dmac

Hi, I knew i should not have got into this hardware stuff, but I could
not help myself and now i'd like to get it to work just to kep my
sanity.

First, a quick dip into the problem history, then the current hiccup.

I tried to to upgrade my processor and messed it up. (take your pick
from the screwdriver slipped and careerred across the mobo, to smoke
and burning smell as i fired it up having forgot to re-attach the
heatsink when iwas switching this around as well- stop laughing at the
back!). Either way, I thru the CPU and the MOBO in the bin and got a
couple of replacements. Athlon 2200 and an Asus a7v266-e, practically
identical to the ones that came out.

Now, though, not a lot happens. I've installed the modo, wired it up,
installed the CPU and the heatsink (carefully with a nice piece of
thermal stuff as well). Wired in all the main peripherals (HDD,
graphics card, ) and fired it up, or at least tried to fire it up.
There is a lot of whirring of fans and a few clicks here and their, but
then nothing. So a few pointer on where to start looking would be most
appreciated. I do not even get a beep from the internal speaker so i do
not appear to get past first base, never mind a flicker of life from
the monitor.

Any help most appreciated

wookie

... take a look at these links and good luck .. I suggest you clear the CMOS
first .. either by cables or take out the battery for 10 minutes or so.
unplug the stuff you don't need and just plug in the Hard drive, keyboard
and video card .. and make sure your RAM is seated correctly in their slots.
If the fans come on at first and then shutdown it could be you did not
install your CPU and or your CPU cooler correctly... there is usually
protection that if these aren't set up right it will turn off your computer
very quickly.

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/troubleshooting.ars
http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2004/w1509/02w01/02w01.asp&guid=
http://www.daileyint.com/hmdpc/handtoc.htm
http://forums.techguy.org/

"dmac" <drmcl@drmcl.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, I knew i should not have got into this hardware stuff, but I could
> not help myself and now i'd like to get it to work just to kep my
> sanity.
>
> First, a quick dip into the problem history, then the current hiccup.
>
> I tried to to upgrade my processor and messed it up. (take your pick
> from the screwdriver slipped and careerred across the mobo, to smoke
> and burning smell as i fired it up having forgot to re-attach the
> heatsink when iwas switching this around as well- stop laughing at the
> back!). Either way, I thru the CPU and the MOBO in the bin and got a
> couple of replacements. Athlon 2200 and an Asus a7v266-e, practically
> identical to the ones that came out.
>
> Now, though, not a lot happens. I've installed the modo, wired it up,
> installed the CPU and the heatsink (carefully with a nice piece of
> thermal stuff as well). Wired in all the main peripherals (HDD,
> graphics card, ) and fired it up, or at least tried to fire it up.
> There is a lot of whirring of fans and a few clicks here and their, but
> then nothing. So a few pointer on where to start looking would be most
> appreciated. I do not even get a beep from the internal speaker so i do
> not appear to get past first base, never mind a flicker of life from
> the monitor.
>
> Any help most appreciated

Paul

Splendid

In article <1119366949.935642.287300@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "dmac"
<drmcl@drmcl.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi, I knew i should not have got into this hardware stuff, but I could
> not help myself and now i'd like to get it to work just to kep my
> sanity.
>
> First, a quick dip into the problem history, then the current hiccup.
>
> I tried to to upgrade my processor and messed it up. (take your pick
> from the screwdriver slipped and careerred across the mobo, to smoke
> and burning smell as i fired it up having forgot to re-attach the
> heatsink when iwas switching this around as well- stop laughing at the
> back!). Either way, I thru the CPU and the MOBO in the bin and got a
> couple of replacements. Athlon 2200 and an Asus a7v266-e, practically
> identical to the ones that came out.
>
> Now, though, not a lot happens. I've installed the modo, wired it up,
> installed the CPU and the heatsink (carefully with a nice piece of
> thermal stuff as well). Wired in all the main peripherals (HDD,
> graphics card, ) and fired it up, or at least tried to fire it up.
> There is a lot of whirring of fans and a few clicks here and their, but
> then nothing. So a few pointer on where to start looking would be most
> appreciated. I do not even get a beep from the internal speaker so i do
> not appear to get past first base, never mind a flicker of life from
> the monitor.
>
> Any help most appreciated

The A7V266-E has lots of jumpers. Even if you are trying to use
JumperFree mode, the jumpers still have to be put in their
"safe" positions. Take a pass through the manual, and verify
that each set of jumpers is adjusted the way it is supposed to
be. Jumperfree mode might make life a bit simpler, as that might
make it easier to get a response from the system.

As for the 2200+, I think there are a couple different models,
but they are both Thoroughbreds (i.e. not Palomino).
133MHz x 13.5 multiplier = 1800MHz.

XP Model 8 Thoroughbred FSB cache Mult
CPU ID 0681  1800 (2200+) OPGA 133 256   13.5x 1.60V 85oC 57.0W
CPU ID 0680  1800 (2200+) OPGA 133 256   13.5x 1.65V 85oC 61.7W

Also, when installing the heatsink, it is possible the contact
patch on the bottom of the heatsink is not symmetric. There
are two orientations of the heatsink - if the heatsink
was rotated 180 degrees from the proper position, the contact
patch will not line up with the die. This can result in only
half the CPU silicon die being in contact with the heatsink.
The half that is not cooled gets very hot, and that is not
good for the CPU.

Paul

milleron

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:38:38 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <1119366949.935642.287300@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, "dmac"
><drmcl@drmcl.free-online.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi, I knew i should not have got into this hardware stuff, but I could
>> not help myself and now i'd like to get it to work just to kep my
>> sanity.
>>
>> First, a quick dip into the problem history, then the current hiccup.
>>
>> I tried to to upgrade my processor and messed it up. (take your pick
>> from the screwdriver slipped and careerred across the mobo, to smoke
>> and burning smell as i fired it up having forgot to re-attach the
>> heatsink when iwas switching this around as well- stop laughing at the
>> back!). Either way, I thru the CPU and the MOBO in the bin and got a
>> couple of replacements. Athlon 2200 and an Asus a7v266-e, practically
>> identical to the ones that came out.
>>
>> Now, though, not a lot happens. I've installed the modo, wired it up,
>> installed the CPU and the heatsink (carefully with a nice piece of
>> thermal stuff as well). Wired in all the main peripherals (HDD,
>> graphics card, ) and fired it up, or at least tried to fire it up.
>> There is a lot of whirring of fans and a few clicks here and their, but
>> then nothing. So a few pointer on where to start looking would be most
>> appreciated. I do not even get a beep from the internal speaker so i do
>> not appear to get past first base, never mind a flicker of life from
>> the monitor.
>>
>> Any help most appreciated
>
>The A7V266-E has lots of jumpers. Even if you are trying to use
>JumperFree mode, the jumpers still have to be put in their
>"safe" positions. Take a pass through the manual, and verify
>that each set of jumpers is adjusted the way it is supposed to
>be. Jumperfree mode might make life a bit simpler, as that might
>make it easier to get a response from the system.
>
>As for the 2200+, I think there are a couple different models,
>but they are both Thoroughbreds (i.e. not Palomino).
>133MHz x 13.5 multiplier = 1800MHz.

I'm pretty sure you're on the right track here, Paul. I currently
have an A7M266, and when I upgraded to a 2100+, I had to be sure to
find a Palomino (I bought one just as they were vanishing from the
retail channels). To go above a 2100+ OR to use a Thoroughbred
required performing a "wire trick" in the socket. The same
restrictions applied to the original A7V266, but I'm pretty sure that
the A7V266-e WILL work with a Thoroughbred-core processor. However,
it's been stated that it requires setting the "PALO_FREQ Jumper to
1-2."

dmac, please make sure that jumper is in that position and let us know
if it makes a difference.

Some have said it requires a 1007 BIOS, others report success with a
1003 BIOS and the Palomino Frequency jumper in it's original position.
Who knows? This is obsolete technology, so it's difficult to dig up
current info on it.

>XP Model 8 Thoroughbred FSB cache Mult
>CPU ID 0681  1800 (2200+) OPGA 133 256   13.5x 1.60V 85oC 57.0W
>CPU ID 0680  1800 (2200+) OPGA 133 256   13.5x 1.65V 85oC 61.7W
>
>Also, when installing the heatsink, it is possible the contact
>patch on the bottom of the heatsink is not symmetric. There
>are two orientations of the heatsink - if the heatsink
>was rotated 180 degrees from the proper position, the contact
>patch will not line up with the die. This can result in only
>half the CPU silicon die being in contact with the heatsink.
>The half that is not cooled gets very hot, and that is not
>good for the CPU.
>
> Paul

Ron

dmac

Thanks for the suggestions troops, but I'm still no further forward.
Made sure we were in Jumper-free mode, tried the CMOS reset trick,
tried the palamino trick, changed ram ,changed video card, ran with
minimun peripherals but still nothing but the cooling hum of of various
fans and a click or two from the HDD as it powers up, but then nothing,
no bleeps, no noise no nothin. Might try and source another CPU on eBay
and throw that at it, otherwise whats my options?

DMAC

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"dmac" <drmcl@drmcl.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, I knew i should not have got into this hardware stuff, but I could
> not help myself and now i'd like to get it to work just to kep my
> sanity.
>
> First, a quick dip into the problem history, then the current hiccup.
>
> I tried to to upgrade my processor and messed it up. (take your pick
> from the screwdriver slipped and careerred across the mobo, to smoke
> and burning smell as i fired it up having forgot to re-attach the
> heatsink when iwas switching this around as well- stop laughing at the
> back!). Either way, I thru the CPU and the MOBO in the bin and got a
> couple of replacements. Athlon 2200 and an Asus a7v266-e, practically
> identical to the ones that came out.
>
> Now, though, not a lot happens. I've installed the modo, wired it up,
> installed the CPU and the heatsink (carefully with a nice piece of
> thermal stuff as well). Wired in all the main peripherals (HDD,
> graphics card, ) and fired it up, or at least tried to fire it up.
> There is a lot of whirring of fans and a few clicks here and their, but
> then nothing. So a few pointer on where to start looking would be most
> appreciated. I do not even get a beep from the internal speaker so i do
> not appear to get past first base, never mind a flicker of life from
> the monitor.
>
> Any help most appreciated

The last time I had a problem like this it turned out to be a grounding
problem i.e the motherboard mounting pins inside the case were alligned
differently to holes on the motherboard. One of pins was touching the
circuits of the MB. The problem and solution only became apparent by testing
the system ouside the case first.

wookie

If you test it outside the case .. put it on the nonstatic bag that it came
in and be very careful.
"sean" <spam_me_good@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "dmac" <drmcl@drmcl.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi, I knew i should not have got into this hardware stuff, but I could
>> not help myself and now i'd like to get it to work just to kep my
>> sanity.
>>
>> First, a quick dip into the problem history, then the current hiccup.
>>
>> I tried to to upgrade my processor and messed it up. (take your pick
>> from the screwdriver slipped and careerred across the mobo, to smoke
>> and burning smell as i fired it up having forgot to re-attach the
>> heatsink when iwas switching this around as well- stop laughing at the
>> back!). Either way, I thru the CPU and the MOBO in the bin and got a
>> couple of replacements. Athlon 2200 and an Asus a7v266-e, practically
>> identical to the ones that came out.
>>
>> Now, though, not a lot happens. I've installed the modo, wired it up,
>> installed the CPU and the heatsink (carefully with a nice piece of
>> thermal stuff as well). Wired in all the main peripherals (HDD,
>> graphics card, ) and fired it up, or at least tried to fire it up.
>> There is a lot of whirring of fans and a few clicks here and their, but
>> then nothing. So a few pointer on where to start looking would be most
>> appreciated. I do not even get a beep from the internal speaker so i do
>> not appear to get past first base, never mind a flicker of life from
>> the monitor.
>>
>> Any help most appreciated
>
> The last time I had a problem like this it turned out to be a grounding
> problem i.e the motherboard mounting pins inside the case were alligned
> differently to holes on the motherboard. One of pins was touching the
> circuits of the MB. The problem and solution only became apparent by
> testing the system ouside the case first.

Make sure the cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan header on the motherboard.

"dmac" <drmcl@drmcl.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi, I knew i should not have got into this hardware stuff, but I could
> not help myself and now i'd like to get it to work just to kep my
> sanity.
>
> First, a quick dip into the problem history, then the current hiccup.
>
> I tried to to upgrade my processor and messed it up. (take your pick
> from the screwdriver slipped and careerred across the mobo, to smoke
> and burning smell as i fired it up having forgot to re-attach the
> heatsink when iwas switching this around as well- stop laughing at the
> back!). Either way, I thru the CPU and the MOBO in the bin and got a
> couple of replacements. Athlon 2200 and an Asus a7v266-e, practically
> identical to the ones that came out.
>
> Now, though, not a lot happens. I've installed the modo, wired it up,
> installed the CPU and the heatsink (carefully with a nice piece of
> thermal stuff as well). Wired in all the main peripherals (HDD,
> graphics card, ) and fired it up, or at least tried to fire it up.
> There is a lot of whirring of fans and a few clicks here and their, but
> then nothing. So a few pointer on where to start looking would be most
> appreciated. I do not even get a beep from the internal speaker so i do
> not appear to get past first base, never mind a flicker of life from
> the monitor.
>
> Any help most appreciated

Paul

Splendid

In article <1119437562.846630.154300@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "dmac"
<drmcl@drmcl.free-online.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions troops, but I'm still no further forward.
> Made sure we were in Jumper-free mode, tried the CMOS reset trick,
> tried the palamino trick, changed ram ,changed video card, ran with
> minimun peripherals but still nothing but the cooling hum of of various
> fans and a click or two from the HDD as it powers up, but then nothing,
> no bleeps, no noise no nothin. Might try and source another CPU on eBay
> and throw that at it, otherwise whats my options?
>
> DMAC

What PCB release is your motherboard ? There is a release
number printed in white letters, and maybe that is why you
cannot POST. I've read one claim, that the issue is the PLL
on the processor core clock generator (inside the processor),
and late revision boards have the necessary PI filter to remove
noise for the PLL voltage supply pin. That is what the
reference to revision 1.07 PCB below is all about. (When you
plug in a processor, it is the luck of the draw, as to whether
the processor can stand the noise on the PLL voltage supply pin
or not. Since the pin would be soldered to a solid copper plane
on the older boards, this would be a very difficult thing to fix
with hardware hacking. You would need to drill the pin, then
replace it somehow with a filtered connection to the core power
supply. And the details on the filter are only available
from an AMD representative, as the necessary AMD motherboard
design guide is not available for download.)

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

*******************
A7V266-E
CPU Since PCB Since BIOS

Athlon 1000 (200 MHz FSB)   ALL 1002
Athlon 1000 (266 MHz FSB)   ALL 1002
Athlon 1100 (200 MHz FSB)   ALL 1002
Athlon 1133 (266 MHz FSB)   ALL 1002
Athlon 1200 (200 MHz FSB)   ALL 1002
Athlon 1200 (266 MHz FSB)   ALL 1002
Athlon 1300 (200 MHz FSB)   ALL 1002
Athlon 1333 (266 MHz FSB)   ALL 1002
Athlon 1400 (200 MHz FSB)   ALL 1002
Athlon 1400 (266 MHz FSB)   ALL 1002
Athlon 700    ALL 1002
Athlon 750   ALL 1002
Athlon 800   ALL 1002
Athlon 850   ALL 1002
Athlon 900   ALL 1002
Athlon 950   ALL 1002
Athlon XP 1500+(Model 6)(Palomino)   1.07 1010
Athlon XP 1600+(Model 6)(Palomino)   1.07 1010
Athlon XP 1700+(Model 6)(Palomino)   1.07 1010
Athlon XP 1700+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.07 1010
Athlon XP 1800+(Model 6)(Palomino)   1.07 1010
Athlon XP 1800+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.07 1010
Athlon XP 1900+(Model 6)(Palomino)   1.07 1010
Athlon XP 1900+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.07 1010
Athlon XP 2000+(Model 10)(Thorton)   1.07 1015.001
Athlon XP 2000+(Model 6)(Palomino)   1.07 1010
Athlon XP 2000+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.07 1010
Athlon XP 2100+(Model 6)(Palomino)   1.07 1010
Athlon XP 2100+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.07 1010
Athlon XP 2200+(Model 10)(Thorton)   1.07 1015.001
Athlon XP 2200+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.07 1010 <---
Athlon XP 2400+(Model 10)(Thorton)   1.07 1015.001
Athlon XP 2400+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.07 1011
Athlon XP 2600+(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) 1.07 1011
Duron 1000 (Model 7)(Morgan)   ALL 1006
Duron 1100 (Model 7)(Morgan)   ALL 1006
Duron 1200 (Model 7)(Morgan)   ALL 1006
Duron 1300 (Model 7)(Morgan)   ALL 1006
Duron 1400 (Model 8)(Applebred)   1.07 1015.002
Duron 1600 (Model 8)(Applebred)   1.07 1015.002
Duron 1800 (Model 8)(Applebred)   1.07 1015.002
Duron 600 (Model 3)   ALL 1002
Duron 650 (Model 3)   ALL 1002
Duron 700 (Model 3)   ALL 1002
Duron 750 (Model 3)   ALL 1002
Duron 800 (Model 3)   ALL 1002
Duron 850 (Model 3)   ALL 1002
Duron 900 (Model 3)   ALL 1002
Duron 900 (Model 7)(Morgan)   ALL 1002
Duron 950 (Model 3)   ALL 1002
Duron 950 (Model 7)(Morgan)   ALL 1002

I forgot all about this issue, until I visited

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com

today. They have a forum and there is a search engine you can
use to search the posts there. In the search page, you change the
max number of days from the default "7" to "1000", to get more
hits. When I saw a post discussing the revision number, I went
back and looked at the cpusupport web page.

Paul