows loads?
> >>
> >>Reboot your PC.. As soon as Windows goes away and you
> > see the system begin
> >>its warm up (before Windows XP starts to load or even
> > during the load) -
> >>PRESS the eject butoon on your CD Drive - does it eject?
> >>
> >>If you know how to get into the system BIOS before the
> > Windows Boot, do this
> >>and try to eject it while in there - that way the OS has
> > nothing to do with
> >>your hardware controls at this point.
> >>
> >>--
> >><- Shenan ->
> >>--
> >>The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you
> > research for
> >>yourself before you take any advice - you are the one
> > ultimately
> >>responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know
> > what you are
> >>getting into before you jump in with both feet.
> >>
> >>
> >>.
> >>Thanks for the reply. It opened once today and now
> > won't open again. Also, the D and E drive are not under
> > My Computer. Only C and A. So windows isn't recognizing
> > them I guess. I keep looking in the KB for an answer but
> > didn't find one yet.
>

This is getting too weird.

Although it hasn't happened here (SP1A),
it HAS happened to approx. 3 other users
on this NG this week.

Something may be going on re: SP2 and optical drives...

Try booting from your floppy (just put in a blank
disk, power on the machine, and wait until you get
the "No operating system..." bitching - you may need
to go into your BIOS and change the boot order to floppy, then
C:) . Then try to eject the tray.

Let us know what ahppens.
!