Uninstalling/Reinstalling keyboard driver

In an earlier post I described a problem that since
installing WinXP SP2 I can no longer enter standby as an
error reports that the EnE Keyboard KB 3886 driver is
preventing the system from entering standby.

One suggestion was to uninstall the keyboard driver from
Device Manager and to reboot, and let Windows discover
and reinstall the driver for the keyboard.

How can I be sure that the driver is in the Windows
driver database? I am just concerned that if I uninstall
the driver that Windows may not recognise the keyboard
and report "Unknown Device". Is this concern unfounded?
Is it just the driver files in Windows/System 32 and
registry which is emptied, and does the system read the
inf file on reboot to find the driver?

I'm also concerned that the keyboard driver may be
associated some way with the touchpad and mouse driver
and I am concerned that if I play with the keyboard
driver that the mouse may stop working or some such thing.

I'd like to give the uninstall/reinstall a go but I don't
want to end up with an unworkable system.

bar

Keyboard, mouse and touchpad are regarded as separate hardware devices and
drivers for each are unrelated.

You can uninstall or remove these drivers independently.

"Anne" wrote:

> In an earlier post I described a problem that since
> installing WinXP SP2 I can no longer enter standby as an
> error reports that the EnE Keyboard KB 3886 driver is
> preventing the system from entering standby.
>
> One suggestion was to uninstall the keyboard driver from
> Device Manager and to reboot, and let Windows discover
> and reinstall the driver for the keyboard.
>
> How can I be sure that the driver is in the Windows
> driver database? I am just concerned that if I uninstall
> the driver that Windows may not recognise the keyboard
> and report "Unknown Device". Is this concern unfounded?
> Is it just the driver files in Windows/System 32 and
> registry which is emptied, and does the system read the
> inf file on reboot to find the driver?
>
> I'm also concerned that the keyboard driver may be
> associated some way with the touchpad and mouse driver
> and I am concerned that if I play with the keyboard
> driver that the mouse may stop working or some such thing.
>
> I'd like to give the uninstall/reinstall a go but I don't
> want to end up with an unworkable system.

Gan

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004

try this article