I think I've ALMOST got it...

September 5, 2004 7:49:05 PM

To summarize my problem usign a previous post:

"Ever since I got my computer I have had horrible random lockups... the whole
computer with freeze up, including the mouse cursor, until I reboot, and
occasionally it will reboot itself. This can happen when it is being used or
when it is idle. I have no idea what causes this but when I run a certain
game it says I have "out of date SiS chipset driver" which may be a hint but
I dunno... i'm not even sure what that is. So if anybody could help me..."

Now I just did an experiment where I removed the Nvidia GeForce2 graphics
card that I added into this pre-built Northgate computer, thereby allowing
the motherboard's built in graphics card to take over. (I have a S651M
motherboard). This worked. Then I deciderd to experiment... I opened up a 3d
game that recently had been locking up every single time I used it, and
although the game was slow and the graphics choppy, it didn't crash at all.

So now I know the problem lies in my graphics card... teh question is, how
can I fix it? The graphics card worked perfectly well in my previous
computer. Is there some special process I need to go through when I install
it so that my computer will stop locking up? Or are the graphics card and
motherboard just not compatible... or what?

More about : question

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 8:17:17 PM

How about drivers for the card?

"Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To summarize my problem usign a previous post:
>
> "Ever since I got my computer I have had horrible random lockups... the
whole
> computer with freeze up, including the mouse cursor, until I reboot, and
> occasionally it will reboot itself. This can happen when it is being used
or
> when it is idle. I have no idea what causes this but when I run a certain
> game it says I have "out of date SiS chipset driver" which may be a hint
but
> I dunno... i'm not even sure what that is. So if anybody could help me..."
>
> Now I just did an experiment where I removed the Nvidia GeForce2 graphics
> card that I added into this pre-built Northgate computer, thereby allowing
> the motherboard's built in graphics card to take over. (I have a S651M
> motherboard). This worked. Then I deciderd to experiment... I opened up a
3d
> game that recently had been locking up every single time I used it, and
> although the game was slow and the graphics choppy, it didn't crash at
all.

> So now I know the problem lies in my graphics card... teh question is, how
> can I fix it? The graphics card worked perfectly well in my previous
> computer. Is there some special process I need to go through when I
install
> it so that my computer will stop locking up? Or are the graphics card and
> motherboard just not compatible... or what?
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 11:27:11 PM

Obtain the very latest drivers for the Nvidia board (ver 61.77). Disable the
onboard graphics in the computer bios.If you don't, you may have weird
interactions that you can't control.

Ps. The Nvidia board is way better than any on-board graphics I know of.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To summarize my problem usign a previous post:
>
> "Ever since I got my computer I have had horrible random lockups... the
> whole
> computer with freeze up, including the mouse cursor, until I reboot, and
> occasionally it will reboot itself. This can happen when it is being used
> or
> when it is idle. I have no idea what causes this but when I run a certain
> game it says I have "out of date SiS chipset driver" which may be a hint
> but
> I dunno... i'm not even sure what that is. So if anybody could help me..."
>
> Now I just did an experiment where I removed the Nvidia GeForce2 graphics
> card that I added into this pre-built Northgate computer, thereby allowing
> the motherboard's built in graphics card to take over. (I have a S651M
> motherboard). This worked. Then I deciderd to experiment... I opened up a
> 3d
> game that recently had been locking up every single time I used it, and
> although the game was slow and the graphics choppy, it didn't crash at
> all.
>
> So now I know the problem lies in my graphics card... teh question is, how
> can I fix it? The graphics card worked perfectly well in my previous
> computer. Is there some special process I need to go through when I
> install
> it so that my computer will stop locking up? Or are the graphics card and
> motherboard just not compatible... or what?
Related resources
September 5, 2004 11:27:12 PM

I have all the latest drivers, but disabling the onboard graphics card sounds
like the right thing. How can I do that in the BIOS... what option should I
look for?

~ Zach ~

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Obtain the very latest drivers for the Nvidia board (ver 61.77). Disable the
> onboard graphics in the computer bios.If you don't, you may have weird
> interactions that you can't control.
>
> Ps. The Nvidia board is way better than any on-board graphics I know of.
>
> --
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>

> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>

> "Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > To summarize my problem usign a previous post:
> >
> > "Ever since I got my computer I have had horrible random lockups... the
> > whole
> > computer with freeze up, including the mouse cursor, until I reboot, and
> > occasionally it will reboot itself. This can happen when it is being used
> > or
> > when it is idle. I have no idea what causes this but when I run a certain
> > game it says I have "out of date SiS chipset driver" which may be a hint
> > but
> > I dunno... i'm not even sure what that is. So if anybody could help me..."
> >
> > Now I just did an experiment where I removed the Nvidia GeForce2 graphics
> > card that I added into this pre-built Northgate computer, thereby allowing
> > the motherboard's built in graphics card to take over. (I have a S651M
> > motherboard). This worked. Then I deciderd to experiment... I opened up a
> > 3d
> > game that recently had been locking up every single time I used it, and
> > although the game was slow and the graphics choppy, it didn't crash at
> > all.
> >
> > So now I know the problem lies in my graphics card... teh question is, how
> > can I fix it? The graphics card worked perfectly well in my previous
> > computer. Is there some special process I need to go through when I
> > install
> > it so that my computer will stop locking up? Or are the graphics card and
> > motherboard just not compatible... or what?

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 1:25:37 PM

If you don't have a manual for your mobo, do a google search for S651M
manual and download it yourself. Should make interesting reading.

>I have all the latest drivers, but disabling the onboard graphics card
>sounds
> like the right thing. How can I do that in the BIOS... what option should
> look for?
>
> ~ Zach ~
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Obtain the very latest drivers for the Nvidia board (ver 61.77). Disable
>> the
>> onboard graphics in the computer bios.If you don't, you may have weird
>> interactions that you can't control.
>>
>> Ps. The Nvidia board is way better than any on-board graphics I know of.
>>
>> --
>> Regards:
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>

>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>>

>> "Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > To summarize my problem usign a previous post:
>> >
>> > "Ever since I got my computer I have had horrible random lockups... the
>> > whole
>> > computer with freeze up, including the mouse cursor, until I reboot,
>> > and
>> > occasionally it will reboot itself. This can happen when it is being
>> > used
>> > or
>> > when it is idle. I have no idea what causes this but when I run a
>> > certain
>> > game it says I have "out of date SiS chipset driver" which may be a
>> > hint
>> > but
>> > I dunno... i'm not even sure what that is. So if anybody could help
>> > me..."
>> >
>> > Now I just did an experiment where I removed the Nvidia GeForce2
>> > graphics
>> > card that I added into this pre-built Northgate computer, thereby
>> > allowing
>> > the motherboard's built in graphics card to take over. (I have a S651M
>> > motherboard). This worked. Then I deciderd to experiment... I opened up
>> > 3d
>> > game that recently had been locking up every single time I used it, and
>> > although the game was slow and the graphics choppy, it didn't crash at
>> > all.
>> >
>> > So now I know the problem lies in my graphics card... teh question is,
>> > how
>> > can I fix it? The graphics card worked perfectly well in my previous
>> > computer. Is there some special process I need to go through when I
>> > install
>> > it so that my computer will stop locking up? Or are the graphics card
>> > and
>> > motherboard just not compatible... or what?

September 6, 2004 1:25:38 PM

I read the manual and searched the online version earlier... couldn't find
anything. But I also dont understand the technical stuff at all... so.

"yeloduke" wrote:

> If you don't have a manual for your mobo, do a google search for S651M
> manual and download it yourself. Should make interesting reading.
>
> "Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have all the latest drivers, but disabling the onboard graphics card
> >sounds
> > like the right thing. How can I do that in the BIOS... what option should
> > look for?
> >
> > ~ Zach ~
> >
> > "Richard Urban" wrote:
> >
> >> Obtain the very latest drivers for the Nvidia board (ver 61.77). Disable
> >> the
> >> onboard graphics in the computer bios.If you don't, you may have weird
> >> interactions that you can't control.
> >>
> >> Ps. The Nvidia board is way better than any on-board graphics I know of.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards:
> >>
> >> Richard Urban
> >>

> >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
> >>

> >> "Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

September 6, 2004 1:25:39 PM

So... you are going to need to learn a little technical stuff! First off
you haven't mentioned what brand computer or motherboard you are using.
Trying to guess at that won't help us or you! Maybe if you indicate
make/model/motherboard someone will have a match and tell you how to
proceed.

Good Luck,
Len

>I read the manual and searched the online version earlier... couldn't find
> anything. But I also dont understand the technical stuff at all... so.
>
> "yeloduke" wrote:
>
>> If you don't have a manual for your mobo, do a google search for S651M
>> manual and download it yourself. Should make interesting reading.
>>
>> "Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have all the latest drivers, but disabling the onboard graphics card
>> >sounds
>> > like the right thing. How can I do that in the BIOS... what option
>> > should
>> > look for?
>> >
>> > ~ Zach ~

September 6, 2004 1:25:40 PM

Oh sorry! I thought I mentioned it.

I have ... an Intel Celeron 2.2ghz with an S651M motherboard. The graphics
card I want to install is a Geforce2 GTS or Pro. I forget which.

"Len" wrote:

> So... you are going to need to learn a little technical stuff! First off
> you haven't mentioned what brand computer or motherboard you are using.
> Trying to guess at that won't help us or you! Maybe if you indicate
> make/model/motherboard someone will have a match and tell you how to
> proceed.
>
> Good Luck,
> Len
>
> "Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I read the manual and searched the online version earlier... couldn't find
> > anything. But I also dont understand the technical stuff at all... so.
> >
> > "yeloduke" wrote:
> >
> >> If you don't have a manual for your mobo, do a google search for S651M
> >> manual and download it yourself. Should make interesting reading.
> >>
> >> "Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

September 7, 2004 2:29:31 AM

You did mention the S651M but that unfortunately doesn't tell me anything or
lead me to any information on your CMOS. It probably does lead to the
system you may have purchased. The MB is not seperately listed so have no
idea whether it is Award, Phoenix, AMI or whatever for a bios chip. Nor
less on its settings...

Sorry can not help you... maybe someone else will be able to assist.

Len

> Oh sorry! I thought I mentioned it.
>
> I have ... an Intel Celeron 2.2ghz with an S651M motherboard. The graphics
> card I want to install is a Geforce2 GTS or Pro. I forget which.
>
> "Len" wrote:
>
>> So... you are going to need to learn a little technical stuff! First off
>> you haven't mentioned what brand computer or motherboard you are using.
>> Trying to guess at that won't help us or you! Maybe if you indicate
>> make/model/motherboard someone will have a match and tell you how to
>> proceed.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> Len
>>
>> "Zach" <Zach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I read the manual and searched the online version earlier... couldn't
>> >find
>> > anything. But I also dont understand the technical stuff at all... so.

September 7, 2004 2:29:32 AM

http://www.syntaxusa.com/catalog/download_manuals/manua...

This is the manual for my motherboard... any chance you could take a peek
and see what settings I need to tweak in the BIOS?

~ Zach ~

!