A7N8X-E Deluxe SATA Driver

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 19, 2005 8:58:16 PM

I was trying to install XP on a new SATA drive, XP didn't recognize it, I
figured I needed a SATA driver on a floppy. I even knew the exact name
(Silicon Image 3112A)

Simple enough, right?

Well, as far as I can tell, it didn't come with the motherboard, and it's
nowhere to be found on Asus's website. I eventually found what I needed....
on *ABIT's* website. Relevant link here:

http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download/drivers/sata/silic...

Ran the file, extracted to floppy, pressed F6 during windows setup, and
everything went smoothly after that.

But I can't believe that Asus wouldn't provide a driver that, as far as I
can tell, is absolutely necessary in order to install the most popular
operating system in what is no doubt a fairly popular drive configuration
(single SATA hard drive).

So, am I just retarded or what? Or did Asus really drop the ball on this
one?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2005 1:18:09 AM

"Mercury" <nobody@nospam.null> wrote in message
>I was trying to install XP on a new SATA drive, XP didn't recognize it, I
> figured I needed a SATA driver on a floppy. I even knew the exact name
> (Silicon Image 3112A)
>
> Simple enough, right?
>
> Well, as far as I can tell, it didn't come with the motherboard, and it's
> nowhere to be found on Asus's website. I eventually found what I
> needed....
> on *ABIT's* website. Relevant link here:
>
> http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download/drivers/sata/silic...
>
> Ran the file, extracted to floppy, pressed F6 during windows setup, and
> everything went smoothly after that.
>
> But I can't believe that Asus wouldn't provide a driver that, as far as I
> can tell, is absolutely necessary in order to install the most popular
> operating system in what is no doubt a fairly popular drive configuration
> (single SATA hard drive).
>
> So, am I just retarded or what? Or did Asus really drop the ball on this
> one?

They dropped the ball on this one for sure, you can make the floppy from the
asus driver cd by copying the sata driver files to a floppy and using that.
I've just bought the same mobo as I had a spare athlon 2800 spare, its the
first board I've had that didn't come with a sata floppy disc.
--
Judder
June 20, 2005 1:18:10 AM

I just helped a friend put together an A8N SLI board two weeks ago and with
a Seagate SATA and SP2 there was no issue with this .. I think they must
have the SATA drivers figured out now.]

"Judder" <spamtrap@none.com> wrote in message

> "Mercury" <nobody@nospam.null> wrote in message
>>I was trying to install XP on a new SATA drive, XP didn't recognize it, I
>> figured I needed a SATA driver on a floppy. I even knew the exact name
>> (Silicon Image 3112A)
>>
>> Simple enough, right?
>>
>> Well, as far as I can tell, it didn't come with the motherboard, and it's
>> nowhere to be found on Asus's website. I eventually found what I
>> needed....
>> on *ABIT's* website. Relevant link here:
>>
>> http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download/drivers/sata/silic...
>>
>> Ran the file, extracted to floppy, pressed F6 during windows setup, and
>> everything went smoothly after that.
>>
>> But I can't believe that Asus wouldn't provide a driver that, as far as I
>> can tell, is absolutely necessary in order to install the most popular
>> operating system in what is no doubt a fairly popular drive configuration
>> (single SATA hard drive).
>>
>> So, am I just retarded or what? Or did Asus really drop the ball on this
>> one?
>>

> They dropped the ball on this one for sure, you can make the floppy from
> the asus driver cd by copying the sata driver files to a floppy and using
> that.
> I've just bought the same mobo as I had a spare athlon 2800 spare, its the
> first board I've had that didn't come with a sata floppy disc.
> --
> Judder

a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2005 3:17:05 AM

Mercury wrote:

> http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download/drivers/sata/silic...

that one is very old

> Ran the file, extracted to floppy, pressed F6 during windows setup,
> and everything went smoothly after that.
>
> But I can't believe that Asus wouldn't provide a driver that, as far
> as I can tell, is absolutely necessary in order to install the most
> popular operating system in what is no doubt a fairly popular drive
> configuration (single SATA hard drive).
>
> So, am I just retarded or what? Or did Asus really drop the ball on
> this one?

Go to www.siliconimage.com support , then resource centre, launch CRC, and
under "downloads" you will find latest driver.
June 20, 2005 3:17:06 AM

"Egil Solberg" <egilso@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Go to www.siliconimage.com support , then resource centre, launch CRC,
and
> under "downloads" you will find latest driver.

Thanks. I did go to SI's website, then support, then *download* center, and
ended up at a dead end (3112 wasn't listed).

It didn't occur to me to try the resource center. (I figured all
downloadable files would be accessible from the download center... silly
me.)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2005 9:13:13 PM

The driver DID come with the motherboard, simply load the Serial ATA
Driver from the the CD's menu and you're in business.
June 21, 2005 2:46:43 AM

"bowse" <bozo@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
> The driver DID come with the motherboard, simply load the Serial ATA
> Driver from the the CD's menu and you're in business.

Errrr... how exactly am I supposed to do that when I have no working OS?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2005 9:48:14 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:46:43 -0400, "Mercury" <nobody@nospam.null>
wrote:

>"bowse" <bozo@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
>> The driver DID come with the motherboard, simply load the Serial ATA
>> Driver from the the CD's menu and you're in business.
>
>Errrr... how exactly am I supposed to do that when I have no working OS?

You need no working OS, it's not needed. Provided you have your CD
set to the top of the boot stack, the machine should load the initial
bootloader off the CD and take off (provided the rest of your BIOS is
set properly). After all, the CD provided with the MB is intended to
be used on a new and untouched system and does not depend on your
having Windows installed or anything else. If this doesn't work you
can always make a set of XP boot floppies with another machine and try
those, but that's not the answer.

Then you will see the SATA driver in the menu, just install that (but
not the RAID utility), and probably the nVidea drivers also. After
you get it going visit the Asus website for most recent drivers &
re-install.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 12:14:09 AM

You have to get the SATA driver from your motherboard CD and place it on a
1.44 disk.
When you boot to install Windows XP press F6 when asked.
You should not have any problem from then on.
Good luck

JC

"Judder" <spamtrap@none.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
lilte.52998$G8.14820@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "Mercury" <nobody@nospam.null> wrote in message
>>I was trying to install XP on a new SATA drive, XP didn't recognize it, I
>> figured I needed a SATA driver on a floppy. I even knew the exact name
>> (Silicon Image 3112A)
>>
>> Simple enough, right?
>>
>> Well, as far as I can tell, it didn't come with the motherboard, and it's
>> nowhere to be found on Asus's website. I eventually found what I
>> needed....
>> on *ABIT's* website. Relevant link here:
>>
>> http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download/drivers/sata/silic...
>>
>> Ran the file, extracted to floppy, pressed F6 during windows setup, and
>> everything went smoothly after that.
>>
>> But I can't believe that Asus wouldn't provide a driver that, as far as I
>> can tell, is absolutely necessary in order to install the most popular
>> operating system in what is no doubt a fairly popular drive configuration
>> (single SATA hard drive).
>>
>> So, am I just retarded or what? Or did Asus really drop the ball on this
>> one?
>>

> They dropped the ball on this one for sure, you can make the floppy from
> the asus driver cd by copying the sata driver files to a floppy and using
> that.
> I've just bought the same mobo as I had a spare athlon 2800 spare, its the
> first board I've had that didn't come with a sata floppy disc.
> --
> Judder

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2005 3:30:31 AM

But is the CD bootable ?

"bowse" <bozo@buzzoff.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
nschb1d623ffsmce722ad806jroikgo94b@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:46:43 -0400, "Mercury" <nobody@nospam.null>
> wrote:
>
>>"bowse" <bozo@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
>>> The driver DID come with the motherboard, simply load the Serial ATA
>>> Driver from the the CD's menu and you're in business.
>>
>>Errrr... how exactly am I supposed to do that when I have no working OS?
>>

> You need no working OS, it's not needed. Provided you have your CD
> set to the top of the boot stack, the machine should load the initial
> bootloader off the CD and take off (provided the rest of your BIOS is
> set properly). After all, the CD provided with the MB is intended to
> be used on a new and untouched system and does not depend on your
> having Windows installed or anything else. If this doesn't work you
> can always make a set of XP boot floppies with another machine and try
> those, but that's not the answer.
>
> Then you will see the SATA driver in the menu, just install that (but
> not the RAID utility), and probably the nVidea drivers also. After
> you get it going visit the Asus website for most recent drivers &
> re-install.
June 22, 2005 10:43:21 PM

"FG" <personne@videotron.cam> wrote in message
> But is the CD bootable ?

No.
June 22, 2005 10:47:58 PM

"Jeannot" <NoSpam-ordijc@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:D ccue.112801$Fn.1020677@weber.videotron.net...
> You have to get the SATA driver from your motherboard CD and place it on a
> 1.44 disk.

That will work (as I discovered later), but should I really be expected to
figure out on my own which files are needed? If there was an easily
locatable makedisk utility on the CD, which would create the floppy, I
wouldn't be complaining. But having to pick out the files myself and copy
them to floppy manually seems... not user-friendly, to say the least.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 25, 2005 1:38:44 AM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:30:31 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
wrote:

>But is the CD bootable ?

oF course it is. How else would you get a new system going??
June 26, 2005 2:49:57 PM

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:30:31 -0400, "FG" <personne@videotron.cam>
> wrote:
>
> >But is the CD bootable ?
> >

> oF course it is. How else would you get a new system going??

Uhhh... by using a modern OS installation CD, which *is* bootable.

Unlike the Asus CD, which is most definitely *not* bootable. Believe me, I
tried.
!