Dean

1. How do I find out if a computer has USB 1.1 or 2.0?
Tried Device Manager and it does not help. The
Motherboard is an MSI 400MHz 6528 with 845 PRO 478 chipset

2. Are USB 2.0 cables backwards compatible to USB 1.1 ?

If your chipset is Intel, goto Intel.com for specification if MSI
doesn't provide it. You can use system info (XP accessories/system
tools), Expand components/usb to list the usb controller model and then
do a search on intel website to get the results.

Provided you gave the right MSI part# your MBO most likely has an
82801BA controller which supports 12 Mbps = usb 1.1

"Dean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 1. How do I find out if a computer has USB 1.1 or 2.0?
> Tried Device Manager and it does not help. The
> Motherboard is an MSI 400MHz 6528 with 845 PRO 478 chipset
>
> 2. Are USB 2.0 cables backwards compatible to USB 1.1 ?

1.
If it just "USB" in device manager, you have USB 1.1.
If you had USB 2.0, it would say "USB 2.0".

2.
Any USB 1.1 device will work with USB 2.0 ports, but will run at the same
speed as if the port were USB 1.1.

HTH.
Eos.

EOS wrote:
> 1. If it just "USB" in device manager, you have USB 1.1.
> If you had USB 2.0, it would say "USB 2.0".
>
> 2. Any USB 1.1 device will work with USB 2.0 ports,
> but will run at the same speed as if the port were USB 1.1.

1. In Device Manager, you will see "ENHANCED" not 2.0.
2. USB cables (2.0) will work backwards.

--
<- Shenan ->

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Dean wrote:
> 1. In Device Manager, you will see "ENHANCED" not 2.0.

Mine says USB 2.0 Root Hub

All of mine just say USB Root Hub, though I do see USB2 Enhanced Host
Controller. All of my ports are USB 2.0.

To the OP, these are the latest chipset drivers:
http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=1671

You will NOT be able to get USB 2.0 on your computer unless you install
a USB 2.0 PCI Card. Your motherboard did not have USB 2.0 until they
made the Ultra version of it. Sorry to disappoint you. Also, USB 2.0
is backwards compatible with USB 1.1 FYI ;)

I found this information in your manual BTW.

----
Nathan McNulty