Hi all, i have a HP LaserJet 1000 with what looks like only a 25 pin female
interface, like a parallel port on a pc, and it came with a HP USB adapter
that plugs into the printers port and subsequently into a pc USB port.
I was wondering if it was possible to hook this into a pc parallel port with
the right cable? and if so, what would be the right cable? the only thing i
can find that fits is a 25 pin male to 25 pin male cable, but it does not
seem to communicate through this cable.
Thanks in advance,
Sean Dugan

You need to drive your printer though the proper hub or router, from what I
remember.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Sean Dugan" <sdugan@nospam.com> wrote in message
Hi all, i have a HP LaserJet 1000 with what looks like only a 25 pin female
interface, like a parallel port on a pc, and it came with a HP USB adapter
that plugs into the printers port and subsequently into a pc USB port.
I was wondering if it was possible to hook this into a pc parallel port with
the right cable? and if so, what would be the right cable? the only thing i
can find that fits is a 25 pin male to 25 pin male cable, but it does not
seem to communicate through this cable.
Thanks in advance,
Sean Dugan

Alan

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:34:23 -0500, "Sean Dugan" <sdugan@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Hi all, i have a HP LaserJet 1000 with what looks like only a 25 pin female
>interface, like a parallel port on a pc, and it came with a HP USB adapter
>that plugs into the printers port and subsequently into a pc USB port.
>I was wondering if it was possible to hook this into a pc parallel port with
>the right cable? and if so, what would be the right cable? the only thing i
>can find that fits is a 25 pin male to 25 pin male cable, but it does not
>seem to communicate through this cable.

From the specs at
<http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/sg_en/10_25_101_166_Q1342A.html>
"Connectivity: USB port only, 2-meter cable with pod formatter
included"

What you're looking at is explained here,
<http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,1761,a=15640,00.asp> whihc is a
review of the printer:

"To keep costs down, the LaserJet 1000 is a host-based printer,
meaning that most of the imaging is handled by the host PC. What
little of the formatting is left for the LaserJet 1000 to handle is
done in a bulge (pod) at the printer end of the proprietary USB cable,
which is USB at the PC end with a parallel-port-like DB25 connector at
the printer. "

This seems a very strange idea, but this model was positioned on cut
throat pricing, so it probably saved them a few cents at the cost of a
very expensive cable replacement ($49) for the consumer.

"Alan" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:34:23 -0500, "Sean Dugan" <sdugan@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all, i have a HP LaserJet 1000 with what looks like only a 25 pin
female
> >interface, like a parallel port on a pc, and it came with a HP USB
adapter
> >that plugs into the printers port and subsequently into a pc USB port.
> >I was wondering if it was possible to hook this into a pc parallel port
with
> >the right cable? and if so, what would be the right cable? the only thing
> >can find that fits is a 25 pin male to 25 pin male cable, but it does not
> >seem to communicate through this cable.
>
> From the specs at
> <http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/sg_en/10_25_101_166_Q1342A.html>
> "Connectivity: USB port only, 2-meter cable with pod formatter
> included"
>
> What you're looking at is explained here,
> <http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,1761,a=15640,00.asp> whihc is a
> review of the printer:
>
> "To keep costs down, the LaserJet 1000 is a host-based printer,
> meaning that most of the imaging is handled by the host PC. What
> little of the formatting is left for the LaserJet 1000 to handle is
> done in a bulge (pod) at the printer end of the proprietary USB cable,
> which is USB at the PC end with a parallel-port-like DB25 connector at
> the printer. "
>
> This seems a very strange idea, but this model was positioned on cut
> throat pricing, so it probably saved them a few cents at the cost of a
> very expensive cable replacement ($49) for the consumer.

Thank you very much for your help.